Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Orange 5 for the Mega
  • Brycey
    Free Member

Been planning on a Blood build for the Mega, but after yet another quality day on the Five yesterday I'm not so sure I need the hassle. Anyone done the race on one? Anyone upgraded to a Maxle back end (presume I'd need a new swingarm), anyone put a Fox 36 on and regretted it?

Cheers all

mk1fan
    Free Member

Did it on my Cove Hustler (5-inch front and back) this year and didn't feel underbiked at all. Pikes (air) up front with 20mm Maxle and Hope 10mm, bolt up Pro II out back. Rear end felt better than when the hub was qr.

forge197 put some RC2 Talas on the front of his five and said it really was the limit on the frame geo – it felt better with 140mm

higgo
    Free Member

Did it on a Mongoose Teocali with Pikes. I'd rather havd had something bigger for the qualifier. For the main race, the bike was OK but let down by rider skill.

Unless you're really going to get the use out of a burlier bike I don't see the point of a special bike for the Mega. Just bung some dual-ply Maxxis DH tyres on your regular ride and enjoy it.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

The 5 will be fine. No need for 36's.

slowrider
    Free Member

what others have said, stick with what you know and love with a few changes such as dual plys, bigger rotors, chain guide

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Depends what year 5 you have. I had an 08 and put 36 talas on to replace my pikes. Much better HA and better all round. 09 are 1deg slacker though but i would still be tempted to stick a 36 on it.
    Also had a 10mm bolt up rear which is well worth it.

grumm
    Free Member

I did it on my Pitch with coil Pikes which was fine but I would have much rather had the 36s one that I have now. I am heavy and clumsy though.

Your bike will be fine with some dual ply tyres I'm sure – but if you can afford the 36s then go for it.

IA

You'll be fine. Get some super tacky high rollers on there and have fun!

Brycey
    Free Member

It's on '05 so fairly long in the tooth. I presume I'd need a new swingarm to have a bolt through back wheel, do the newer ones have removable dropouts?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

5 will be spot on.

Get the big forks (slack=good)

Don't bother with the Maxle upgrade. 5's are pretty stiff anyway, and it's a lot of cash for not a massive benefit.

jam-bo

10mm bolt through hub will fit straight in the back of a normal five swingarm

yatesy

iv just brought a 5 AM(maxle back end) with 36s for this years mega. i raced it last yeah on a spesh sx with boxxers and thought for most of it the sx was to big.i dint run the right gearing(38t with 12-27) and was a touch heavy for the climbs.iv gone for the 5 to use as a mini dh bike because of the weight size(im using a 16" im 5'11) and the fact they ride sweet.the 36's rack it out a bit so will be a bit better a higher speeds. im not a 100% on the geo on the older frames if they will take a 36s.give orange a ring for the best info.you can replace the hanger on the new maxle back ends

chunkypaul
    Free Member

done it on a heckler with pikes, then a patriot with 66's a year later

reckon a five with 36's would be ideal tbh, i've just put a set of 36's on my five and i really like the slacker head angle

i you are heavy on the brakes, a coil on the back would also improve things for this 30km event over an air shock

andycs

500 quid for maxle swingarm.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i'd say that something like an Orange 5 would be perfect for the mega.

enjoy.

Brycey
    Free Member

The helpful fellas from Halifax got back to me today; up to 150mm fork '05 and older, 160mm from then on.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 for the Mega’ is closed to new replies.