Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Orange 5 with Reverb what rear mudguard?
  • Matt24k
    Free Member

I have a problem in that that crud catcher rear mudguard hits the tyre on full suspension compression. The Reverb seat post only allows me to mount the mudguard clamp on the post, right on top of the seat clamp. I think I need a mudguard that has three points of adjustment rather than 2 on the crud catcher. Any suggestions gratefully received.

cookeaa

length of inner tube/lizard skin sleeve and chop up a plastic milk bottle and use zip ties to make a “fender” and fix it to the back of the seat rails to keep shite off of the top area…

RealMan
    Free Member

MTFU.

Or maybe topeak defender.

Matt24k
    Free Member

It’s not me that I’m worried about so I’ll disregard MTFU suggestion! I am more concerned about keeping muck out of the workings of the seatpost

WackoAK
    Free Member

+1 for the topeak defender

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Look at Cycraguard – harder to break than any others i’ve had though don’t offer as much protection as the Topeak.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

The post will probably fail long before it needs a clean out. Mine did anyway!

monogramman
    Free Member

Do lizard skins not make a neoprene cover for a droper seatpost?

Lizardskins suspension boot?

On trials bikes you can get a neoprene guard for the front fork stanctions, would one of those not work?

I use a standard post so can’t really advise, just giving an idea.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I use one of these on my HiLo.

molgrips
    Free Member

I wonder if you could fix a guard do the swingarm like some motorbikes do… hmm…

steve_b77
    Free Member

Why don’t you just cut up an inner tube and slip it over the post, cable tie it in position and then you don’t have to ride around with a rear wing on yer bike?

Matt24k
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I have come up with a short term solution by cutting the Crud Catcher mounting bracket in half. I then made an upwards extension plate which I screwed into the remnants of the bracket that attaches to the post. This gives some protection to the post and allows the mudguard to screw attach via the other half the bracket but 4 inches higher.
    A motorcycle type hugger on the swinging arm would be a much more elegant solution and there are two plastic blanking plugs on the inside of the 5 swinging arm. I wonder if these could be used to mount a plastic hugger under tension. Dragons Den here I come 😉

RustyMac

What about something similar to the front mud gards people make from old innertubes to stop the mud from the front wheel flying forwards then you cycling into it.

Secure innertube to seat rails with 2 small cable ties then to the seat tube just below the top tube with one larger cable tie (this could possibly be combined with the cable tie most people seem to put there for routing the remote hose).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just ordered one off CRC, it’ll be getting a length of old innertube as a ‘sock’.

Speeder

Why are you bothering? It’s not as if anyone even puts these things on their forks any more – the sealing’s actually quite good these days.
    I certainly wouldn’t, you’ll just do more damage as it’ll hold the muck against the post as it goes up and down and it’ll act like grinding paste. Better off just giving it a good clean after every ride.

Besides that you’ll just look a clueless fool running a mud guard in summer.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

A motorcycle type hugger on the swinging arm would be a much more elegant solution and there are two plastic blanking plugs on the inside of the 5 swinging arm. I wonder if these could be used to mount a plastic hugger under tension

If you have brake posts then Decathlon sell a rear mudguard that attaches to them. Looks like it would work really well. I might get posts welded on my next Nicolai just for this purpose…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Speeder I assume you don’t have an adjustable seat post as you’re wrong on all counts. The seals are no where near as good as fork seals. A boot does protect a post and does not trash it by keeping a grinding paste on it. My joplin seized on its first wet ride and had filled with dirty water. Cleaned it lubed it and fitted a shock boot. It has been faultless since, and despite removing it to inspect the post it hasn’t needed any attention or cleaning. Id say they are essential for dropper posts-gravity droppers come with boots but that’s part of their agricultural charm.

Jeffus
    Free Member

KSi900 I’ve ridden this for nearly 2 years 2-4 times a week in all weathers just washed it off, I do smear a film of chain lube on to it every ride and my forks, I’ve had no problems with mud or water.

DickBarton

The manual for the Reverb says no shock boot-type neoprene covers to be used as they trap muck and moisture that then sit and start to destroy the post.

To be honest, I’d not bother with the mudguard at all…although the workings of the post are then exposed (in the sense that the post movement isn’t protected) the wiper seal on top of the system will remove the vast majority of the crap and should last plenty long enough.

Should last plenty long enough is of course subject to personal interpretation.

Jeffus
    Free Member

I came off my 5 the other day and have scratched the black coating on my Reverb, you can feel they are sharp scratches I now loose some height on the post and have to keep pressing the button to get it back up, damn shame, Im hoping I can get it fixed, I’ll have to send it off to see if they can replace the shaft, I hope its not too expensive.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

The manual for the Reverb says no shock boot-type neoprene covers to be used as they trap muck and moisture that then sit and start to destroy the post.

Just one of the shades of grey between black and white would be to remove the boot after a dirty ride, clean it, and make sure nothing is left on the stanchion. Just a thought, though…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

D-B, I’d hope rockshox seals were better than crank brothers with all their fork experience.

2Pure recommend not using one for the same reason. When they make adequate rather than totally cr@p sealing I might take their advice, but from my experience the alternative is a seized post and strip down every wet ride (i literally poured dirty water out of my post on stripping it down after one loop of The Wall 🙄

3-Fish’s reply is the sensible approach and what I do (though as I said nothing has got thru the boot yet) and I assume 2Pure and RS are concerned that a boot would encourage neglect.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 with Reverb what rear mudguard?’ is closed to new replies.