Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Orange 5 pro advice.
  • 1981miked
    Free Member

Morning all, i put a deposit on an Orange 5 pro yesterday, it hasn't been orderded yet as i have 2 decide on a few things yet. Hoping you guys and dolls can help me out and point me in the right direction. I am definately having it in Chrome grey, was swithering over what forks 2 put on it but for my riding etc i reckon the 32's will suffice. It will be at trail centres mainly, some bigger mountains nxt year and the odd trip up 2 Fort William for the red and a run down the dh course. Do u agree with the fork choice? The 36's look better but £320 is alot of cash 2 look better! Also, i am a dizzy enducing 5ft 5/6 and test rode an 18 as that's all they had and it felt fine, wasn't overstreched and could straddle the frame with maybe 3 inches to spare. I know i fit into the 16" category but just concerned it may be 2 cramped as the top tube is 20mm shorter. I had a 16" Giant Vt and felt a bit cramped on that so swapped it for a Cove handjob in 17.5" and it feels perfect {how i love my steel hardtail).. Also, im having the hope kit upgrade, headset and bb, i have heavier duty rims with gunsmoke hubs to put on the orange as ill put the standard hoops on the cove. I want 2 add a bit of colour without making it 2 flash, dnt think the 5 needs it. I thought gunsmoke floating rotors 2 match the hubs then maybe silver hope kit? I have the cove pimped out with gunsmoke kit so fancy a change. Any ideas would be appreciated as always, any pics 2 would be smashing. Thanx, Mike. P.s i may be asking 4 silver thomson seatpost and stem if that helps ur creative juice 2 flow. ; )

RichPenny
    Free Member

I don't think the 16" is too short for me, and I'm about 3 inches taller than you. In fact, I had to put a shorter stem on it. Do you have really long arms? Also, how long a test ride did you do, back pain through being too stretched out might not show for a few hours.

1981miked
    Free Member

yeah fair point m8. I rode it 4 around 30 mins yesterday. That was my 3rd test ride tho. I used 2 ride an 18" Kona Nunu that gave me äk pain at times. Managed 2 get rid of it by adlusting bars and saddle etc. I have a 30" inside leg and wouldn't say my arms are long in comparison. Maybe better with the 16" then m8. U got a pic of urs 2 post? How u getting on with it? Had it lng?

coatesy
    Free Member

Not sure of paying extra for the Hope kit, headset yes, but the rest- front is 15mm so no skewer needed, rear is just asking for the famed rear end creak, better off with a Shimano imo, so you'd be forking out for a Hope Pack when the seat clamp is probably all that'll be used.
    Very nice bikes though, a lot of us ride them(and I sell loads too). Got a mate your height that rides an 18 and swears it's perfect, and the 16 is too small,however he's also moaning about back pain, faffing with shorter stems and saddle position.I'd definitely try a 16 before buying.

flamejob
    Free Member

Dude.. you need a 16"!

I'm 5'10-11" and feel cramped on an 18"!

Mrs Flamejob has a 16" and is 5'8"

1981miked
    Free Member

hmm interesting. Thanx so far guys. My lbs doesn't have a 16", anybody in Dundee got a 5 i can have a shot on? I did ride a prototype alpine 160 in 16" but that was high at the frnt as it had 36's on it. Did feel like the bars were on my lap tho. Is it worth fitting the rear maxle? Still want the floating rotors, bb, headset and seat skewer.

gusamc
    Free Member

I'd say you want a 16
    I'm 5 5 and am fine on a 16(old 04), apart from when I drop off back of seat I can sometimes 'catch' on the way back up as its ABSOLUTE full stretch for me.

I tried a blokes 18 and it felt too stretched for me (inside leg 28ish)

I actually want a 14" as (spaeking to Orange 5 5 is the cusp height between 14-16)

ps re 3" clearance – do you ride in platforms ??? – honest I get caressed by my tube and we seem to be the same height ??????????

Sounds like too much money to not get a test first.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Dude stop sweating over hope pack this and maxle that. The important factor is getting the sizing right. I'm 6ft and ride an 18". Its perfect for me and i made sure by having the bike for a long bank holiday weekend many many moons ago.
    I upgraded my '07 Five Pro with the Hope and Performance packs because they provided better components than the stock options and a lot cheaper than purchasing seperately.
    I opted for the upgraded Float 32s RLC over R due to alleged better damping as the Float Rs seemed to have a lot of brake dive during my demo. I think it only cost £100 extra at the time.
    It has a QR back end which feels perfectly stiff and fine for the riding I put the bike through. If the maxle is not much extra cost and weight then go for it. I'd probably opt for it.
    I've upgraded to QR15 lowers at the front and there is only a noticeable difference in certain situations over the standard QR. As the QR15 is now de rigeur this is not an issue.
    Just make sure you get the correct size!!! Go find a demo bike before spending your money as its a costly exercise if you get it wrong.

coatesy
    Free Member

Seeing as you've put a deposit down then you're obviously not just a test pilot,and your dealer should be able to arrange a demo 16 from the Orange fleet for you to try for a day or two.

Artillerydave
    Free Member

agree with the sizing concerns, myself 6'2" and ride an 18" and it is spot on with wide bars, inline post and 70mm stem. I would look at a good test ride on 16" to see how you go. Where are you local to? as places like Llangela have them in their demo fleet, (I wouldn't buy it from there though) as expensive and the fella that runs the bike shop is a misery.

qwerty
    Free Member

Cove HJ 17.5" has a 23" top tube, Orange 18" has a 22.9" so these numbers look good, the 18" Orange has 29.7" of standover though so at 5'5" i'd be thinking of testriding a 16".

