Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Orange 5 front mech help
  • MoseyMTB
    Free Member

So I’ve taken delivery of my 2016 Mk 2 Orange 5 frame and I’m getting ready to build. I have my e type front mech but quickly realised its not direct fit.

Am I right in thinking I need a 10spd double specific (BB mounted) e type mech?

I’m hoping to be running an SLX double crank up front.

I’d go 1×10 but I’m nowhere near fit enough.

rickon
    Free Member

30t front and 11-42 rear, you’re gonna lose barely anything from a double with 11-36.

If you’re buying new, there’s no point buying a double these days.

Doesn’t the five have a direct mount front mech?

alpineharry
    Free Member

I have a 2014 five and there are holes for a front mech, whether it’s the same on the new ones…

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah sorry, I’ve got a triple so going off your advice ill be be better losing the front rings and adding a 32t nw up front.

Makes sense.

Cheers

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

rickon
    Free Member

Looks like its an etype bb mech, or go single ring.

Unless youre hitting very fast runs on open trails, 30t is a much better option for a more usable range. 🙂

And get yourself an expander ring.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ll pick up a 42t expander ring then.

42t is ok with my 10spd rear mech right?

1981miked
    Free Member

Very nice Mosey.. Officially ordered mine during the week aswell.. Keep us posted on pics when it’s built.

rickon
    Free Member

As long as you’re not running a short cage rear mech (coming off a triple, you’re likely on a long cage) then it’ll be fine.

rickon
    Free Member

Also.. Superstar narrow wide rings are £15 with code JANRING

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/i-o-chainring-narrow-wide-style.htm

Having used a lot of narrow wide rings, superstar are very long lasting. Look a bit basic, but last ages.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yep it’s a long cage which is good.

Next question – chain guide. Yes or no?

andyg1966

I’ve got a 2016 Five and I’ve got 2 bolt holes for an e2 type front mech. Looks like yours is missing them. Bought mine December, looks like they’ve been forgotten, the website picture shows them. Time for a call to orange on Monday ….

rickon
    Free Member

Chain guide…. Depends 😉

If you’re often hitting fast bouldery descents, then yes. If not, then no.

A new narrow wide, chain and cassette won’t really drop without a lot of abuse.

You running a clutch rear mech?

pnik

Try it without to start with, I’ve not needed one on my five with a thick / thin, but im not the raddest dude in the world, initially tried going 1x with standard single ring and i was dumping the chain all the time. I doubt youll need a guide. Running ss 30 with hope 40 at the back, just about get away with it, not the fittest either.
    Have a triple on the other bike though, older 5 has option for front mech when i go to the big hills occasionally. I reckon 30/42 youll be alright.

robhughes
    Free Member

Yep.Seems to defo be missing the mount there.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Does it have the cable stops for a front mech?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

No guides at all are there. Hmmmmm

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Seems odd to be missing the top tube and seat tube mech guides too.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

The 2014 RS frame didn’t have a front mech mount.

Maybe frame only this year doesn’t? Or I got a dud!

Goldigger
    Free Member

My 2014 frame has front mech mounts and guides…

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Hmmmm so do I have a dud or a super rare frame ha

aroyalnit
    Free Member

Did you order the stealth version which has no front mech mount? 1*11 for you if so!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Does that exist? Doesn’t say so on the Orange website.

Poopscoop

Sorry, off topic… But that is one lovely looking frame and colour choice there mate. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

All the frames on the site have cable guides….
    Think you need to be calling Orange on that one…

aseward
    Free Member

The early MK2 frames, like mine, did have mountings and cable guides. The latest frames dont and are specifically 1x. I run 30×40 on mine with no probs.

andyg1966

Looks like they might have quietly dropped the front mech option, a phone call to orange I think. If 1x only get some extra discount to cover your costs.

I wonder when they made the change, mine is December and has the stops and mount.

Mine was frame only too.

No way I could pedal a 1x system around the Southdowns I need my 24×36.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

That’s a really nice colour but I’m concerned about the unfinished plastering/painting in the background

andyg1966

I wonder if its got anything to do with size, my frame is a large, yours looks smaller.

1981miked
    Free Member

http://www.bike-treks.co.uk/content/the-embargo-is-lifted.aspx

It says the front mech and cable guides will be gradually phased out, so I’m guessing they have done that already.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

It doesn’t say that on the Orange site and it actually states an e type front mech.

Hmmmm it’s going to add a chunk of extra cost to my build.

I probably wouldn’t have gone with the frame had I known.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well I guess stop building and call the shop you got it from. Sound case for a refund or a replacement frame.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah, closed today so I’ll ring Monday. It really needs updating on the site to show that.

Poopscoop

Perhaps Orange/ shop can source a frame for you from stock with front mech “support”.

Worth a try I guess.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’m hoping, as I’ve started the build and frame wrapped that they’ll just sort me out with an expander or some money back to source my own.

I would have considered other frames were I had to known as the 1×10/11 upgrade isn’t cheap.

rickon
    Free Member

No way I could pedal a 1x system around the Southdowns I need my 24×36.

With 30*42 you barely lose a single gear.

Most people up here in Scotland manage perfectly fine on 32*42 x11 drivetrains. Hell, you’d struggle to buy a top end bike without that config these days.

Orange are top guys, give them a bell tomorrow and explain the situation, I’m sure they’ll sort you out.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ll give them a call.

I’m sure it’ll be sorted either way. Really don’t want a refund as I love the frame.

Poopscoop

Small consolation and still an expense but if you go 1x with an sram gx setup (with an XT M8000 cassette if necessary to keep costs down, no XD driver needed etc) then the change to 1x isn’t quite so expensive.

Or all Shimano if you prefer, just not sure on their pricing?

Good luck either way mate, lovely frame that’s for sure.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 front mech help’ is closed to new replies.