Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Orange Five or Transition Covert……Or Heckler
  • nmdbase
    Free Member

OK, I have to make the choice! 16″ Five will fit pretty well and, an all rounder but I’m not too keen on the look. Transition Covert is nice, ticks the boxes etc but the small is very short, the medium too tall, I will use it for everything maybe too cramped?

A good deal is available on both of these, £1000 for the Five frame and £1050 for the Covert.

Or keep my Heckler!!

honourablegeorge

Where’s that Covert deal?

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I really want a go on a covert, they look beautiful!

MRanger156
    Free Member

I think ebay has some good deals for covert frames – think they are from bike shops just using ebay to sell some old(ish) stock.

160, 150 or 140 up front?

If 160mm I’d go for the Covert but I’m biased 😀

nmdbase
    Free Member

I have Revelations so up to 150mm

skywalker
    Free Member

😆

steve_b77
    Free Member

My mate is selling a 2009 16″ Five frame in grey with a hope headset & seat-clamp.

Also he’s got a set of 2009 Fox Float 140’s with the FiT RLC cartridge fitted if you’re interested

nmdbase
    Free Member

No ta,, I’d buy new 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

No worries, worth a try

skywalker
    Free Member

I’d get this

messiah
    Free Member

Currently liking the look of the Devinci Dixon.

sambob
    Free Member

That Remedy is a reet bargain.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Too big though

ask1974
    Free Member

Hi nmdbase, I test rode both a Five Pro and Covert recently and must say they are very similar bikes. Both are fantastic with a tendency to make you risk life and limb. IMO the Five felt slightly better balanced over technical terrain whereas with the Covert you just rode though (or over) it. The Five felt very slightly faster on flat trails and really alive downhill (that Five magic), both climb competently. This was just my analysis based on the two I tested.

The Covert I rode was around 32lb and very nicely put together (X9, X0, 160 Talas etc…), a heavier build would have started to feel a bit too rugged. I suggest you get a demo on both, if you can’t you’ll be happy either way. I lost a few nights sleep deciding which I wanted and ended up with a Five… But that was me. I spent a few £££ and my Five is around the 29lb mark, I also think I managed to make an inherently ugly bike look alright!

This is the Covert that I test rode.

And this is the Five I built up with the help of my LBS. Really, really 😛

nmdbase
    Free Member

Thanks for that ask1974, your five is very nice indeed 🙂 I’m leaning towards the five I think, it would be interesting to get more opinions.

cheez0
    Free Member

Hmm, five in grey, reminds me a bit of..

skywalker
    Free Member

Better looking than a Crackandfail RZ 120…

Danno72
    Free Member

Just found this Covert frame for sale. Good price!

http://www.southerndownhill.com/forum/index.php/topic,257714.0.html

hugh_b
    Free Member

I had a five for around 2 years and i now ride a covert. Both very similar, both good bikes.

I’d say the covert feels a little more positive on the rear and not as “wallowy” as the five but i like a lot of features of the five and it too is great fun to ride!

I’d say the quality of the five is better such as super tough paint work and the single set of bearings is great for UK winters.

You won’t go wrong with either. I too didn’t like the look of the five but it grew on me the more i rode it!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five or Transition Covert……Or Heckler’ is closed to new replies.