Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • orange alpine 160 26" conversion to 650b
  • stephenmacdonald43
    Free Member

Hi guys,
    I’m looking at buying a new 650b swing arm (and the other bits forks and wheels) for my 26″ alpine just wondering if anyone else has done the same or had the same idea?
    Can it be done ??

stevede
    Free Member

Not exactly what you had in mind but here’s one from a while back http://www.moredirt.com/article/Exclusive—Joe-Taylors-650b-Orange-Alpine-160/4466/

rickon
    Free Member

It’ll be the most expensive pointless thing you’ll ever do.

New wheels, new tyres, New fork (or low profile tyres, so why go bigger wheels?) reduce the stroke on the shock.

All for no noticeable difference.

I’d recommend a new Alpine 160 frame, with 26er wheels, the geometry changes will be far more noticeable that very slightly larger wheels.

That, or flog the Alpine and buy an AlpineFive if you’re looking for the benefits of bigger wheels. Of all the bikes Orange makes that’s the one that makes total sense when you hop on one.

stevede
    Free Member

Agree with Rickon that it’ll be a massive outlay for next to no difference. I love my alpine the way it is despite its retro wheel size.

deviant
    Free Member

OK, I’ll be the voice of dissent in wheel size.
    I had a 26 inch 456-evo and went to a 27.5 inch 45650b, pretty similar bikes from the same firm and designer.
    I hated the 650b, it was too long, too dull/muted on the trail, was harder to get airborne in my opinion too…it lasted 3 rides before i took it apart to build a 650b full susser for racing next year…for general fun in the woods and local trails I’ve gone back to a 26 inch hardtail, the feel is completely different despite what the naysayers think, the rapid, snappy handling is back, the bikes pops its front wheel far easier again…ok it stalls occasionally on rutted rooty terrain that the bigger wheeled HT rolled over but i can handle that in order to get the fun back.

In my opinion, 27.5 for racing but I’ll be keeping a 26 inch bike for fun too.

chakaping
    Free Member

Easier and probably cheaper to sell your frame and buy a new 650b one if you really need those bigger wheels, surely?

james_turk
    Free Member

No need to buy a new swingarm. The guys at Mojo were mucking about with 650b wheels in a 26 Alpine before the 650 alpine was released. I think they just changed the part of the shock to reduce it’s i2i. The bigger wheels fitted and the bb / headangle stayed the same. Travel was down to about 150 though I seem to remember from talking to one of them. Give them a shout, they’ll talk you through it far better than I can.

stevede
    Free Member

That’s the one I linked to up there, joe taylors alpine, he works for mojo.

rickon
    Free Member

The bigger wheels fitted and the bb / headangle stayed the same

Well, the HA would stay he same, but the BB height would increase – unless you reduced the tyre profile – and then, you’ve made a bike with big rims, and tiny 26er tyres.

Toasty

Well, the HA would stay he same, but the BB height would increase – unless you reduced the tyre profile

As above, the shock was changed to one with a shorter eye-to-eye, which effectively lowers it in it’s travel.

stephenmacdonald43
    Free Member

cheers for the info guys

rickon
    Free Member

As above, the shock was changed to one with a shorter eye-to-eye, which effectively lowers it in it’s travel.

So it sits further into its travel, doesn’t that ruin spring curve or leverage ratio and mess up how the suspension generally feels, unless you have someone tune your shock to how the new frame behaves?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘orange alpine 160 26" conversion to 650b’ is closed to new replies.