Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Orange P7, what size seat post and clamp?
  • newro97
    Free Member

google is really letting me down today, does any one know what size seat post and seat post clamp the 2010 P7 takes? the frame is the same as the 09 i think, and i remember something about it being shimmed?? or have i just made this up?

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

Mine is a bog standard 27.2 seat tube. No shims needed. Clamp comes with the frame. (So long as it's not hooky!)

crispedwheel
    Free Member

My 2009 P7 is a 32mm seat clamp (you can also use a 31.8mm clamp, which is what I'm doing). It takes a 29.6 seatpost, but I'm using a 27.2 seatpost shimmed up to fit – the whole issue of the shimmed seattube on the orange website confused me as well initially!
    HTH

br1zz
    Free Member

I have measured my 2010 P7 seat tube and bought a 30.0mm hope clamp which arrived yesterday and fits perfectly. The seat post is marked up as 27.2 if you remove it. However, I am still having to tighten the clamp up to a ridiculous degree just to get the seat post to stop slipping. I have wondered about a shim because of this – I seem to remember the P7 being shimmed at some point, but I'm not sure if the new reynolds tubing on the 2010 frame has done away with that ? I really though a quality clamp might solve the problem as the post has consistently slipped over rough terrain even though the bike has had very little use ( about 6 weeks old, but ridden very little due to a host of other component problems )
    It's a pity because I have ridden the bike with everything working (once!) and it was fantastic, but little things like a loose seat post can ruin the experience.
    Anybody else with a recent P7 with any knowledge about this ?

RichPenny
    Free Member

My P7, a 2007 I think, uses a 27.2 with a shim. It won't take a 31.8 bolted collar, despite my best efforts.

br1zz
    Free Member

RichPenny – are you saying your tube is too big for a 31.8 ?

I though I'd made a mistake when the 30.0 clamp arrived – it looked tiny – but it slipped straight on – that would indicate that the outside diameter of the seat tube is different on the 2010 frame

RichPenny
    Free Member

Yep, have a nice hope bolted clamp in the toolbox to prove it! As above, I measured the outer diameter with a vernier, and IIRC it was 32, which surprised me greatly. The **** thing would not fit, despite the use of a variety of tools that I shouldn't be allowed to use 🙂

Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

The seat post is 27.2mm and the clamp is 29.8mm, so for br1zz thats why you are getting the slipping. I am currently building up the 2010 P7 frame and I also have a Hope 30.0mm clamp, so its not good news to my ears knowing that I'm likely to get the same problem 🙁

Danger-Mouse
    Free Member

forgot to mention that the new 2010 P7 frame does not use the shim, so the post just slots in 😀

br1zz
    Free Member

I got the slipping with the stock clamp too (no size marked on it)

I had been told that you can go slightly bigger when fitting a clamp – I don't think you can get a 29.8mm hope clamp anyway – but surely a clamp can close a gap of 0.1mm around the tube ?

jond
    Free Member

FWIW the specs for the last several years are on the orange website…

me1onhead
    Free Member

I bought a Hope clamp for mine. OEM QR clamp was shite.

Kuco

Seat post is 27.2
    Seat collar is 29.8 this is confirmed by an e-mail I had from Orange.

takisawa2

IIRC the Cotic Soul has a 29.8 seat-tube O/D. I phoned Hope & they said they had started supplying Cotic with 30mm clamps, & that 0.2mm is nowt at that dia. I know its not a P7, but on the Soul I had the 30mm clamp worked perfectly.

LMT
    Free Member

Mines a 2009 and came with a metal shim fitted so the seat post is 27.2 unsure what it is without the shim as the damn thing won't come out!

enfht
    Free Member

I use a 30mm Hope clamp on mine. I'm amazed how lame the new P7 frames look. Crappy decals, no more silky smooth welds, even the Union flag is now just a sticker. Bad work Orange! I'll be gutted if my 2008 ever gets nicked and I need to replace.

br1zz
    Free Member

enfht, is your P7 a 2010 ? If so does it have a shim ?

I thought this would be a minor niggle to solve, but the post is still slipping even with the s**t tightened out of the hope clamp – and i've only been on tarmac since I fitted it !
    This bike took nearly 9 months to arrive (long story) so there's no way I'm sending it back to the shop 'cos I might never see it again – I need to fix this myself – any help or info about the 2010 set up appreciated.

BTW the post looks a bit of a mess because the original clamp scratched it when it slipped – nothing too deep, but I'm wondering if it's possible to clamp the post at all if it is getting damaged before it even grips ?

jond
    Free Member

I've an '03 P7 – I've gone back to using the original non-qr clamp 'cos even the original shim/post were sufficiently sloppy that a qr clamp with nylon bearing material in the clamp I could never tighten enough – eventually it wrecked the clamp. Gawd knows what they reamed the thing with, feels like there's more ripples than you'd find on yer average Ann Summers product…

I'd go up a size on the shim diameter (or down a size on the inside diameter) if possible – if it all fits together by hand there shouldn't be a problem.

ChatsworthMusters
    Free Member

This bike took nearly 9 months to arrive (long story) so there's no way I'm sending it back to the shop 'cos I might never see it again – I need to fix this myself – any help or info about the 2010 set up appreciated.

Can't be a 2010 model then. The 2010 frames come with a seat clamp on them. No shims supplied or needed for a seat post of 27.2. Mine hasn't slipped, siezed or in any way misbehaved, since I got it in early September. It was one of the first to be released, but don't think they've changed specs at all.

OP was asking about 2010 models; not sure why we're talking about 2007/2008/2009 or even 2003 frames.

Kuco

Mines a 2010 model and the post hasn't slipped.

br1zz
    Free Member

Mine is 2010. In fact I ordered a late 2008 originally, but had to wait so long I too got one of the first 2010 frames in September 😡
    I'll contact the shop for advice because it is slipping with the supplied clamp or the hope one installed.

scandalousg
    Free Member

br1zz, did you get this sorted?

I'm having the same problem with mine, what stopped it in the end?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Orange P7, what size seat post and clamp?’ is closed to new replies.