Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Orange Alpine Riders HELP!!
  • deadpool2e
    Free Member

Hi all

New to the forum but been lurking for sometime. i am 5.9″ and not sure what size Orange Alpine frame to get?

do i go 16″ or 18″

Any current owners can you let me know your height and what one you have and how it ride both up and on the downs. I cannot get one to test so please dont say that.

Cheers

fingerbike
    Free Member

I’m 5’8″ found the 16″ to be the right size..
    Ended up getting an orange 5 though… 8)

Jimbo
    Free Member

So you’re looking at spending the thick end of £3000 on a pushbike, yet would rather rely on teh internetz for fit/size advice than going to the efforts of tracking one for a test ride? Madness.

deadpool2e
    Free Member

Fingerbike- did you try both sizes? why did you go with the 5 in the end?

I need a stronger bike as i have broken 5 frames and need something thats going to last.

3 Stumpjumpers & 2 Meta 5’s 🙁

deadpool2e
    Free Member

Jimbo- just buying the frame as have all the rest.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Yeah but you could still demo one for fit though!

markyd

I bought a Patriot66 a few years back as I was scared of breaking the ‘lighter’ Five. I should have listened to the lad in the shop “The Five will be fine, the Patriot is overkill unless you are spending alot of time in the Alps”. I’ve since bought a 4″ travel XC bike and the Patriot gets used for trail centres and the odd trip to the Alps (like once since I bought it). The rest of the time I ride the HT or 4″. The Alpine isn’t that much different to the Patriot66Xcel, really nice bike, can be ridden long miles, but heavy and Sofa like.

The Five will be fine, unless you live in Morzine or Les Gets. I can’t imagine you’d ever break it (I was 15.5st when I bought the Patriot and it was still overkill). Buy the Alpine if it’s NOT your only FS bike, if you want to do lots of miles and a few trips to the Alps then get the FIVE.

If you really are v.worried about breaking the frame then I’d suggest buying one of the big US names and getting a lifetime warranty. Orange only warrant frames (or bikes) for 1yr.

Lordoftheringsting
    Free Member

Hi Deadpool,im 6-1 and bought an 18in alpine. Find it a very good climber & even better when you point its nose south ! Not quite as good up as the 5 its replaced but then you would expect that considering the slacker angles. You really should try demoing one tho !

deadpool2e
    Free Member

OK thanks guys i will try and get a demo and let you know how i get on.

Richyb
    Free Member

A 2009 5 AM has actually got slacker angles than an Alpine 160. Less rear travel obviously but slacker angles.

ton

i know a few blokes with oranges………………and they all love em to bits…………….i think i could fancy one soon….. 😀

Richyb
    Free Member

Tony on an Orange?!?!

You heard about shag, Tony? broke his hand last night poor sod.

ton

potted up?? where did it happen??

Richyb
    Free Member

Trying to ride some stupid steps we’ve found over Honley way, not sure if its potted up, it was rotated or sumat so he’s had to have it pinned.

ton

shredder shredded eh………….. 😉

fingerbike
    Free Member

did you try both sizes? why did you go with the 5 in the end?

Yup, the 18″ was too big for me…
    I was going to be going back to Vancouver for a couple of years with work so looked to get a bike that I could happily ride there with occasional rides back up. That all changed so I ended up buying a bike that would be better for riding in UK, the 5. Its been great and I definitely don’t regret it. I’ve thrown it down and off some silly stuff and it hasn’t complained at all…

I picked up my shiny brand spanking new 160 last night and it looks the business!!

Im 5’10” so went for the 18″ and it feels a great fit. I test rode a 16″ five which was great on the downs, but was just way too small for climbing.

Im itching to get out on mine at the weekend. Oh, and I’ll need a new username!

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

my mechanic is 5;11 and he rides a 16″ but hes pretty lairy…..id always plump for a 5.we;ve been a dealer now for coming up 3 years and ive not done a warranty claim yet on a frame…ive got a customer whos 20stone and he’s only broke wheels on his five,he choses that more often over the 224 hes also got……just a thought!

steviep
    Free Member

I am 5ft 6in and have the Alpine in 16″ and it rocks! It climbs as steep as my legs will allow and point it down and wow!

bomberman
    Free Member

Pics needed!

genesis
    Free Member

Heavy? Huh? Our lead instructor has one and tbh it feels the same weight as my Cannondale Jekyll! I reckon my next rig will be a custom spec 20in Alpine.

furry_marmot
    Free Member

6’3″ here and have an old 18″ Patriot 66. I cannot imagine somebody 6″ shorter than me being comfortable on the 18″. I suggest you go for the 16″…

simonm
    Free Member

5’6″ and I ride the 16″ Alpine with a 60mm Stem, longer than my usual bikes but fits ok for me…just..31lbs with Talas 36’s.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Orange Alpine Riders HELP!!’ is closed to new replies.