Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Orange, Whyte or Bird?
  • thorpie
    Free Member

As above, thinking about getting a full sus for my 40th next month. Don’t need or want mega travel so I have kind of narrowed my choice down to three models. The Orange Four, Whyte T130rs or Bird Aeris 120. Looking at each model cost wise the Orange is practically pricing itself out of the market with the spec choices I would make, the T130 looks well specced for the price and I did own one of the first models (liked the ride but the limited rear tyre clearance was a pain. They seem to have sorted this). The Bird looks incredible value for money and fully specced up is still cheaper than the Whyte and about £1100 cheaper than the Orange! Of the three what are the real world experiences and opinions? Should I be looking at anything else for 3k?
    Cheers, Trevor.

dallas95
    Free Member

Giant Anthem 1.
    Fox suspension, XT drivetrain/brakes, carbon wheels, dropper post and boost hubs.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/anthem-1

qwerty
    Free Member

You “should” be able to test ride all three of those. The Bird will give you the most scope for customization of build and the ability to speak with the guys (Ben?) behind the company. The Whyte is a great off the shelf package, UK design. The Orange will gain you exceptional IrnBru kudos when in Halifax and offers the ability to upgrade…. at a cost. All have modern geometry and won’t ride badly, but a test ride will split the hairs in your buying process.

markshires
    Free Member

The oranges felt very similar geometry wise to the Bird, (orange 5,6 and I rode a segment) The whyte although not a bad ride, I was a bit underwhelmed by it, I don’t know if it was a case of having too high expectations from all the good reviews?

I ended up with an Aeris and have no regrets.

jruk
    Free Member

If you can, go and test ride both Aeriseses at Bird HQ so you can speak to Dan or Ben about set up for a proper test. That said, I didn’t and picked a mk1.5 Aeris based on the numbers and a phone call with Dan. Loved it ever since.

mark90
    Free Member

Test ride the bikes to see what you like best. If you still can’t decide just buy the Bird on value and service*

* I had a warranty issue with my Bird, nothing wrong wrong with the frame, just the same parts you get fitted to 1000’s of other bikes. Bike was out of action for a total of 5 days, didn’t even miss a ride.

Oh and the bikes are **** ace too 8)

jaylittle
    Free Member

Seems like a nice position to be in. Another thumbs up here for bird service/support.

dvowles82
    Free Member

I’ve owned a T130 (2015) and an Aeris (mark 1), the Aeris being what I ride now.

Aeris ticks all the boxes, at a great price.

Geometry has of course changed for both of the above bikes since.

Orange overpriced IMO.

I’d go for an Aeris.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Hah, my 40th next month too! I demoed the Aeris 145 a couple of weeks ago (review on here somewhere) and really liked it. Their proximity to me and how awesome the guys there are made it a no-brainer. Just need to pop back up and sort out the spec..

zer0cool
    Free Member

The Bird looks like a top bike, not sure if the external cabling would bother me though. Petty I know, but it would.
    Orange is a lot of money. Whyte T130s doesnt get a bad word said about it. Nice to have such a such a great choice of British bikes.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d probably go for the Bird with GX, Pike RC, DT Swiss wheels and Guide brake upgrades.

Maybe upgrade the shock too, as it’s much cheaper than doing so later.

External cable-routing is a big plus for me.

devash
    Free Member

All three are great choices and I’m sure you’ll be happy with either or.

Bird will offer the best value, Orange the least, Whyte somewhere in the middle.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I’ll recommend one I’ve ridden but don’t own in the Rose Bikes Granite Chief. The travel is more than you want but it’s very well mannered, flys up, flys down and an easy bike to ride all day. The new updated version isn’t quite a snip but still high value and fully customisable using the configurator. Plus you get a uk rep and you can demo.

I’ll recommend one I don’t in the Aeris. Whilst the T130 gets a lot of love and nice warranty, it’s a bit weighty, and the customisation on the Bird will swing it.

thorpie
    Free Member

Seems like Bird is the word!

fettlin

Bollocks to value! It’s your 40th birthday present, get the bike you want not the one the internet tells you to 🙂

Test ride them all and go with the one that makes you smile the most, not the one that pleases the finance officer the most.

And for balance, I bought a Four based on smiles per mile after test riding loads of bikes (cheaper and more expensive!).

iainc

First reply suggested Anthem 1. I rode a Whyte 130RS, a Four and the Anthem. For me the Giant felt lighter and most nimble so I bought one. Only ridden it a couple of times so far and very impressed. It replaced an Anthem SX and is quite different.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Cotic flare?

