Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Orange Crush or Orange P7 2016 ? (Ally v Steel)
  • COZZY
    Free Member

Orange Crush or Orange P7 2016 ?
    Was looking at a Whyte 905 originally. Going to out a few extra quid on top of a new car loan.
    Want something light simple with trail big smiles – just unsure of ally or steel…

Hello Callum …. how are you ?

Cheers K

wl
    Free Member

Got the new P7 and it’s mint. My nephew has the current Crush and it’s also mint (I rode with him yesterday and had a very quick spin). Crush is very slightly lighter (though that might be the build – Pikes vs Revs), and his large measures up very similar to my medium. I suspect the steel bike is a teeny bit more comfortable/springy but I reckon there won’t be much in it. Both very nice bikes and a total hoot downhill.

lee170
    Free Member

I have a 2015 crush and its immense, very confidence inspiring especially on the downs, i fitted a dropper post to which is a must imo.
    I seen the new p7 in my lbs a couple of weeks ago which looks the dogs to.

Both get great reviews so it’s a question of Alu or steel really

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Just been comparing these on paper.
    P7 is a degree slacker and has a longer wheelbase but only takes a 140mm fork (Crush = 150mm)
    BB is very low on the P7 too.
    I’m leaning towards Bird Zero AM instead but XL isn’t due in stock for months 🙁

goby

im demoing both at the weekend so will let you know! 🙂

wl
    Free Member

Ecky et al – just in case it helps…bb on the P7 is low, you’re right, but I’ve found it’s certainly not too low. Also, I’d be very surprised if you felt 140mm wasn’t enough on the front. I used to ride a hardtail with 160mm up front but I’d say 140mm is way better. I’m running Pikes and they’re very well controlled. Can’t see me ever wishing for longer forks, especially with the slack head angle (which is nicely offset by a very short stem to quicken the steering).

COZZY
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Look forward in reading your reply Goby after testing.

cheers

slimjim78
    Free Member

If you have to ask, then you don’t deserve the steel

COZZY
    Free Member

Ohh ouch man….
    Rode ally bikes for many moons that’s all havnt been down the steel is real route since 94 and my memory is sh*te and designs have moved on

chiefgrooveguru

BB drop is the same on both (I’d ignore BB height as it tends to be imprecise). P7 is a degree slacker head angle and a degree steeper seat angle, both good things in my book!

buckster
    Free Member

Steel for a HT all day every day IMHO!

slimjim78
    Free Member

Steel is the real deal for feel. It’s the 7th law of cycling.

Awesome hardtail material, looks the shizzle too. P7 is a fab looking frame and has me tempted to waste throw my money at one despite loving my current steel frame.

batman11
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the new P7 which does look nice, but I do have the new crush and Gotta say it is comfier than my last few steel framed hardtails.
    Production privee Shan,oka radley and older bfe.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

well goby, when do we get the head-to-head shoot-out ride report?

Leaning towards a P7 at the moment.
    Just waiting to see what on-one/Van Nic say about options to replace the broken 456 EVO Ti that I’ve sent back to them

wl
    Free Member

Done 6.5 hours of Calderdale’s finest trails today – bit of everything – and I wish I’d had energy to ride more, but I’m thoroughly knackered – the heat didn’t help. That P7 is bloody awesome. 140mm is perfect up front. Not saying the Crush isn’t awesome too, mind, and the mag reviews (if you take any notice of them) seem to say the current Crush is noticeably less harsh than its predecessor.

COZZY
    Free Member

Thanks for all the feed back – always helps from those in the know.

funkrodent

BUMP!

Thought I’d resurrect this thread as I seem to find myself spending a lot of time looking at these two hardtails. Currently have a 2Souls QuarterHorse which is great but would like a bit more room, a bit more reach if you will, as well as a slacker head angle. Looked at Stanton but even the XL 18″ is shorter than the QH with marginally more reach, Bird Zero just doesn’t float my boat looks wise (pathetic, I know) and I’ve yearned after an Orange hardtail since I was a kid (well, young man).

The 2017 options seem to have coalesced into virtually identical bikes. I’m a big proponent of “steel is real” and all that, but the Crush seems to be more compliant than you’d expect (winning in a hardcore hardtail shootout in MBUK the other day, partially on comfort) and will obviously be lighter.

Any real world thoughts? OP, did you buy one and if so how’s it gone. I’m looking at frame only so not fussed about spec options on full builds.

Thanks in advance!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Orange Crush or Orange P7 2016 ? (Ally v Steel)’ is closed to new replies.