Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Orange 5 sizing and new bike choosing!!!
  • nutsnvolks
    Free Member

Hi all, I have already made a post regarding SANTA cruz bronsons, as I was looking at replacing my stumpjumper with one, however after many hours trawling the net I am now looking at an orange 5 and have found a cracking deal for the 5 s with all upgrades for a very good price indeed.

However, I have seen and heard of 18″ gives in the past but according to the website L is a 19″??? Have they stopped the 18″ because of going to 650b or am I just confused, my current bike is a 19 and I thought with the bigger wheels 18 might have suited me better. Finding it so hard to make a decision, il probably end up looking at several other bikes before I decide for sure, but the finger has been hanging over the buy button for this 5

dandasbike
    Free Member

It is 19 inch on the 650b, cracking bikes btw get it bought!

cokie

So the new sizing on the new Orange 5 is as follows;
    18” has turned into 17”- same TT length but shorter ST
    20” has turned into 19”- same TT lenght but shorter ST
    The 21” is a new super gate size and 16” has stayed the same.
    It’s just part of bringing the geometry ‘up-to-date.
    If you are used to riding 18” then go 17”.

chestrockwell

They did a 17″ when they did the 18″. 😉

If you have a 19″ now go for that. What spec does the 5 have? Make sure it’s got Pikes as the RS I tested blew the Fox 32 equipped Pro out of the water.

cokie

They did, but they phased out the 18” in favor of the 17” 😉
    The Five with a CCDB air and Pike is unbeatable. Especially for UK conditions.

dandasbike
    Free Member

I can vouch for the 5rs with pikes and ccdba cs its a great set up and more than enough bike for 90% of uk riding.

legend
    Free Member

It’s just part of bringing the geometry ‘up-to-date.

Well that and having 7 different sizes of frame was getting a bit ott

robhughes
    Free Member

Pikes and a Loco tuned Van RC with Ti spring.
    Job done for me. 🙂

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

Can’t stretch to the RS, however I have found a cracking deal on the five S with pike upgrade, fox factory kashima ctd shock, custom colour, 1×11 hope t-Rex setup, alloy free ride pack, hope wheel upgrade and a few other upgrades all for approx 3200 plus a 200 squid voucher so I can essentially get a free reverb in the deal.

Seems a steal to me, pricing it up the same on ubyk website comes in 5-600 more!!

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

I’m a 32 inch leg, 18 inch five. I run a short 35m stem and a 19 inch would have fitted better with the short stem, out of saddle climbing I almost hit my knees on the bar and very tight switchbacks, same problem. The five fits me best with a 90mm stem but doesn’t feel right downhill.
    I almost bought a 17 when I was picking the frame, but luckily Sat on one in the shop and it felt like a kids bike. Sit on one, it’s the only way.

chestrockwell

That sounds like a great deal to me. My bike started out as an S and tbh most of the kit is as good as the Pro. From what you’ve listed the main spec weak points have been covered so it’s a no brainer in my opinion.

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

Well it’s ordered! had a sit on a L and feel happy with it, just hope it doesn’t take to long!

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

Anyone know if the frames are built/painted to order or from stock? I have ordered the candy apple green and just wondering if I’ve given myself a long wait?

wiggles
    Free Member

They have a load of frames ready and paint them in batches so timescale varies. They might be doing the green ones today or in 2 weeks time.

chestrockwell

As above although they may have some in stock. Give them a ring, I’m sure they’ll be able to tell you.

br
    Free Member

Well it’s ordered! had a sit on a L and feel happy with it, just hope it doesn’t take to long!

tbh Doesn’t matter how good the deal is if it’s not the right size.

Orange Dealers can get demo bikes from Orange – I demo’d a large 5 and glad I did, as I’d need an XL.

br
    Free Member

1×11 hope t-Rex setup

1×10?

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

Yes, 1×10 was what I ment, at first glance I thought it was 1×11 until I read into it a bit!

Turns out it’s built ready so should have it soon, only in fizzy orange not apple green! (It was the colour I ordered but changed after, albeit to late) but that’s fine with me

allymcmurdo
    Free Member

Did you order the new model? I think it it looks a bit more up to date now. £100 dearer for a frame now though. £1700 by the time you’ve chosen a colour. £2600 for the cheapest full build. I’ve always been an Orange fan but there much better options out there value wise.

chestrockwell

Had not noticed the 5 had gone back to a straight top tube. The 2015 I tested didn’t so it must be a recent change. 😕

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

Hmmm, that’s odd, I was under the impression it had a kink in the top tube! The one I tried did, and the picture of what I ordered from singletrackbikes shows a kinked top tube, yet on Orange website shows straight!!? Perhaps it is to do with frame size?

