Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Orange 5 or sub 5 which one ?
  • stennah
    Free Member

Hi just fancy a bit of advice got the chance of a orange 5 straight top tube so 2006 ish with headset and kashima coated rp23 for £220 or a sub 5 which is cheaper. I’m on a budget but willing to go the extra if need be anyone had both and can tell any difference or any views on either ? Advice most welcome thank you ,Mark

mikewsmith
    Free Member

£220 for a 10 year old frame!!
    Probably way more than I would consider paying, think I tried one of the old Sub 5’s and didn’t really enjoy it. For that cash I’d probably head for a steel HT frame.

nickc

that’s a lot of money for a 26″ 10 year old bike, what’s the rest of the spec like?, would need to be pretty minty.

I think I’d be saving my money to put into something a bit newer.

twistedpencil

Aye that is a lot of cash for a ten year old frame. Sold my complete sub5 (2003) a couple of years back for £250, that had had a full tune up and newish hope hoops on it…

It was a cracking bike and lasted a long time, but I reckon you could pick up a better deal with a shop around.

stennah
    Free Member

Thanks everyone think I’ll try to haggle him down a bit it’s £200 + postage and it’s just frame,Kashima coated rp23,seat clamp and headset ,mikewsmith I’ve got a kinesis decade virsa but fancy a full sus a bit like my 2007 heckler ie single pivot ,easy maintenance etc etc

wiggles
    Free Member

I recently took a 2014/15 what ever the first 650b orange five as a part ex for £500.

Full bike with hope wheels, dropper post etc. So that seems like a lot for a mega old frame to me…

Shackleton

If I was selling that frame I think I’d be doing well to get £100 for it including postage. £125 if the shock was professionally serviced in the last few months.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s far too much cash for the frame. It probably will be no better than the heckler

cookeaa

~£200+ does actually seem about in line with eBay asking prices (which is probably part of the problem).

*example

Not saying it’s right, but Orange as a brand just attract VAGesque, over-enthusiastic, valuations both new and used…

stennah
    Free Member

Really do fancy a 5 or sub though like the ugly look reminds me of a t34 with the welds ,any ideas on a full sus frame for about £200 IF I shelve the orange build ?

stennah
    Free Member

That’s my problem cookeaa I looked on ebay so I thought it wasn’t a bad price was quite surprised with the response

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think we are mainly saying they sell for more than they are worth as a frame of that age. Your also buying unseen in terms of cracks and other features. It’s your cash in the end of the day though.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Cannondale Prophet of a similar era would probably be cheaper, and better.

stennah
    Free Member

Thanks mikewsmith wise words now I’m more undecided

senorj

That seems pricey .I had a sub 5.great bike at the time. Sold it the full bike 6 years ago for 550.similar to the one above , hope hoops etc. I prefer the slacker p7 that replaced it. 🙂
    We bought a fancy side board with the cash. 🙁

cookeaa

Cannondale Prophet of a similar era would probably be cheaper, and better.

Yup, or another Heckler.

stennah
    Free Member

Would love another heckler but not many around

dirtydog
    Free Member

£200 is the going rate for Orange Five frames of that age, assuming the shocks in good nick then that alone would be £100+ second hand?

pnik

If i remember correctly I got about 200 on here for my 2004 five frame 4 years ago, again with an rp23 not kashima though, so probably a pricy, but i guess they level off after a decade. I’d definitely recommend a 5 over the sub as they were considerably better bikes, geometry sorted, moved the pivot point down etc.
    I tested a heckler when i got my five in 2004, great bike but i preferred the five for general riding, the heckler seemed more built for abuse (and encouraged it). Whatever suits you and is available.

stennah
    Free Member

Wish I’d not gone on here I’m more confused than ever but leaning towards the 5 with the kashima shock

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What else does your 200 on ebay get you and how long to save a bit more?
    I’ve put several younger frames in skips. Not a fan of fatigued aluminium.

CheesybeanZ

To try and answer your original question – I had a sub5 then rode a Five – sold the sub5 and bought a Five . Nothing really wrong with the sub but the five is a better ride imho .

stennah
    Free Member

Nice one CheesybeanZ

ampthill

I think the sub 5 was very old school. More like an old mountain vision

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think the sub 5 was so called because the frame weighed less than 5lb i.e. an XC frame.

I personally would not spend £220 on a frame that’s over ten years old, when perhaps an extra £100 or so and I’d be able to afford one of the last gen 26″ frames (2013ish?)

core

If you can find a late 26″ model for £300 you’re a genius, I looked for best part of 12 months, nothing earlier than about 2010 for under £500 frame only.

Poopscoop

Unless you’re really desperate for a frame right now I would hold off.

EBay prices,a usual, are a bit non real world.

Keep your eye on the For Sale forum on here and Pinkbike.

You see some cracking deals if you keep your eyes peeled.

I’ve bought a lot of stuff off STW. People upgrading all the time so some very good quality stuff up for sale much of the time.

stennah
    Free Member

Easier said than done Poopscoop I’m an impatient sod !

Poopscoop

Lol, me too!

If you go for the 5 on eBay I certainly think you could mediate the price down a little. Particularly if it’s an off eBay money on pick up deal?

coatesy
    Free Member

Swapped my Sub-5 for a straight top tubed 5 years ago, and it was a big step forward for such a similar looking frame, far more stable, yet more responsive at the same time. Bent top tube model felt better still, but nowhere near as big a difference as between my previouus two.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

core – Member
    If you can find a late 26″ model for £300 you’re a genius, I looked for best part of 12 months, nothing earlier than about 2010 for under £500 frame only.

Where were you looking? There’s one on pinkbike right now. There’s another with a fancy ti shock for a bit more. Often see them on Facebook groups.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2061130/

stennah
    Free Member

Good call davidtaylforth but I’ve got straight steerer forks and qr rear end wheels for my intended frame which I know restricts my choices

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Most things like headsets/hubs etc can be converted to fit

creagbhan

[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/Qz1qYm

2003 Sub 5 taken June 2003

stennah
    Free Member

You’re probably not bothered or interested but I ended up with a 2005 Giant NRS for £100 hope I made the right choice thanks for everyone’s input much appreciated

legend
    Free Member

wiggles – Member
    I recently took a 2014/15 what ever the first 650b orange five as a part ex for £500.

Jeebus, you really took them to the cleaners then!

stennah
    Free Member

Did not go through with the NRS held off and got a 2002/3 Orange Patriot with coil shock for £75 posted – well chuffed but thanks to everyone how replied

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 or sub 5 which one ?’ is closed to new replies.