Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Orange Five Main Pivot Bearings
  • Shepdon
    Free Member

I need to replace the main pivot bearings on my orange 5 as I have noticed play in them.
    1. Are they easy to change?
    2. Where could I find a step by step guide for this particular task?
    3. do the end caps need to be replaced along with the bearings?

Cheers

grantway
    Free Member

Yep should all be done in 15 mins

There is a guide on the Orange web site and plus they
    sell the bearings and end caps too,approx £15 quid.
    You will also need to buy some copper seal
    basicaly Copper grease, you get this from
    local mechanic type places.

tracknicko
    Free Member

yes.

google.

no!

votchy
    Free Member

Don't be afraid to tw4t the swingarm to drift the bearings off, the welded area is very solid. Not sure what you need copperslip for though, never used it on mine.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Copper slip is for the central pivot axle so it doesn't stick 🙂 Done it once – fairly simple but use a ruber hammer and rag to prevent marking the paintwork 🙂

joolsburger
    Free Member

Better to get the bearings out with a threaded rod and some nuts and big washers.. twatting things with hammers is only a good idea in banger racing.

votchy
    Free Member

Twatting the swingarm is the approved way of removing the bearings, can't see how a threaded rod and big washers can remove them

Artillerydave
    Free Member

+1 for the big rubber mallet method on the Orange website instructions method. it is a very simple job. No copperslip here either just a bit of grease on mine.

clareymorris

I concur – twatting is required!

Three_Fish
    Free Member

…can’t see how a threaded rod and big washers can remove them

And therefore it must be impossible?

Washer on back side of bearing; socket large enough to fit a bearing in on the frame on the other side; bolt/rod through the whole lot; nut on each end; tighten both nuts and the bearing will be pushed out into the socket. With the right size presses, bearings can be removed and fitted easily and without any need for a hammer. Similar set-up works for fitting headsets.

oreetmon
    Free Member

photos please 3F, still cant work out your method.

Northwind

Simple enough assuming you can get a washer onto the inside of the bearing.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I’m not at my home computer, so I’ve had to pull this from an old guide I did for early FSR frames. Does that make it any clearer?

Also see this guide for pulling bearings from a DMR hub (which includes lots of hammering!!).

clareymorris

That doesn’t look much like my pivot bearing, or am I being (as usual) rubbish?

jordie
    Free Member

i dont understand either how that would work on a Five. I had to dremel the inner race off as it was completly stuck on the frame

igm

Sorry 3Fish, that won’t work on a Five as the bit you want to put the threaded rod through is in fact solid.

I think.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Bugger. Does anyone have a close-up picture of the bearings? How are the new ones supposed to be fitted?

jordie
    Free Member

using the swing arm tighen/loosen one side and start knocking one side then the other

lovell
    Free Member

The main pivot on a five is actually a welded in axle (always has been) the bearings sit on this and require the hitting method. is fairly straightforward

RichPenny
    Free Member

Also had to dremel the inner race off one side. Copper slip for me also… Prepare to **** the swingarm harder than you’d like.

GaryLake
    Free Member

foxyrider: aren’t you doing a guide soon? 😉

flamejob
    Free Member

+1 for the ‘Bang the total crap out of it then it didn’t move so I had to Dremel it out’ method.

Use copper grease on the frame axle kids, it’s the safe way to go.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

I’ve never had one that needed a Dremel to remove the bearings and I’ve worked for an Orange dealer for over 10 years.
    If it doesn’t move off the axle, break out the plusgas and wait a few minutes, then try again.
    It’s usually a gentle tap on the swingarm to push the bearing over that’s required.
    Then seat the new bearing, and press it into place with the end caps. These press on the inner race to seat the bearing correctly as the pinch bolts on the outer race fix the swingarm into it’s final position over the seated bearing. Simples!

scuttler

Helpful pictorial guide here – http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/orange-five-pivot-bearing-service.htm

Thanks Richard Fox. I’m guessing you’re foxyrider from your profile email (watch out Clouseau). Some very useful stuff on there and I’ll be having a go at the Five bearings next week.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five Main Pivot Bearings’ is closed to new replies.