Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Orange Alpine 160 (2014) owners – what forks you running?
  • wl
    Free Member

As title really – you running 34s, 36s, 55s (160 or 170mm) etc, and how’s the bike handling in terms of head angle/bb height? Ta v much.

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Float 34’s Wil, but not by choice, if I had a choice it would be the new pikes or even lyrics, maybe even some marzochi forks. feels like it deffo needs something bigger upfront , still feels a very good stable bike though but would suit bigger forks better, and I don’t like fox forks one bit tbh.

johnellison
    Free Member

I know it’s not this years model, but my 2010 bike is still fitted with it’s OEM Fox 36 Floats. No issues to report.

wl
    Free Member

john – cheers but needs to be 2014 as the geometry changed.
    shag – cheers again. Hoping this frame would suit my 160mm 55s perfectly, even tho they’re probably an inch or so longer axle-to-crown than the 34s. I love that bike’s low BB – don’t want to lose it with over-long forks. Like you, trying to avoid Fox.

ichi
    Free Member

I bought the RS and am running it with the stock Fox 34s. I do like my Fox gear, seems to be a bit trendy nowadays to hate on Fox. I wouldn’t change up to fox 36 as the bike is heavy enough IMO. The geo is spot on and bike is very stable on the downs but can still be shifted around with ease. It pedals very well too, as good as a five and better than my last bike (canyon Nerve AM).

Even though I like my Fox , in a perfect world, I’d probably go for some Pikes, I tested a 5 RS 650b and absolutely loved the Pikes on that.

wl
    Free Member

ichi – cheers. How was the Five RS compared to the Alpine, just out of interest? I have a Five for xc, so I’m happy to have an Alpine that’s heavier and burlier, so I don’t mind if the weight goes up a bit with 36/55/Lyrik forks. Only dodging Fox coz for me they’ve never proved as reliable, plus the current alternatives perform brilliantly.

ichi
    Free Member

The 5 was a nice bike, but I wanted something a bit bigger and I didn’t notice any difference with the bigger wheels so stuck with 26″. As I said though, the Pikes were gorgeous.

I decided to keep the 34s cos the Alpine will be my everyday, do it all bike, so wanted to keep it light as possible. My other bike is an Operator DH so the Alpine will be on everything from XC to light DH duty.

wl
    Free Member

Cheers again. I reckon 160mm 55s will work out ok then, as an Alpine would be my ‘big’ bike. Happy with my Five as it is for everyday stuff. Interesting to read that you couldn’t tell a difference with the 650s. I’m more than happy to believe this – 26s fine with me on both bikes.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Why did they change the geo? The previous model’s geo was spot on.

wl
    Free Member

Best double-check, but if I remember rightly then this year’s model has a better seat angle to make climbing easier and more comfortable, plus it’s a bit slacker and lower, although you can alter this using the slider. Shock position is improved I think too, and the frame’s defo lighter now. I rode one with 34s and it was mint, but I plan to stick 160 55s on if/when I get one.

seanodav
    Free Member

im runn9ing 55 rc3 tis on mine, feels spot on

seanodav
    Free Member

here it is with them on…

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Wil, I reckon them marzocchis will be spot on, good forks them are, gonna look for a second hand pair and sell the fox forks.
    Seanodav- very nice build! Liking the colours too, I was gonna go with the red bits with my apple green frame, looking at yours I wish I did. 😐

. I do like my Fox gear, seems to be a bit trendy nowadays to hate on Fox

No, it’s nothing to do with fashion, they’re just basically shit to put it bluntly, performance and especially reliability.

wl
    Free Member

Seanodav – nice build – v similar to what I would do. You’ve got the same 2010 55s by the look of it. What’s the bike’s overall weight roughly?

Shag – aye, you’re right, just need to shift some old gear to cobble together the cash. Starting with my Patriot frame, I reckon. I can swap over most of the parts, so it’s only really a frame I need. Hopefully I’ll get it done then put some decent scratches on it riding with you chaps 😉

seanodav
    Free Member

Thanks shagg, was going to go with blue as i had stuff from last bike, then decided red but think gold would have looked ok when i seen the ccdb on it…

@wl yes they are 2010 55s. ive no idea what its weight is but will weigh it on the scales ive got when i get a chance for you. As they are only digital bathroom scales ive no idea if it will be correct however

seanodav
    Free Member

Shagg…. there was a pair of 2010 55s with new uppers on pink bike recently…

edit: here you go, maybe bit much but hey
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1428286/

wl
    Free Member

Fair enough and cheers, seanodav. I’m guessing 34lbs for your build. Looks like a mint bike though – built for dh fun but I know those frames pedal very well too.

seanodav
    Free Member

im using it for everything i do, came from a pitch with that kit on so used to it 😉

seanodav
    Free Member

pretty close wl, weighs 33.6

wl
    Free Member

Cheers for the info, seanodav. Not a bad weight considering 2 coils and proper rims and tyres. I’ll get saving…

ichi
    Free Member

I never posted mine 🙁 , never miss an opportunity to post a pic 🙂

ricsar1
    Free Member

I.m running stock 34’s on my alpine, nice fork gets better after every ride, have considered putting my 36’s of mondraker on alpine but do think the 34’s are more controlled, pikes are excellent forks and are super plush would be a great fork for an alpine,

nicksee
    Free Member

First ride on my new alpine today with Pikes fitted. Very plush and controlled through out their range of travel, uplift day in the morning to fine tune!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Orange Alpine 160 (2014) owners – what forks you running?’ is closed to new replies.