Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Orange Five Sizing
  • samj
    Free Member

Hi Guys, im 5′ 7″ (170cm) and looking to buy an orange five.

Im just wandering re size whether to go for 16″ or 18″ fitted with a shorter stem (50mm)

looking at the size charts, i think the 18″ works for 5′ 7 to 6’1, but wandered if anyone has any experience /advice.

It doesnt look like im going to get a chance to test ride (I’m living abroad atm, and we dont get that here) so any thoughts appreciated.

thanks in advance,
    Sam

flow
    Free Member

Definitely 16″

Thread closed

Sim

What he says.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what he says 16 ” no doubts
    I have an 18″ at 5 ft 9 and think it will be too big. I reckon that height is about the start point. an 09 model though

samj
    Free Member

so.. zero hesitation there. thanks guys!

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Defo 16″ im 5 ft 9 an have a 16″ with 50mm stem and it feels perfect!

old_mtber
    Free Member

I’m 5’8″ and ride a 16″ – just right for me with the standard 70mm stem.
    The 18″ frame makes for a very big bike

randomjeremy
    Free Member

5’10 here 16″ perfect

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

6ft here and an 18″

Def go 16″.

flow
    Free Member

5’10 here 16″ perfect

Really? I’m 5’11” and tried both, 16″ felt very cramped.

T666DOM

5’10” here. I find my 18 is perfect with a 70mm stem, for me a 16 felt way too cramped. Originally had a 90mm stem which was a bit long, might try a 50mm at some point if the fancy takes me!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

T666DOM – I’ve run an 80, 70, 65 and 50mm stem so far. The 50 (unsurprisingly) is great for steeper, techier stuff with forks wound up, but a little cramped for all day riding. The 70 was great for most things and certainly better/roomier for ‘XC’, but became a little bit of a handful on the techier stuff after riding with the 50mm back-to-back (I think the ‘back-to-back’ there is probably the biggest problem with that statement, although it was interesting to see how much difference 20mm makes).

If the Five was my only bike (I ride a hardtail locally) I’d run a 70. As it’s purely for ‘bigger’ riding, the 50 is staying on there.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

flow – Member

5’10 here 16″ perfect

Really? I’m 5’11” and tried both, 16″ felt very cramped.

Mmm possibly a little on steep climbs but I’m a fat shit so I’m usually walking by then. Flat / down it’s spot on.

T666DOM

PJ I usually ride the 5 for techier stuff too, it’s more of an AM build with 36 TALAS’s on at the mo but I’ve just bought myself a pair of Lyrik coil U turns and I’m very tempted by a double barrel if I can get it past the missus!
    The 70 compared to the 90 seemed to make a big difference, more than I imagined, just didn’t fancy making a 40mm jump but I’ll prob change my mind when I get the lyriks on.

hepsta
    Free Member

I’m 5’8 and a 16″ frame is spot on for me.

mah05
    Free Member

Iam 5.7 I had an 18 but sold it and got a 16 much better

prahran
    Free Member

I hear that there’s a 17″ Five coming for 2012

hepsta
    Free Member

I hear that there’s a 17″ Five coming for 2012

Good idea. I hope they do!!

Rorschach
    Free Member

They are doing another limited run of the ‘strange’ 5 which went on to form the basis of the current 5.Its an 18″ frame but with a 16″ seat tube.They did 25 of them about 18 months ago.

woofersco
    Free Member

I am 5’8″ (shortish legs) and have a 2007/8 “16” with a 50mm stem. It is great in every respect but I find myself feeling a bit hunched up when climbing……

Without wishing to hijack the thread do you guys think a 70mm or 90mm stem would be the way to go or get a laid back seatpost?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Layback post. 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

PJ I usually ride the 5 for techier stuff too, it’s more of an AM build with 36 TALAS’s on at the mo but I’ve just bought myself a pair of Lyrik coil U turns and I’m very tempted by a double barrel if I can get it past the missus!
    The 70 compared to the 90 seemed to make a big difference, more than I imagined, just didn’t fancy making a 40mm jump but I’ll prob change my mind when I get the lyriks on.

Sounds like mine. Go 50 – if you like the techier stuff then I doubt you’ll regret it. 🙂

Jeffus
    Free Member

[They are doing another limited run of the ‘strange’ 5 which went on to form the basis of the current 5.Its an 18″ frame but with a 16″ seat tube.They did 25 of them about 18 months ago. ]

mbarnes
    Free Member

17″ orange five out now

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five Sizing’ is closed to new replies.