Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Orange 5 swingarm cable/hose routing – Nigh on impossible?
  • LenHankie

Building up a new frame and a bit flummoxed trying to get the rear gear cable through the swingarm…likewise the rear brake hose, how do I do this with out spraying my lovely new frame with DOT 5? Any tips greatly appreciated.

gusamc
    Free Member

Can you straighten a wire coat hanger through it and tape cable ???

sharki
    Free Member

drop some cotton in one end and place a vacuum hose over the other hole, suck the cotton through the other hole and use that to guide your outer and hose through….

LenHankie

I’m thinking I’ll try just the inner on a coathanger, then once it’s through, slide the outer over it back the other way, ie from the rear of the swingarm.

Still not sure about the hose though, I presume I just drain the whole thing then refill and bleed again?

jam-bo

What about getting stones out sharki….

LenHankie

Sharki – Vacuum hose? Have you tried this?

sharki
    Free Member

I’ve not tried it but logic say’s it’ll work….might work easier if you glue somethin on the end to give it something better to suck on…
    I alway’s had the old outer in place to use as a guide.

spinout
    Free Member

My ‘5’ came with the gear cable already in place but, so far, I cant be arsed to drain and thread the rear brake hose. At the mo it’s just zip tied to the swingarm.

Sandwich

When I did my sub 5 I popped the grommets out of the swing-arm and just threaded the hose/outer through the enlarged openings. Not forgetting the to thread it through the grommet before the swing-arm.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I’ve done my rear brake hose recently. Complete pain in the @r5e. Tried several methods, one of which was the one Sandwich mentioned although I was unable to fit the grommit back in. Thats only part of it though, getting it out of the swingarm is also difficult.
    I used a small piece of spoke. If you remove hose at caliper end there should be very little loss of fluid. Screw in spoke, lube it and guide it through grommit and through plate in swingarm. Once through I used a pair of needle nose pliers to grasp the piece of spoke. You then have to carefully slightly bend the spoke, as you slowly feed the hose through the swingarm some more.
    Len, spot on with the gear cable, feed through inner, fish it off with hooked end of spoke (spokes are great for this), feed outer back on.

LenHankie

Right then, I’ll be commencing battle tomorrow night and will report back. In the meantime, thanks and keep any others coming!

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

We had to do it in a car park after a ride recently. Took 5mins.

We cut the old inner further up and threaded the new outer onto it. Then we just pushed the new outer along which in turn pushed the old outer out. Maybe we got lucky but it literally just slid through.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Good luck, we don’t usually have too much of a fight with gear cables, I push in from the front as far as poss then use a torch and very fine spoke (pointy thing to pick up the end and encourage it through the hole. For some reason brake hose we find easier the other way in the back first – but if it is a good well bled brake I just zip tie to the top of the arm – same on 222/224, 66 and the 5 – helps if you get a good track of vibes on, a mug of tea/ale and some strong’zen’intention good luck R

mrfrosty
    Free Member

For the brake hose tape a old spoke to it an thread it through from the grommet end and pull through hole with a hook ended pick. Then connect hose and bleed brake. With the gear inner thread that through grommet end first,bend end slightly then use hook pick to drag through hole. Now cut some outter cable slightly shorter than the inner cable, thread onto inner cable from the rearmech end cut outter to correct length ( careful no to cut inner cable down. Greese cable fit outter ends sat up gears, job done. No more worrys as you can use the now fitted cable as a guide when replacement is needs. tidy

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 swingarm cable/hose routing – Nigh on impossible?’ is closed to new replies.