Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Orange P7 2011 dropouts?
  • pondering_panda
    Free Member

I am seriously considering one of these as they seem to be the only single-speed steel hardtail out there that is a little more on the “hardcore” side of things. However, I have heard of problems with the dropouts slipping on earlier models with two bolts to secure the dropout on either side. Does anyone run a 2011 model with three bolts as a single-speed? Has the third bolt solved the problem?

crispedwheel
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2010 model (I think), with 3 bolts on the driveside, and 2 on the non-driveside. In singlespeed guise, I’ve had very few problems with it, after I realised that the bolts have to be done up *very* tightly. It’s been my SS for the last 14 months or so, and is pretty much exclusively what I’m riding off-road at the moment. It’s going back to being my main geared bike in the new year, but only because I’m buying a Simple frame for SS duties. The P7 is a great frame ime.

Mackem

I’ve got a 2008/9 one, the original dropouts slipped, but the updated ones (only 2 bolts) have been fine. I’d assume the 3 bolt ones are even more secure.

pondering_panda
    Free Member

OK, that lays my fears to rest a little. How tightly do you mean when you say “*very*” tight though? Will I struggle to get the required torque with a multi-tool?

Del

i have a 2010 with 3 bolts/side. i don’t do them up any more tightly than i would do on my old 853 inbred which had 2/side, and don’t get any slippage issues.
    you’ll have no trouble with a multi-tool unless you are particularly limp-wristed.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Yes, no problem with just a multi tool.

pondering_panda
    Free Member

Cheers. 🙂

shorts_in_winter
    Free Member

And if you buy the SS specific drive side dropout it comes with beefier bolts too so you can tighten more as required.

shaxi
    Free Member

well ,good tips ! 8)

PJay
    Free Member

How hardcore do you want? Pipedream should have their 2012 Sirius frames landing soon (I’ve got a 2010 that I ride geared). They’ve got sliding dropouts (Paragon or something similar). They’ll take up to a 130mm fork (unless the 2012s have changed) and they now have tapered headtubes.

I’d guess that they may be a bit cheaper than a P7 too.

meehaja
    Free Member

mine slipped a little, chrispedwheel is right, you have to do it up very tight, and my multi tool was adequate but the bolts were a bit cheese like. I replaced them with Ti bolts and haven’t had to adjust it since, which is nice. Running purely SS since I got the bike in Nov 2010.

senorj

I have a 2010 model – no problems on mine – gears though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Orange P7 2011 dropouts?’ is closed to new replies.