Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Orange Five or Trek ex 9.9?? advice please
  • monsteryeti
    Free Member

They do not ride large, I reckon it’s worth the trip. 8)

dickie
    Free Member

I love the orange but can’t get over the spec I can get in the form of a Trek fuel ex 9.9 for the same sort of cash.

Orange 5 Pro £2,800.
    Trek Fuel EX9.9 Carbon £6,500.
    😕

Is it an old model Trek?

wavejumper
    Free Member

2011 orange 5 about £2k
    2011 EX9.9 – £2.4k for the one I’ve been offered.

dickie
    Free Member

Nice!
    Trek for me if it has a warranty.

skywalker
    Free Member

Carbon frame with no warranty, I would go for the Five.

A fella on our local forum bought a 2010 EX 9.9 new, within 2 weeks a single rock strike to the downtube wrote the frame off. He was offered a new frame at a discount price.

wavejumper
    Free Member

Yeah no warranty. Hmmmm. Maybe now looking at the Orange.
    I’m liking the look of Santa Cruz’s as well.
    I wish I was more decisive there’s too much choice out there.

munrobiker
    Free Member

If anything, no warranty will be better on a carbon frame as it can be repaired, while an alloy one can’t.

I’d definitely have a sit on a 17.5″ Trek- I’m 5’10” and like the 18.5″ (though most people my height opt for the 19.5″).

creamegg
    Free Member

I have a Five and love it but i also like the look of those transition coverts!

monsteryeti
    Free Member

I am 6ft and ride a 18.5 trek but only have 31″ inside leg (lots of seatpost showing!)

You will be fine on th 17.5″

Ask the seller for the receipt / invoice for the bike and you should be ok. That way you take it to your LBS to be warranteed.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

2k is a fortune to spend on a used bike, why not widen the field? Banner ad for a new 3k Scott for 2k next to forum, YT, Canyon or old stock at Pauls Cycles will get you a similar deal. Given how different the
    2 bikes are and how big your budget strange that you are limiting yourself to these 2 bikes.

skywalker
    Free Member

I’m liking the look of Santa Cruz’s as well.

Santa Cruz come up very short for the size, a 17″ has a 571mm TT, same with Transition.

If anything, no warranty will be better on a carbon frame as it can be repaired, while an alloy one can’t.

Who is really going to want to ride a repaired bike? The chances of carbon getting damaged are greater than alloy IME.

wiggo1976
    Free Member

Hi. I’m selling my little used trek fuel 9.9 2011 virtual 17.5 on this site, advertised at £3k but flexible on price within reason. This was £6k new and fully loaded with top kit as standard. Leicester location 07842185559 text or call after 8pm as at work. Thanks wiggo1976

wavejumper
    Free Member

I’ve just been and sat on a 17.5″. It seems just a little too stretched out for my liking. Back to the drawing board. 😕

b45her
    Free Member

i’d say its all down to how you ride , i’ve owned an ex9 and currently have a five , if going up is your main priority go for the ex its a marginaly better climber but theres not much in .

when it comes to decending their not even comparable ,the ex is totaly outclassed , only a total wendy would claim the ex is more fun at a trail center .

chakaping
    Free Member

Carbon frame with no warranty, I would go for the Five.

Got to agree with this.

If I had enough cash for secondhand carbon, I’d buy new carbon instead and get a guarantee.

I’d go new with your budget probably, plenty of great bikes around.

mildred

If I had £2k to spend on a trail bike there is no way on this planet that i would be looking 2nd hand. NO WAY. There is such huge choice out there in what is currently a buyer’s market, that a shop would be insane not to treat you like a biking God with that kind of money clutched in your sweaty mits.

These are good solid bikes at ‘bargain’ prices, and I only looked at leisure lakes – most shops will have similar bargains at this time of year so go out there, waste a few days playing with bikes and have a re-think on what you want:
    http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/product/cannondalejekyll3fullsuspensioncrosscountrybike2011-sale.aspx?&id=15215

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/product/orangest4profullsuspensioncrosscountrymountainbike2011-sale.aspx?&id=16529

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/product/scottgeniuslt30mountainbike2011-sale.aspx?&id=15111

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/product/scottgeniuslt40mountainbike2011-sale.aspx?&id=15112

Northwind

Of those 2, I’d have the ex but only because I’ve already got a bike that does the same job as a Five, only better 😉 It’s just got to come down to what suits you better, neither is better or worse than the other, too different.

(and I’m a known pikey but I don’t know why people would put a top ceiling on buying used… It’ll always get you more bike for your money whether you’re spending £200 or £2000. It’s more money to lose if you buy badly, mind.)

b45her
    Free Member

canyon nerve 8.0x is incredible value for not much more than 2 grand too.

sportsmatch
    Free Member

I,m only just under 5’6″ I swapped the 90mm stem for a 60mm with a slight rise found it much better
    carbon 5 out soon when they learn how to bend and weld the carbon 😆

xiphon
    Free Member

Ask yourself how much the spec difference (disregard the geo/suspension for a moment) will change your riding?

monogramman
    Free Member

How about a Whyte T120? Brand new £2K maybe less if you haggle, alloy & carbon. 5 year warranty, and I’m sure they will have a size to suit you.

Light enough for climbing and very good going down, Shorter travel for the xc bits

skywalker
    Free Member

i’d say its all down to how you ride , i’ve owned an ex9 and currently have a five , if going up is your main priority go for the ex its a marginaly better climber but theres not much in .

when it comes to decending their not even comparable ,the ex is totaly outclassed , only a total wendy would claim the ex is more fun at a trail center .

Exactly what I found too.

Ask yourself how much the spec difference (disregard the geo/suspension for a moment) will change your riding?

It won’t at all.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five or Trek ex 9.9?? advice please’ is closed to new replies.