Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Orange 5 or nukeproof mega?
  • crotchrocket
    Free Member

Does Anyone know how the weight compares or even how the character of the two differs?

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Hello?
    Anyone out there?
    I can’t believe STW doesn’t have an opinion?

mrblobby
    Free Member

There was this thread on the mega a while back…
    mega thread

Probably too early to tell as still not out yet so not many opinions based on experience. There’s a review in singletrack that I think is available from the nukeproof web site (or maybe shedfire). Review seemed very positive.

jonathan
    Free Member

They’re on slightly different (but overlapping) bits of the XC-AM-FR-DH spectrum aren’t they? Five is more on the XC-AM bit and Mega probably spans FR, merging into AM and DH on each side… if you see what I mean 😉

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

After seeing the lovely neon-orange slackness of my mates new 5 the other week, I’m seriously tempted to look into replacing my Blur 4X with one.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They’re on slightly different (but overlapping) bits of the XC-AM-FR-DH spectrum aren’t they? Five is more on the XC-AM bit and Mega probably spans FR, merging into AM and DH on each side… if you see what I mean

You cannot be serious!

The Mega is on my want list, unfortunately living in Berkshire it gets nowhere near my need list 🙁

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Don’t get a 5. Theyr’e as common as muck (apparently), & theyr’e crap (apparently).

I’ve got one though, which I intend to keep cos It’s awesome.

chakaping
    Free Member

Nobody has got a Mega yet so don’t hold your breath for informed and considered responses.

Looks like the Mega will be a bit more Grrrr than the Five though – and require big forks like a Lyrik or 36.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I was was thinking of a 5 on 36s anyhow.
    I want something which can suck up the mega avalanche and mini DH in Spain or the alps. As well as let me get around 50k rides in the peak or Wales.

I think the mega might be too much gnarr and have too much mass.

Meta 55 might also do the job. Anything else super cheap out there?

jedi

i liked the orange blood

Northwind

If the Mega delivers on its promise it should be a real star, and if I didn’t already have a bike that does what it does I’d be tempted myself. But when will it land?

Five and Alpine are very well proven too o’course.

RagTi
    Free Member

Get a 5 for exclusivity ! 🙄

Strange comparison as the bikes are quite…differant, a bit like “do I get a Ford Focus or a Kia Sportage” ?

If you are more XC go for the 5, if you are more AM go for the NP.

Alternatively go for a far better specd bike for half the price and get a blinged to the max Carbon Cube Stereo.

Kev

Jeffus
    Free Member

I have a 5 and have been tempted by the Mega, I run 36’s on my 5 set to 140, would let them out to 160 for the Alps etc, I find the bike is a different ride with a coil shock, I’m not a big fan of the RP23 Boost that comes as standard, mine weighs in around 31.8lb.

I’ve posted a pic before so sorry to bore anyone. 😀

I think the mega would also be a great bike, I like the sound of its geometry very gravity orientated nice.and I’m sure a 30lb ish build would be possible.

Northwind

RagTi – Member

“Strange comparison as the bikes are quite…differant”

Mmm, I dunno. The fact that so many Fives are owned by total mincers who think they need a bike like that to do a lap of glentress red, doesn’t change that they’re total deadly weapons in the right hands, and pretty damn capable. I think it’s a lot to do with perception/marketing.

mwleeds

I want something which can suck up the mega avalanche and mini DH in Spain or the alps. As well as let me get around 50k rides in the peak or Wales.

If by mini DH in Spain you mean the trails that switchback DH ride, take a DH bike! A five will explode if ridden quickly down some of the tracks!

I have a strange alpine five which I’ve used for the mega a couple of times. It was ace! I wouldn’t want to take in on 50km loops in the peak though! Having said that it’s not much fun on the ups, unlike a regular five.

RagTi
    Free Member

True they are a capable machine !, I owened a 09 5 Se (it was a top bike), however I have seen a mega in the flesh and they are definately 80% AM and far more brutal looking that the 5.

And yes 60% of them are owened by mincers who bounce up and down on them in the car park at Coedy trying to get everyone to look at them and their 5, then divert around every black section “en route” !

injuredflanker
    Free Member

DaveBoyWonder,
    Sorry to hijack the thread.
    Is your Blur 4X a medium? If so, I would be interested in the frame?
    Cheers
    Mark

LoCo
    Free Member

Saracen Ariel maybe worth a look too, just waiting for my Ariel 2 as a mess about bike.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

http://www.probikeshop.com/orange-alpine-160-frame-mandarin-orange-cane-creek-double-barrel-2010/63694.html

1399Euros = £1200, then get extra 5% off with “mars” code. So ~£1140 for an Alpine with a CCDB (a ~400 quid upgrade from Orange).

Still got to build mine up 😀

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

And yes 60% of them are owened by mincers who bounce up and down on them in the car park at Coedy trying to get everyone to look at them and their 5, then divert around every black section “en route” !

😳

el_diablo
    Free Member

Get a Blood! There’s a lovely ex-demo on Oranges Website at the moment. (that’s where mine came from)

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

diablo how is the i7 seatpost bearing up? Looking at one for my new Alpine (sadly the joplin from my previous frame wouldnt fit) and theres not much choice in 27.2 with infinite adjustment, interested in your thoughts?

carbon337
    Free Member

I have a 5 and fancy a blood as my XC days are dwindling – the only problem with the blood is cost against a Mega and the 27.7 seatpost.

Wonder if the blood for next year will follow the five of this year and include tapered headtube and wider seat tube.

el_diablo
    Free Member

Well, it broke after about 5 rides, but Leisure Lakes tell me the all do, but since it’s been rebuilt, it’s been fine. L’Lakes said that they send most of them back for a rebuild (in all sizes) and they come back working better and more reliable. Mine does feel smoother since it was fettled.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 or nukeproof mega?’ is closed to new replies.