Bagstard
    Free Member

Bird every time, compare the warranty! Great bikes, great team and peace of mind.

lawman91

The Orange is good, but imo the Whyte is better, felt more sophisticated and controlled than the Orange. Haven’t ridden by the Aeris but a quick look over the geometry makes me wonder if it will feel a bit tank-like, despite the short travel. It’s very very similar to my old Mondraker Foxy, which was fast but felt like too much bike a lot of the time, particularly on tighter trails. The Whyte felt a much better all-rounder to me. The bird is excellent value and you hear good things about the Warranty but my Whyte hasn’t missed a beat so far!

weeksy

I only had a car park test on the Bird Aeris but own the Whyte T-130, but it’s a 2015 Whyte which is less extreme in the geomtry, having sat on the newer Whyte T-130’s and the Bird, they’re very similar in how they feel IMO, not much at all in it.

I went for the Whyte, but an older model as it was crazy cheap, but is absolutely brilliant.

ogden
    Free Member

I’d go for this bird. It’s not that I’m against external cable routing, it’s that they got straight through the logos on the frame, like it was forgotten about.

soulrider
    Free Member

Banshee Phantom
    just sayin’

thorpie
    Free Member

Hmm, it seems most people think Bird. I do like Orange bikes and own a Clockwork 29er but how can they realistically expect me to pay more than a thousand quid extra for a bike that still isn’t as well specced as the Bird or Whyte? My local Je James has both the Orange and Whyte in store and there is s Giant store in Sheffield (I’m in Rotherham) so I could test ride those but I’d have a job test riding a Bird I think. What about a Santa Cruz 5010? Probably have to be second hand for the money mind.

jruk
    Free Member

@thorpie – if you want a test ride, it might be worth joining the Bird owners group on Facebook and asking of anyone close-ish to you has one.

harrytoo
    Free Member

Very interested in this thread, going through the same myself.

Any real world experience of the weight of the Aeris One20? The reviews I’ve read say “It feels light”.

Also am I going to be forever kicking myself for not waiting for the One45?

For the riding I do these days I cannot see that a weighty enduro 6″ trail slayer would be my weapon of choice, but a light, nimble 120mm might.

zer0cool
    Free Member

Just to throw another one in the mix, Specialized Camber falls in the same travel spec too if thats of any interest?

stevedoc
    Free Member

I cant say anything about the Bird ,but I have ridden both a 130 and a Four.

The t130 was a great bike and deserves the praise it gets ,really nice ..

BUT

The Four just shouldn’t work, I say this as my besty bought an ex demo from Orange and I steal it all the time ,Very light hence why we call it a cheat bike and point it down hill and its like a stabbed rat ,really wouldn’t think its only running 130mm and 120mm travel at the rear ..

Both great bikes but I know where my money would be

AlexSimon

For the riding I do these days I cannot see that a weighty enduro 6″ trail slayer would be my weapon of choice, but a light, nimble 120mm might.

Well my current model Aeris (at 140) doesn’t feel cumbersome, but then it does have a few bits of carbon. Weight is 29lb.
    I don’t think I’ve ever felt overbiked, in fact it out-climbs all my previous bikes.
    I would have to try the 120 to compare really.
    I think Bird have demos of both – so why not make a trip out of it and make sure?

ransos
    Free Member

ST tested the Anthem 1 recently, if memory serves they really liked it.

iainc

^^^^^^ yes, the article was really useful and helped in my decision a bit :

here…

thomthumb
    Free Member

havent ridden the orange.

demoed the bird 140 & the t130.

I’d have the bird. all day.

oldeh
    Free Member

if you make a trip of it you an demo both the bird and the whyte at swinley forest. The bird guys are neat by and they have the whyte range at swinley bike hub.

chestrockwell

but how can they realistically expect me to pay more than a thousand quid extra for a bike that still isn’t as well specced as the Bird or Whyte?

Because you’re getting a hand built in the uk frame. Up to you if it makes a difference.

Orange will be worth more when you come to sell. Once again, up to you if it makes a difference.

I’d get the Orange. I like Orange bikes.

ransos
    Free Member

^^^^^^ yes, the article was really useful and helped in my decision a bit :

here…

Interesting. I have an older Anthem and have fitted it with longer forks, wider bars, bigger tyres etc. It seems Giant have come to the same conclusion!

BoardinBob

Currently in process of building up an Aeris 120. Should be finished tonight or tomorrow and a maiden ride this weekend. Lovely frame straight out the box

steel4real
    Free Member

Thorpie – one you may not have considered but they are local to you…..

AIRDROP – Edit

russyh
    Free Member

That Airdrop Edit V2 is a nice looking frame. Glad they have now made a stealth routed option as the original, which seemed crazy to me,

four
    Free Member

I own a 2016 Four, have ridden a 2017 T130RS and prefer the Orange ‘feel’ but it’s lower spec.

The Anthem 1 looks very good!

leftyboy
    Free Member

I have a 2015 T1-30 Works, a riding buddy has an Bird Aeris 140 and if I was buying again now I’d go with the Bird.

Having said that i like the Orange Four but the lower spec for the money does make it a hard choice.

Decent distance/terrain test rides are probably the best way to decide, one of them will probably just feel right.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Orange, Whyte or Bird?’ is closed to new replies.