Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Orange Five Chainset
  • Andy-W
    Free Member

I have the stock raceface chainset on my 09 Pro,Thinking about getting rid of the 44t outer ring for a 38 or 40,

Will just any outer ring fit or will it have to be a raceface jobbie

Cheers

Andy

nickegg
    Free Member

Doesn't have to be a Race Face specific one. I think those chainsets have a 104 BCD so a Shimano or Truvativ would fit as would a Middleburn one.

Go with a Middleburn if i were you. Running a slickshift/hardcoat 36 tooth on my Orange 5.

jonk

I thought the 5 had to have a 32 middle because of the pivot? Nick any problems with your 36?

nickegg
    Free Member

jonk – To run a 36tooth middle ring you need to fit 1 standard shimano spacer behind the BB cup or else the chain will hit the bearing cover and swingarm pivot when you drop to the granny ring.

I found that out the hard way but the frame was second-hand so i didn't mind.

As it turns out, i find that a 5 pedals horribly in the granny ring anyway! The suspension becomes waaaay to active.

I going to ditch the granny ring on my new 5 and just run the outer and middle. Using the outer/middle is actually way more efficent IMO.

Andy-W
    Free Member

I would never get round my weekend ride if i got rid of my granny cog !!,,,as for getting shut of the 44t outer i only ever use it if i find myself on the road while out in the peaks..and i bashed a few teeth of it the other week so a little more ground clearance would be nice

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five Chainset’ is closed to new replies.