Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Orange Blood alternatives
  • tworide
    Free Member

Since they stopped making the Orange Blood, and not wanting a second hand one, what’s a similar type of bike ?

Bottlerocket obviously but anything else that’s a hardcore FS trail thrasher?

goodgrief
    Free Member

NS Soda seems like an “evo” blood and it can be had for not much money.
    next year’s soda air has a slightly lighter frame by the looks of it

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Scott Voltage obviously.

Banshee make something, wildcard I think.

Just look at whatever the kids on pinkbike are riding (I bet they’re not on Orange Bloods either!)

tworide
    Free Member

Soda looks interesting. Voltage is way to heavy and dh for trails.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Voltage is way to heavy

And the bottlerocket isn’t???

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What trails are you planning on using this bike for exactly?

tworide
    Free Member

No idea haven’t ridden a bottletocket. Ridden all 3 voltages models and they are too heavy for trails.

tworide
    Free Member

Technical alpine descents.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Unless its changed, the bottle rocket weighs as much as a downhill frame (if not more)

tworide
    Free Member

I’m sure it is. No plans on buying one though.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Technical alpine descents.

Don’t think thats what the BR was made for. Big jumps and drops maybe…

Northwind

Last Herb 160?(haven’t ridden one myself, but this is the job it’s made for)

Was the Blood not dropped partly because it was effectively competing with the Alpine?

tworide
    Free Member

Not sure about the Last Herb, doesn’t do anything for me looks wise.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Nicolai ion14

tworide
    Free Member

Yeah Nicolai, you either like the industrial look or not.

Karl33to
    Free Member

Can’t believe nobody has mentioned the Alpine it’s perfect for Alpine descents – clues in the name.

Northwind

I can’t believe I mentioned the Alpine and you didn’t notice I mentioned the Alpine! Offended 🙁

sailor74
    Free Member

For freeride and DH type duties I would go with the Bottlerocket. For trail duties a Blur TRC would be similar if you fit it with Fox 36’s.
    For what its worth I think the Blur is a much better trail bike than the blood which was too heavy, not to mention the poorly tuned rear shock (I’m referring to the XV RP23 2010 model).
    You just have to be careful when speccing a fork to get the right axle/crown height.

However for ‘technical Alpine descents’ I wouldnt choose either. It would be an Orange Alpine/Santa Cruz Nomad if you are getting in lifts, or a Ibis Mojo HD if you are pedalling some of the ups.
    Last Herb is a good call, very nicely built frame and with the right components comes in pretty light.

godzilla
    Free Member

eBay item 300767652537

tworide
    Free Member

I’m looking for something new. Nomad and Alpine are very old bikes. Alpine is beyond old. Both are AM bikes, I looking for something more specific, I’ve had AM bikes and not after another generic trail bike.

NS Soda looks the most interesting so far.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Nukeproof mega, absolutely ideal.

sailor74
    Free Member

more specific in what respect? There isnt really anything more specific for ‘technical alpine trails’ than an Alpine/Nomad/Mojo.

sailor74
    Free Member

If you want new perhaps you should look at some 29ers. Trouble with new bikes is that you are taking a gamble, the best bikes tend to be the ones that have evolved over a few seasons.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Alpine and Nomad are “old” bikes, you say…so what?? 😯 Both fit the bill of your original brief of a “hardcore fs trail thraser”..

tworide
    Free Member

More single minded then. Not that interested in the AM ability just the descending/tech ability. 29ers are out, couldn’t even get one through the switchbacks on some of my local trails.

2013 Mega AM looks ok, 2012 sizing was a bit out for me.

andymac
    Free Member

Banshee Wildcard!!

bikeind
    Free Member

mega for a good price i would say.

Alpine if you have a bigger wallet

Northwind

Don’t really understand why you’d overlook a bike just because it’s been doing the thing you want for longer than some other bikes. I’m no Orange fan but the Alpine doesn’t get changed much because it’s never needed changed much.

tworide
    Free Member

The Alpine is basically a Patriot from 10 years ago – I had one, they were ok, nothing special, Bullit was better. Tried a Five – same bike, lighter, looks old. I certainly don’t want another one, never liked the design, hasn’t changed. Move on and perhaps so will Orange.

Banshee Wildcard – yeah that looks good, will investigate that and the Soda.

Thanks for all your suggestions and comments.

Northwind

The Alpine is basically a Patriot from 10 years ago – I had one, they were ok, nothing special, Bullit was better. Tried a Five – same bike

OK, not true at all but hey.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

You want something purely for the descending side of things? You mean a downhill bike?

If descending is all you want then a BR might be ok as I’m pretty sure they’re fine with big forks. Being more of a slopestyle bike though (like the NS Soda) you need to make sure its not going to be too short (which is where the Blood was good).

Santa Cruz Blur TRc might be an (expensive) option. My old Blur 4X had similarish angles and was superb in the Alps. From what I can see, the TRc is slightly longer which is a good thing as the 4X was short – its only pitfall.

I’m guessing looking at the Blood, its a shortish travel rear with big forks thing you want? Specialized Enduro of some description (the one with the 180mm Vanillas and coil shock) could be an option?

peterfastlane
    Free Member

Don’t know what you are thinking of spending, but Paul’s cycles are still doing the Scott voltage 10 for £1600 ( but only in short ) with a lighter wheel set / cranks / etc you can get it down a lot in weight. There is a £1600 saving from list which leaves money over for any upgrades.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think there is a reason the voltage is going cheap….

Sounds like you want something no-one else has that’s a bit niche. In reality a dh bike should be on the list. Alpine ain’t much special but the nomad c and ltc were (all demo’d at the same place) a blur lt or ltc with 160mm forks would be good.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

DMR Bolt.

peterfastlane
    Free Member

If money is no object I can see £6000 plus being easy to spend. Nomad carbon gets my vote.

thepodge
    Free Member

The Bolt is a bit of a porker & I think only 4″ but those Soda look very nice

edoverheels
    Free Member

The whole thing about the Blood was that it was stiff and strong and built like a downhill bike and so it was heavy but didn’t have much travel and so they only sold about 10 (unsurprisingly because most people think it is rubbish and pointless). But, if you get it, very low, very slack and tough then you love it. There is nothing good about them except they are great fun to ride. If I was only allowed only one bike (God forbid) it would be this one.

kudos100
    Free Member

Always wanted a blood, but the 27.2 seatpost put me off.

Have a look at the chumba xcl. Shit customer service, great frame.

tomaso
    Free Member

A Cove perhaps?

munkyboy
    Free Member

Nomad

Owned a blood, nomad and nomad 2, all really similar feeling with the nomads having a bit more travel / plush

All great fun, still own the blood if that has any meaning

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Orange Blood alternatives’ is closed to new replies.