I reckon if you spoke to Orange they'd point you in the direction of a 16"

try to try a 16" and 18" back to back

i'm 5'7" and ride a 15.5" Cove HJ with a 70mm stem and wouldn't want it any bigger

Wookster

I'm 6'2 and ride a 20"!!! As for up grades! I got the pro stuck 819 rims on it rlc32mm forks hope pro kit upped to m4's and the performance pack? carbon bar fizik saddle etc Just brilliant!!! So no complaints however the standard cassette is made of cheese (not even cheddar think warm bre!) and the race face BB are pants on my third on warrenty now!.

Amazing amazing bike just love it for all the trail centres etc the 32s are fine mate, I would set the bike for what you do ride year round not just 4-5 weekends a year if you get me? Finally I would test ride a 16 mate, my LBS an orange dealer could get any frame size in from orange the spec maybe different ie not a pro an S but it lets you get an idea of the frame you dont want any questions in your head. Afan bike shop has lots of demos too you could kill two birds with one stone test ride a 16 and try 32's at a trail centre!!! Wicked bike mate cant wait to see it!

Wookster

location Dundee!!!!…..AFAN may be out then….. 😳

repatriot
    Free Member

I am just under 5'.9" and had the pleasure of riding a Orange 16" Alpine for a week in the alps and it was spot on for me. I ride a small Soul at home and they both seem to be similar dimensions to me. Saving up for an alpine now.. I'd have to say an 18" would be ok to ride but not as chuckable or fun as 16" Your Money but i know what i would spend mine on.

1981miked
    Free Member

i have demo'd the 5 on several ocassion so i know what im putting my money in 2. I tried a few bikes and always ended up bck at the 5. As 4 the hope pack, im getting it because it does finish off the bike better but mainly because of the durability benefits, the headset is far better than the fsa that comes as standard and they're bb's out perform any others i have used. Ill admit 2 wanting the floating rotors 4 the bling tho! Ha ha. But i have always bought 2nd hand bikes as couldn't afford a new one but im in a position to treat myself 2 a nice shiny new Orange. I only started adding the shiny bits once i got the important bit out the way. I.e choosing the bike and spec etc, i think it has 2 be the 16 then after what u guys are saying, ill phone the bike shop today and see if he can get his hands on a 16. Thanx again guys, any thoughts on the colour 4 the hope stuff then? Or dare i ask! Seriously tho, ur input is much appreciated and taken on board.

Wookster

honestly mate you'll get a ribbing on your colour what ever you go for!!! most important thing is yolu think oooooooohhhhh yesssss when you open the garage door and take a look at it pre ride!!!!!!!!!!

1981miked
    Free Member

yeah it is the chuckability (great word) factor that is making me question the size i need. The 18 is fine 2 ride and i can shift my weight round no problem but if the smelly stuff hit the fan the smaller frame may be easier 2 haul me out of harms way. Ill be sure 2 post a pic as soon as it arrives, thanx 4 confirming the fork choice, and yeah i see what u mean by the set up. Get it perfect for 99.9% of my riding requirements etc.

1981miked
    Free Member

true wookster. Garage door! No way my babies are kept in the cold. The missus loves the 2 bikes already in the spare room..may as well make it 3. But i see ur point, ok i think gunsmoke rotors and the rest silver as it will look smarty not tarty! Plus the brakes are silver 2. I cnt wait 2 get it now, my 1st new bike at 28..god it's been a lng time coming 16 years of being a proper biker 2 be exact.

Del

is it possible you've just got used to feeling stretched on the bikes you've had previously, and are tempted to stick with what you're familiar with? like the rest of 'em i think you'll be better off with the 16. i'm 5-10andabit and ride an 18. could probably ride a 16 if i felt inclined, but the tt feels short on the 5s anyway, when compared to my HT ( which is also an 18 ). it really feels right when i'm riding it. if you can spec the fork with a lockout i would do so. although on a bouncer, on paper, it would seem superfluous, when you're tired and there's a steep bit of fire road or smooth track, sometimes it's nice to be able to flick on the propedal, lockout the fork, and stand up for a change of muscle use. whatever – you'll have a ball on it. such a lovely bike to ride.
    oh – if it were me – bright orange. 🙂

1981miked
    Free Member

yeah possibly Del, although im not over stretched on the Cove and that is longer in the tt than the 16" and the Cove is a 17.5. U guys are riding them all the time so u will know better. 16" it is and i think ill get the lock out on the fork 2. I did think about the bright Orange but after seeing a couple of used ones they looked quite faded. Maybe just not looked after mind u. I just love the Chrome grey. Anybody else got pics 2 whetten my appetite even more?

chunkypaul
    Free Member

my stock 2007 5 SE 20"

1981miked
    Free Member

Thanx 4 that Paul, that is a cracker. That's what mine will look like! Yum. Is that 32's on it? Are they rlc? Love that colour, hence why im having it. Sram or shimano then? Im used to Shimano kit.

rhys
    Free Member

Just back from 3 Countries Tour around Mont Blanc and I was surprised that when there were two sets of forks both pissing out oil, both Fox 32s the guide was pretty dismissive "well thats Fox forks for you!!?"

chunkypaul
    Free Member

fox float 32 140mm qr's came on mine, pretty flexy so replaced with pikes

wish the 36 talas and rear maxle were options when i got mine…

oxnop
    Free Member

Here's mine with 2009 36's and maxle rear end. Done llandegla and penmachno this week end and it felt great.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-bike-pics-oh-no-not-another-orange-5-2009-am

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 pro advice.’ is closed to new replies.