Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Orange Five Rear Mech ??
  • Andy-W
    Free Member

At the moment i have the one that came on the bike , its a 2009 Pro with a long cage Shimano XT M772 9 Speed, I have binned the 44t outer ring and now run just the 22 and the 32 with a bash ring…on the rear is a 11-34 cassette.
    I guess i can fit a medium cage mech but what about a short one ??
    And am i better sticking with the shimano XT or is it worth trying someting else

Cheers

Andy

trailflow
    Free Member

Whats wrong with keeping the long cage mech and just shorten the chain ?

steel4real
    Free Member

As above, if you’re only running two front rings, first step is to just shorten the chain.

Personally I run medium length rear mechs out of preference woth twin chain rings(slightly less chain, slightly more clear of crud = lighter & maybe les damage) but if your exisitng mech is still working OK wait until it breaks before changing it.

Short cage not an option as you can only get them in Saint

Andy-W
    Free Member

Cheers chaps,
    I should have said the rear mech is well past it’s best,
    and also in need of a set of jockey so I want/need a new one anyway

I guess it’s only two or four links max that need to come off the chain

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Short cage not an option as you can only get them in Saint

or any of the road groupset mechs, which DHers etc used for years prior to shimano doing the Saint.

Mister-P
    Free Member

A road mech will struggle to cope with a 34T sprocket, they move through a more shallow arc than an MTB mech so they can foul the cassette. DHers use them as they tend to use road cassettes too.

steel4real
    Free Member

Well said Mister P – I wondered what MC was thinking (don’t you work for Madison ?).

Also, for simplicity, the OP has an Orange 5 the same model year as mine so I know that it is easier to keep the cable routing & length he already has for the shadow mech. The exit point from the swingarm suits them better than conventional mechs.

Andy-W
    Free Member

Cheers Chaps !

I will just go shoppin for the same i have now but in the medium cage size.

Andy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five Rear Mech ??’ is closed to new replies.