Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Orange Five – How Many Do Orange Sell?
  • laggingbehindagain
    Free Member

Does anyone know how many Orange sell in a year, they are everywhere on the trails.
    Is it because they have won ‘trail bike of the year’ again.

Lummox

its cos they’re ace and properly versatile, see my vid in the bike forum

Junkyard
    Free Member

i think it is because it is easily noticeable* ie trek, specialized etc have different models.

* everyone can recognise the lines [scaffolding] of an orange

jp
    Free Member

I’m afraid I may have compounded the problem – ordered mine earlier this week!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Last I knew a couple of years ago,all models in total…..around 4000.And they sell more G series than everything else put together.

ibis
    Free Member

Cattle

Ewan
    Free Member

Probably less than you think – The Orange 5 design has been unchanged for 15 – 16 years now so a lot of them you see will be quite old but you can’t tell them apart.

Wookster

Such a good bike. Tried a few mates bikes 575, zesty, heckler, owned ibis mojo myself but the five is still my favourite bike just love it. I’ll buy another one if I ever kill this one 😆

5lab

the first design similar to the 5 was the 1999 MrXc (I still own mine which was the first one sold), so it’s only 12 years ago 😀 before that they had the UFO which was a y frame design

stuey
    Free Member

I loved my Mr XC (So did the guy in Sheffield who bought it from me)

Ewan
    Free Member

the first design similar to the 5 was the 1999 MrXc (I still own mine which was the first one sold), so it’s only 12 years ago before that they had the UFO which was a y frame design

Don’t think that’s right? The first Orange 5 appeared in 1995, and was used by MBUK as their downhill team bike – it’s fundementally unchanged since, all they’ve done is put progressively longer forks on it to slacken it off as per the fashion.

There was a BikeMagic article with a tour around the Orange factory – they use an alu folding machine they got from a bankrupt office furniture supplier – to change the dies would cost hundreds of thousands.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Funnily enough I don’t see that many around Halifax, most folk I see round here seem to ride specialized.

Garry_Lager

There was a BikeMagic article with a tour around the Orange factory – they use an alu folding machine they got from a bankrupt office furniture supplier – to change the dies would cost hundreds of thousands.

Sure that’s true? Sounds like orange trying to subvert a sterotype. It’s harder to take the pish out of your mate’s five when it literally is a re-badged filing cabinet.

coogan
    Free Member

Office furniture eh?

Orange 5

Office furniture

coogan
    Free Member

My timing is most excellent.

Ewan
    Free Member

Yeah that’s def true – IIRC they had all kinds of trouble getting the machine to work as the sheet steel the office furnisher used was thinner than the alu. When they were setting it up for the first time, it was a case of get it right first time or else it’d cost thousands – I guess at some point they’ll buy a new machine and be able to change the design.

I would post the link but the Bike Magic site has been redone so I can’t track it down. Article was from a good few years ago before the filing cabinet joke started – thinking about it maybe that’s when it started!

4ndyB
    Free Member

Ewan

The Orange 5 did not appear in 1995

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=3364

The first Orange full suss bikes came out in 1996/7

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=3372

flow
    Free Member

That is absolute BS

Watch it and you will see that ain’t no office furniture machine 🙄

Ewan
    Free Member

Ah you’ve gone a spolit it 😀

4ndyB
    Free Member

Meh 😛 😉

The first Orange 5 was 2004

Before that was the Sub 5

flow
    Free Member

And this is what a mass production line looks like from a factory that sources its frames from a Taiwanese catalogue.

*Not picking on Cube, I imagine the rest are the same.

5lab

Don’t think that’s right? The first Orange 5 appeared in 1995, and was used by MBUK as their downhill team bike – it’s fundementally unchanged since, all they’ve done is put progressively longer forks on it to slacken it off as per the fashion.

the orange UFO (which came out in 96 or 97) and other full sus oranges of the same era were URT design. The first single pivot orange with the bb on the front triangle was (afaik) the ’99 mrXC, followed later in the same year by the patriot. The mrXC had a traditional front triangle, whereas the patriot had a downtube similar in look to the rear (ie big folded metal, rather than a ‘tube’)

honourablegeorge

I found that factory video fascinating.

Oh look, another one.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five – How Many Do Orange Sell?’ is closed to new replies.