Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Orange5 – rear shock psi help
  • hora
    Free Member

How much do you weigh and what psi do you run?

Im still faffin. Ive done the sag check. It doesnt seem logical/work. Im 95kg's and struggling abit.

retro83
    Free Member

What's not logical about it?
    Easy to get obsessed with getting (especially rear) sus working perfectly ime.

Take a step back, set the sag to 30% and put the adjusters in the middle.

Ride it for a month and decide whats not right with it. Make a small adjustment if needed and ride it for a while again.
    You'll never be happy if you're always faffing with it 😉

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Had mine since Jan09 and took me a good while to work out exactly how I like it. I weigh 14st and run pressure at about 200lb. Probably seems high(?) but I get full travel on 2 or 3ft drops.

CheesybeanZ

weigh 180, psi 170 , pro pedale on 3

hora
    Free Member

I'm trying to figure if my shock is faulty. There seems to be a slight oil trail from around the dial/lockout but Im not sure if this is from the air valve itself from normal operation when faffin.

It either packs down or acts as though the rebound has blown- there doesnt seem to be a mid-point.

nickegg
    Free Member

I change mine all the time depending on how much kit i have on me (camelbak full etc.)

Thats the great thing about air shocks 🙄

If i'm doing a long ride and have a full camelbak but don't want to end up with a near rigid shock by the time my camelbak is empty i set the sag with medium (2) on which helps prop up the rear until i have less water then just leave the shock open, if that makes sense?????

Anyway, works for me!

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I've prob got a different RP23 to yourself hora as I've had my Five since May '07.

I usually set mine via the sag method, between 25-30% depending. I'm 13st, run between 160 and 180 psi with 2 to 4 clicks back from the slowest rebound setting.

charlierevell
    Free Member

91kgs… just over 200psi with camelback on.
    Cant get the rebound right with that pressure, at max its still a little pogo stick like!

GaryLake
    Free Member

160lbs kitted up, 150psi for normal riding, 170psi for racing/marathons…

Quite a lot of rebound damping…

With the Five, 1psi per 1lb of body weight isn't a bad starting point…

hora
    Free Member

charlierevell +1 (exactly).

King of biccies- its an 09 shock RP3 pro pedal so might be? The 2010 one has the boost/different circuitry.

glenh
    Free Member

(assuming it's a fox shock) What rebound tune does your shock have Hora (should be a sticker on it)?

If you have a relatively small frame your shock might be valved with too little rebound damping for your weight unless you almost close it off (hence pack down).

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

hora – give Mojo a ring and talk through your issues/concerns and current setup. I've often found they are very helpful and will advise on the best approach.

hora
    Free Member

glenh, will check when back in. K'o'B's – good point

foxyrider
    Free Member

Hmm – I have been bottoming out recently – am around 77-78Kg and just had to put it up to 200 psi – this seems a little high to me? 09' Orange 5 with RP23 09'.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I did have issues with my RP23 squeaking in the first year. Mojo told me that there were known issues with some of the internal seals and that these had been corrected in newer versions. They corrected free of charge under warranty and I've not had issues since

Maybe the '09 shocks have similar performance related issues?

Is there also a case that single pivot designs create much more stress on the shock than linkage driven ones and perhaps need different components/adjustments/fettling/settings?

Del

2007 5's have a standard tune rp23.
    2008's have a low compression tune rp23.
    think 2009 have the same ( but happy to be corrected ), and 2010 have that piggy back thing that someone else mentioned i think.
    2008, 76kg, with just over 200psi IIRC.

Del

in fact why not cut to the chase and stick it on the classifieds now?

charlierevell
    Free Member

Mines a 2010 Boooooosted shock… and its mid rebound and comp on a Medium frame. If i were keeping it the shock would be going back for a high rebound tune!

hora
    Free Member

Jeesus! Based on that Im totally under-pressuring my shock!

hora
    Free Member

Ok, just off the phone to a lovely lady at Mojo. She recommended going back to the Sag on this type of shock/frame as critical first off:
    Full riding gear (full camelbak I guess as well), feet on pedals and ensure sag is 25%. Thats when your pressure is right.

Interesting to note:
    (On the rebound dial)
    Halfway to full fast no effect on rebound at all.
    Whereas:
    Halfway to full slow is where the action is cutting in.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Jeesus! Based on that Im totally under-pressuring my shock!

That doesn't sound right, mine's '08 and I'm 72kg running 150psi (30% sag)

bungalistic
    Free Member

As what others have mentioned above take your weight in lbs then use that as your base psi, so if you weigh 95kg – 210lbs = 210psi or so.

Check the sag and work from there, bare in mind there is no perfect setting for all types of riding and it will take time to work our what works best for you and where you ride.

bowglie

Normally run between 190-200psi with my 2010 boost valve RP23, I typically weigh 89Kg in full riding kit. That air pressure gives around 25% sag with no Propedal.

If you haven't done it (& it hasn't been mentioned) already, it might be an idea to check the stroke length of your shock to get the right sag percentage – I have an idea that the stroke length of shocks on the 5's changed in '08/09….but I might be wrong!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Orange5 – rear shock psi help’ is closed to new replies.