In answer to your question, yes, as far as I’m aware it’s the most recent model, color choice was free, and a lot of the other upgrades were free or discounted, I went for the S model and chose the factory ctd kashima shock and 150 pikes, also specced every other available upgrade with the exception of the brakes (as I have a set of v4’s waiting to go on), total price was about 900 cheaper than Orange website comes I for same spec, so I’m pretty happy with it, just got to patiently wait for delivery now

wiggles
    Free Member

They just annouced the new frame today available from feb, so if you are getting yours before then it will be the older one. Different geometry as well on the new frame.

Robz
    Free Member

I think the the Alpine Five has a bent top tube and the regular Five has a straight top tube.?

satchm00
    Free Member

edited (canny delete don’t have the powa!)

satchm00
    Free Member

Oh and yeah I see what others mean about the straight top tube,

chestrockwell

Hmmm, that’s odd, I was under the impression it had a kink in the top tube! The one I tried did, and the picture of what I ordered from singletrackbikes shows a kinked top tube, yet on Orange website shows straight!!? Perhaps it is to do with frame size?

In answer to your question, yes, as far as I’m aware it’s the most recent model, color choice was free, and a lot of the other upgrades were free or discounted, I went for the S model and chose the factory ctd kashima shock and 150 pikes, also specced every other available upgrade with the exception of the brakes (as I have a set of v4’s waiting to go on), total price was about 900 cheaper than Orange website comes I for same spec, so I’m pretty happy with it, just got to patiently wait for delivery now

Sounds like the reason you are getting a good deal is that you’re getting one of the 2015 mk1 frames. No doubt they have some stock they want to shift.

As for the geometry, I’m confused. The 2015 mk1 was longer and slacker then the 2014. The 2015 mk2 doesn’t seem to be any different to the mk1. 😕

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

Well, it finally arrived yesterday, have to say I’m well chuffed, spent a few hours in the shed last night removing the brakes and fitting a set of hope v4’s with vented discs, and a shiney new set of pedals. Just need to get out and ride it now 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

Oh, wallpapered shed, v posh!

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

LOL- was prior to shed fettaling 😉

chestrockwell

Very nice. 8)

wl
    Free Member

The very latest Five is likely to be a very mint bike – everything looks right, and it builds on the Five’s already impressive heritage. £2,600 seems a fair price to me considering what other manufacturers offer. Even better value when you consider how little you need to spend on them in the long term. Cheap as chips to run. Perfect UK trail bike, alps-ready too.

roverpig

Very nice, but far too clean. Get out there and get it mucky man.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the latest version. The Five has always been about evolution rather than revolution. The new one has a slightly different look (although still unmistakably a Five), but any differences in ride are likely to be too subtle for us normal mortals to detect.

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

Well, GUTTED and pissed off!!

Decided to go for a spin round llandegla, as its local and I know the trails well, got there and started off up the first climb In the foot or so of snow!!! Got to the top to find the NON-drive side pedal coming off, had a look and threads in crank arm are shot!!!! Really pissed off, I’m sure it must of been my fault as I fitted the pedals, however I’m really carefull with things like that and was certain it wasn’t cross threaded, the pedal screwed in fine, but as it a part I fitted (despite it being a new set of f20’s that came with the bike) I guess this is going to cost me 🙁 very pissed off at the moment

chestrockwell

bugger.

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

Cant get hold of Orange or the shop til Monday, so in the meantime, I have in the shed an SLX double and bash setup, could I just remove the double and bash and fit the narrow wide single off the race face? Will it work ok? Is the hollow tech 2 axle the same as the race face ride?

Thanks
    Jon

chestrockwell

Should be fine. Have you got an ISIS crank extractor? I had to buy one to remove my 2014 Raceface crank.

Candodavid
    Free Member

oh sugar lumps

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

great thanks, i will give it a go (even if it does mean stripping more bits off the old bike!!!!

chestrockwell- yes thanks mate, have all the tools, just need to get five min to go out to the shed again, oh the wife will be happy 😉

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 sizing and new bike choosing!!!’ is closed to new replies.