Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Orange ST4, Frame troubles
  • bedfo
    Free Member

Hi all

I have recently bought an ST4 frame, its an 08 model. Just wondering if anybody out there has had any issues with theirs? I have been riding mine for a couple of months now and there is a small crack developing on the weld at the top of the rocker mount on the down tube.

I'm not too worried about it as I have the warranty, however I am a bit miffed, I thought Oranges were well known for being pretty rugged.

I have had issues with commencal Meta 5 frames, I went through 3, they all cracked in a similar place. I assumed those issues were due to poor quality manufacture, however I am beginning to wonder if its something to do with my riding? I am light, 9.5 stone, I ride aggressively but am generally pretty smooth, no big drops to flat or anything like that!

Interested to know of any known problems with the ST4

Cheers

mattstreet

Got an ST4 and can't say I've had any problems. Seem to recall someone once having a rear-end that wasn't long enough (causing the rear wheel to collide with the seat tube) and there's certainly been a thread on here some time ago about a 'crack' on the down-tube rocker mount before, but IIRC it was simply the lacquer/paint, not the frame or welding. At 9.5 stone, you should do very well to cause it any harm unless you've ended up with a dodgy one!

So, could be just the paintjob. Got any pictures?

myheadsashed

Is it just the paint cracking?

rubberneck
    Free Member

exchange it for a 5 mate 😈

bedfo
    Free Member

Its not just the paint, it is running through the weld. I am an aerospace engineer and have a fair idea of a crack when I see one, paint on a weld does not just crack! Most people wouldnt even notice it but I have become pretty good at spotting these little cracks after so many commencals!

I think there probably have been a few issues with the original frames, I have noticed that on the newer models the weld has been brought round the top of the rocker mount slightly.

Rubberneck, thanks for the usefull advice… I rode a 5 and ST4 (demo bikes sent from Orange) together for a day on the DH trails at the forest of dean, in comparison to the ST4 the 5 felt like a bag of spanners, just didnt get on with it. In my book the ST4 is a better bike, I wont be exchanging it for a 5!

BigBob
    Free Member

Phone orange up, or email them a few photos, im sure they will sort you out as quickly as they can, they have already been good to me.

Which leads me onto a bike that hasn't! Bit of a hijack, but you don't happen to have any linkage plates (the triangle rocker plates) off of your meta do you, mine has cracked and im desperately tring to get hold of a set :(.

j_me
    Free Member

Did you buy it new? Beware as the warranty will probably only cover the original owner.

bedfo
    Free Member

Bigbob, Sorry every warranty replacement I had was an entire frame and I flogged the last one. So I have no Spare commencal parts.

j_me yeah I bought it new. Rutlands cycles had a batch of small 08 frames that they were selling at a discounted price. I'm assured I have the standard warranty on it.

mattstreet

Unlucky bedfo – expect Orange will make good of it though.
    If you do take any photos, could you post them up so I know what to keep check on!? 😯

Surfr
    Free Member

I had one lf those Rutland 08 frams and I encounterd a problem with the cable guide. My thread on the subject is here: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/orange-st4-cable-routing-question and I can confirm that Orange were exemplary in their handling of the situation and replaced the rear stays for 2010 versions for free without question. If it *is* a crack, drop them a line and send some photos. I expect you will get the same great level of service which I did.

PS, Great choice of bike. I adore mine.

bedfo
    Free Member

Mattstreet, I'm not sure I could get the crack to show up on a photo as it currently is, its tiny. I'm off to Verbier for a week at the end of the month, I imagine that'll open it up a bit! Will get some pics and get it back to Orange then, will keep you all posted on how I get on…..

tonyg2003

A friend at the Gorrick winter series late last year brought along his new ST4 and snapped the rocker on a very small drop off. He was highly miffed and the ST4 went back for a refund.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Touch wood, mines been fine + i've not been particularly careful with it. I think the '10 frames did have a different weld. Get Orange on the case, they seem to genuinely care + want to sort problems out.

bedfo
    Free Member

Well just thought i'd finish this thread off now that everything has been sorted.

The frame went back to Rutlands and Orange have been amazing. I decided I didnt want another ST4 as although they ride brilliantly they just are not up to what I was asking of it. Orange took my 08 ST4 and replaced it with a 2010 Five for no extra cost! I didnt really weant a five but it does seem to be the only 140mm frame out there that can take a bit of stick. I'll learn to love I I reckon.

Just building it up tonight, Orange service is top!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Orange ST4, Frame troubles’ is closed to new replies.