Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Orange dealers, Glasgow
  • matthewmountain
    Free Member

Any recommendations for Orange dealers within the Glasgow area. I know there's Gear in the West End and Bikes-Behind Bars on the South side.

Is there anything to choose between them? I've no expereince of either shop but value good service. Gear is closer to where I ive but unfortunately neither is my LBS!

Thanks

Matthew

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Both have been good any time i have been in, never bought a bike from either though.

iainc

I got my 5 from Behind Bars in Shawlands 18 months ago. Great service. They did sort me a free upgrade on the fork when they cut the steerer too short at the initial setup, so I was a happy customer. I also got their demo bike for a week FOC while they sourced me new forks

I've not been back in as it's not my LBS, but I would reccomend them

jammer
    Free Member

I've used behind bars a few times for new brakes, forks etc and found them very good.

I've never used gear so can't comment.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Well, never did I think that I'd be able to speak with authority on any topic in the Bike Forum, but here's my invitation…

Gear is my LBS (across the park), and from them I bought my P7 – 5 and a half years ago now (****, is it that long?).
    Joe, the owner, was very patient and helpful as were his staff at the time (John and Struan, both now moved on).
    At the time, this was the most expensive item I'd ever bought in my life, so I wanted to know I wasn't being misguided. I needn't have worried.

I still have my P7 (at the time I was buying it as a 'bike for life') and I still love having it and I appreciate all the help I got from Gear.
    Anytime I have wee niggles with the bike or need it looked at, I pop it in there and the guys are really helpful – if they can fix it there and then they will, or if not they'll be honest and say when they can.

I think the quality of their service shows up in the fact that the shop has a steady stream of customers, who all seem content.

Now, Behind Bars is where I bought my 5, ten months ago (****, is that long? Where does the time go?).
    A more patient, helpful and understanding sales team I couldn't have asked for. Really.
    I had circumstances which required delicate handling [basically the 5 was an impulse buy:
    ex-demo;right-price;beautiful-colour; spite-my-girlfriend-'cos-we-were-not-getting-on;OMG-WHID-she'll-kill-me;my-details?-okay,but-don't-phone-the-house;can-I-keep-it-here-for-a-few-days-until-I-know-where-to-hide-it?;yadda yadda yadda]

But they took it all in their stride, and obliged me where possible.
    Unfortunately they are not so local for me (across town), so I don't partake of their services as much as I might like to. Again, they seem a busy shop, with lots of customers in and out during my time in there.

So, what is my suggestion?
    I wouldn't recommend one over another, as my experience with both is excellent.
    Neither are big in terms of floor space, so they don't carry a wide range of demo-bikes. However, they'll talk with you, answer your questions and do their best to help you out.

Awrrabest

iainc

Mike T – was it the Apple green 5 you bought ?

BoardinBob

I live across the road from Bikes Behind Bars and I've always had great service from them. Really friendly guys and there's one guy in particular, young maybe 23-ish that's very helpful. Definitely worth popping in to see them.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

IainC – it was winking at me through the window, and gently nudging the glass with its front tyre any time I walked past the shop. Eventually I took detours to drive past the shop, down Kilmarnock Road, in the hope that it would still be there. I had to make it mine.
    So, in a word, yes.
    Did I whip her away from under you? I hope you're not gonna tell me she's been about a bit!
    If it's bad news, be honest, but please, be gentle.

BoardinBob – I know one of the owners is called Duncan, and the young lad always reminds me of Gerard Butler, that Scottish actor, 'cos he looks a bit like him. His name is Chris.
    These two gents in particular were the ones I had the most dealings with, and it was a hassle-free and pleasurable experience.

matthewmountain – according to the website, BB have a 5 and an ST4 in their demo stock. The Orange website should have specifics on which frame sizes and colours are in that particular store on their 'dealers' tab.

have a good Friday night, one and all

iainc

Mike -T – a stunning bike that one 😛 I had it for an initial demo weekend, and then for a week waiting for my own one. I was going to tell you about when I came off it at the top of a section of steep steps at Mugdock and I landed at the top and the bike bounced all the way down……but then thought better of it……. 😛

nah, I treated it with respect and only had a couple of small tumbles, it was well taped up and still mint when I gave it back !

rj
    Free Member

Although Gear can get Orange, they don't tend to have them in stock. You're more likely to get a demo from Behind Bars and Chris knows his stuff. He also used to ride a 5 so he should be able to see you right.

allyharp

I haven't ever bought anything major from Gear, but they've always been very helpful in my experience. Got some really good advice when I was looking at Genesis bikes a few years ago, but didn't buy in the end.

Sadly I don't have much reason to go nowadays as they stopped selling Singletrack so I had to subscribe!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Orange dealers, Glasgow’ is closed to new replies.