• This topic has 40 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jonk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Orange Alpine 160
  • SBrock
    Free Member

Is it wrong to want one?

I haven’t even ridden one but they look so damn good, Slack,Low BB, Swingarm Maxle, Single Pivot Simplicity and nice and burly!

Trouble is I have just recently bought a Santa Cruz Butcher with 36’s…..doh!

nath
    Free Member

Nope, it’s totally normal. I love mine. Only been on a few rides but it flies downhill and it’s me that stops as it get scary fast! Yep it’s not going to win awards for fast climbing, but does the job.

Highly recommended.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Hmmmm. I didn’t like mine.

BB was way too low. I found the angles uninspiring for steep stuff and it climbed awkwardly.

I brought it to replace a 2002 Patriot. I sold the Alpine after a short while dnd kept the Patriot.

I know it’s horses for courses – but I’ve ridden a few Alpines and never got on with any of them.

I think it’s feel. I couldn’t get out of my head that I was on my 5 heading down hill…..

oxnop
    Free Member

I LOVE mine.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Love mine too! It is the bike I have been trying to find for years. Now running a coil shock.

saxabar
    Free Member

How are you folk getting on with the coil? (fnar) Did you changeover from an RP23? something I’ve been considering but I’m wondering to the extent it will affect climbing.

SBrock
    Free Member

CAN YOU NOT POST PICS, it will make me want one even more….Electric Blue or Apple Green I like!

trailmonkey

wished i lived amongst geography that meant i might need one.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

ive got the new alpine 2011, its great, got the coil shock as well. it might be slightly heavier than your average full suss but it still does the job, climbs great and descends even better its a good all rounder, i use it for xc stuff and it handles it great defo get one imo! mines got the the upgraded bars and stem and pedals which were the sun-line gear at the time now i think its renthal and the coil has gone even cheaper as well, i paid 400 at the time now i think its about 250, i recommend you demo one from your lbs which is what i did and then i bought one. go for it m8 😀

SBrock
    Free Member

Just the price is soo expensive for what is essentially a single pivot – a Nomad costs the same but with VPP, I have always been a Santa Cruz fan, so I would have to test it against my Butcher, but the Rear Maxle, Sinlge Pivot simplicity is winning it for me.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

price dunt matter when its claim cash ;p

jam-bo

wished i lived amongst geography that meant i might need one.

maybe when the hound tor chairlift is completed…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

my mandarin orange, er, Orange, with CCDB and dusty trails. A vast improvement on the Mk1 Nomad it replaced (lower link compressed with every pedal stroke in the granny).

Overpriced? My frame was £1000 brand new with the CCDB 8) 8)

SBrock
    Free Member

RRP £1700

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I know. Hence the 8) . 🙂

owenfs7
    Free Member

Hopefully demo’ing one this week. Those with the CCDB, how much fettling did it take to get it feel right? not sure if I should demo with it on or not in case I spend the whole time changing the settings.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Someone on here has the new purple colour and a very nice build – its looks stunning.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

owen, still tinkering. Set on CC’s test-rider recommended settings and have upped the compression damping a bit but still got tweaks planned. Some people dislike the lack of “pop” it gives, which seems to be a CCDB trait and I assume down to having more rebound than most shocks on near standard settings.

A lot to potentially get wrong, but no different to most high end forks which have similar levels of adjustability.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

if anyone wants settings for the CCDB i have the settings on notepad what cane creek told me was a good starting range, ive set mine up to what they told me and ive not messed with it since its been great, anyone who wants the settings emailed to them just email me at chris_mbuk@hotmail.com and ill get them to ya when i can cheers!

SBrock
    Free Member

Someone on here has the new purple colour and a very nice build – its looks stunning.

I can imagine!

kayak23

I must have eagle-vision, nice bike but I’d recommend some bar-ends.
    🙂

oxnop
    Free Member

I must have eagle-vision, nice bike but I’d recommend some bar-ends.

