Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Orange Alpine 160 Advice.
  • Rockdodger
    Free Member

I am looking at purchasing an Alpine 160 and would like some advice from anyone who is currently riding one.
    What do you see as its good and bad point,if any.
    Are there other makes of bikes available that are as good or better for less cash.
    Have you had the frame fail for any reason.
    Thanks

jonk

I have an Alpine and i can’t say there are any draw backs to owning one. I’ve taken it for 50+ mile rides in the lakes and peaks, to almost every trail centre in the north and on many uplift days and its been awesome at everything. It climbs as good as a five and goes down even better. I also have a older five which i don’t use too much anymore because the alpine is so good.
    One of the only downsides is its weight, mine has coils front and rear, saint stuff and 521 rims think it must weigh 35 lb.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

ive just recently bought an alpine, i upgraded the pedals/bars and stem to sunline v-one which is the upgrade for the freeride pack, the bars make the bike feel a whole different bike if you go for the upgrade imo! but the bike in general, awesome climber as said above just climbs like the 5 and decents like a full downhill bike, im also using the cane creek double barrel shock on the rear it can take rocks and drops like theres no tomorrow, yes it might be slightly heavier than ur average xc bike but ive tested a few bikes in the past and this bike was the best bike for me if your after something a little more than an xc bike that can still do uphills as well as downhills, if this is you then defo go for it 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

echo what the others have said. Mine replaced a Nomad. It descends and handles as well, and climbs better. Weight not a big issue for me I’ve got heavy kit that works on it. Mine came with a CCDB which is obviously going to get the best out of the frame but I’d be happy with a basic shock (still tinkering with the CCDB).

Not a lot not to like, apart from Orange bashers (see 300-post long thread about the 5).

Only negative is the price, there are more sophisticated frames out there for the money, but I got mine on sale. Yeti ’09 ASR7 frame can be had for £800 instead of £2K rrp from the importer and someone on here has had both and preferred the ASR to the alpine. I’d have got one if my alpine hadnt been such a good deal (£1050 with the CCDB!).

http://www.evolutionimports.co.uk/shop/products/clearance/yeti-seven-2009-841002.html

(their small is similar to a santa cruz medium)

TractorFrog
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2010 Alpine and its amazing, Built up with X9, Van RC (with Ti Spring) and Van RC2 it comes in at just over 32lb with pedals. Taken it to France and rode it like i stole it and its still going strong. Not heard of any frame fails and i dont think there is a down side to this frame.

It can be a bit loud, but some Rubber Mastic Tape – Scotch® 2228, 50mm x 3.03m in the right place makes it nice and quiet.

I also have a remedy 9 and i can dish out alot more abuse to the Alpine than the Remedy and still feel like i can give it more.

messiah
    Free Member

There are a couple of Alpine’s in the group I ride with. So far there has been one rear end failure and one front end failure… the rear end happened in less than a year and was replaced under warranty with an improved version (Orange had seen this type of failure before on a team bike). The front end failure is recent and the frame is 18 months old, the early Alpines like this had a one year warranty!!! Orange are looking into it but first comment is that it won’t be a warranty, but he can buy a new front end at a reduced price. New Oranges Alpine’s are 2 year warranty I believe.

The rider loves his alpine… but is feeling a little unhappy about the current situation and is not sure he will be sticking with the brand 👿

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Orange Alpine 160 Advice.’ is closed to new replies.