Within 5 mins of the bike being home it had end caps on. I’d just got down some super tech double slippy gnar and managed to ping the cap off on a particularly tight section. I was just happy to get down with my life 8)

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Before the custom decals added (Can be found in same Pinkbike album)

Truly amazing bike that suits me perfectly.

GRAEMEJONES

Oh, go on then 😉 It doesn’t really get used that much over here, so I’m toying with the idea of swapping to a coil shock with next years Holidays in mind 😛

thebiglad
    Free Member

No they are well sort after bikes here in Morzine,here is mine in it’s element on a little used trail between Avoriaz and Morzine.
    Morzinette July 2011 (29)

Northwind

Rode one with an RP in it a while back and wasn’t that impressed… All felt a bit crude, especially coming straight off my own bike. Then had a shot on one with a CCDB and 55s in it and what a machine! Not as nice for climbing obviously but it brought it to life on the descents. Wouldn’t buy one tbh, too expensive to get one with the good shock in it, but I wouldn’t say no to a free one.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

would that someone on here be me ;p ive got the sinbad purple, its this years standard color reason why its free to have it in purple 😀

guitarhero
    Free Member

Replaced my long serving, beloved Blur 4X earlier this year. This is faster uphill and down.
    Loves it

carbon337
    Free Member

Thats lighter then my Five – @ 33.33lb

stingmered

Got an Alpine 160, as pic below but now with saint brakes F&R and CCDB shock. Honestly, the CCDB is worth every penny. Turned a superb bike into something phenomenal. The back end has so much control it’s unreal. Even seems to make the single pivot cope on braking bumps under full braking load. Elsewhere it is a dream, just feels bottomless but holds up well for pedaling and weight shift.

TBH, if THE CCDB is a step too far, it still works well with the RP23, just feels in a different league with the coil shock.

Mine is built up to 32lbs in it’s current guise. Changing to DH tyres it copes admirably on DH uplifts, thrashes most full on DH rigs! Also take it on 6 hr Peak jaunts, done the Dyfi enduro, trail-quest – you name it – bike is ‘fookin ace!

SBrock
    Free Member

lovely bikes

SBrock
    Free Member

Mine is built up to 32lbs in it’s current guise. Changing to DH tyres it copes admirably on DH uplifts, thrashes most full on DH rigs! Also take it on 6 hr Peak jaunts, done the Dyfi enduro, trail-quest – you name it – bike is ‘fookin ace!

is that with the CCDB??

what is the weight of an 18″ frame?

guitarhero
    Free Member

what is the weight of an 18″ frame?

Mine weighed in at a smidge over 8lbs with an RP23 IIRC

magiclinemtb
    Free Member

I’ve got a 160 – like it. Figure it seems a bit heavy, but i could do with loosing a few pounds so…

CCDB… havent got my head around this yet, but i like it so far – can see how tech heads could spend more time “adjusting” over riding

Magicline – I used to have a DHX5 air on my alpine, but got a CCDB 6 months ago and havent looked back. Got the stock settings for the Alpine off Chrismbuk (cheers chris).

It was heavy compared to the air shock, but I got a ti spring recently and it has saved a fair bit of weight.

magiclinemtb
    Free Member

For anyone else whos after the CCDB manuals (stock setting page 6) Here

jonk

This is mine recently painted coil’s front and rear m4’s saint gears raceface DH crank minions and high rollers weighs in at 33lb i take it everywhere even on the canal somtimes!

Alpine

mikejk78
    Free Member

I just picked up a butcher, wicked ride, still with your santa cruz for a bit then switch it up.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I couldn’t get on with mine; it was like a 5 but with all the verve bashed out of it. I loved the 5, and only recently got something else.

A guy I ride with thought I was mad, bought an Alpine, and he’s since got rid too.

They tend to polarise opinions; like most Oranges

bigthunder
    Free Member

Im with drrswank on this one. Tried it loved it but its not 3ks worth of improvement over my Patriot 7+. I love Orange bikes. Quality frames. The 5 am is worth looking into as well if ya like the Alpine 160.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Orange Alpine 160’ is closed to new replies.