Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Orange 5 – but I live in the South !
  • landcruiser
    Free Member

I can feel the need of a new incentive to get out in this ‘poor’ weather, coming on…..

This incentive could manifest itself in the form of a new frame ! 😀

I do fancy an Orange 5. About the correct travel for the riding I do, better mud clearance than my old (now) Titus, and I like the asthetics, and britishness of it.

However….

I live in the south, and cannot achieve a northern accent ! is this a problem ?

souldrummer
    Free Member

Once saw someone riding up St Martha’s on a 5 and he was going up there like a mountain goat. Very impressive, so they are used in Surrey if that’s south enough.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

stick to 29’s

landcruiser
    Free Member

Yes.. Surrey ! *tick*

montylikesbeer

Get yourself a whippet, racing pigeon and something moist on your chips and you might get away with it.

Seriously if you like it got for it (I did but I do live in Rossendale and you are not allowed to ride anything else)

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Thread title made me 😆 . On the Isle of Wight I never see an Orange 5 from one year’s end to the next, and when I was on holiday in the Peak District last year, they were like red buses on Oxford Street.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

something moist on your chips

Make sure to put one on yer shoulder… 😉

derekrides
    Free Member

My Mate’s decided he wants one of those, I’ve explained about the accent you need and the ‘cough’ attitude adjustment, but he seems set on it, going to see the doc for a referral and going for the full charisma removal with cosmetic moob enhancement, bi-belly, even getting his shoulder chipped.

I’ll miss riding with him.

Kiril
    Free Member

I rode one in the south west, enjoyed it and didn’t turn into a troll!

TimP
    Free Member

I went past one on the way up to Devils Dyke on Monday just outside Brighton…on my Sub5.

Chadders
    Free Member

OI Southerner, LEAVE OUR BIKES ALONE!!!

Bregante

Orange 5

aesthetics

Well I never thought I’d see those in the same paragraph. 😉

brooess
    Free Member

A Five is great round Surrey Hills. Although you can feel the weight cos the hills are short and steep.
    I’ve actually gone all hardtail cos it’s more fun but you’ll still have fun on a Five.
    Email in profile if you want a 2004 18” frame with a pair of Pikes!

rupertpostlethwaite
    Free Member

Yes I’v moved back down to surrey, and I have a five.
    That’s the only good thing about northerners, apart from that they’re all bloody brainless lager drinking idiots! 🙄

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

I owned a Sub Zero in Dorset, but then i’m an idiot so that’s no recommendation. 😐

Zoolander
    Free Member

It’s all good. I’m in Bournemouth and ordered a five two weeks ago. I am at least half scouse though so it could be my inner northerner that bought it!

scuttler

That’s the only good thing about northerners, apart from that they’re all bloody brainless lager drinking idiots!

Lager? North? Them sweary northerners that have via the magic of vimeo propogated the notion that Fives are only rideable up North sup proper ale. After every ride. One of em even owns and runs a brewery dint tha know?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

That’s the only good thing about northerners, apart from that they’re all bloody brainless lager drinking idiots!

Now thats fighting talk – larger, larger????

TBH the lakes is doable on a 456 so all the way down there I’m surprised you boys have suspension

AJames
    Free Member

Ey up lad, best bit of kit on my bike is a sticker , it says hand made in Halifax! A couple of miles from where me and t whippet live! Awfully good bicycle by the way, make sure you spec with lots of hope goodies! But don’t scrimp on the casset, XTR only!

rOcKeTdOg

29er version is ideal for the south

ivantate
    Free Member

I bought a hardtail so I didn’t have to take my 5 south.

Clover

Buy a 5. We need the exports!

binners

You can get in touch with your inner northerner. As King Monkey said “Its not where you’re from, it’s where you’re at”. For an instruction manual on how to be northern and ride an Orange 5, watch this:

Pay specific attention to facial hair, industrial quantities of Yorkshire tea consumption, being permanently covered in oil, speaking incomprehensible gibberish and being utterly and completely mental….

Hope that helps

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Isn’t Guy Martin from Lincolnshire?

binners

With that accent? I can’t tell a bloody word he said, so I presumed he was from Yorkshire. Pretty handy rider on a five though.

And you should just watch Closer to the Edge anyway. He’s mental! 😀

flange
    Free Member

Yes he is, just down the road from where I grew up.

I often have this debate with people about Lincolnshire being ‘The North’. If someone asks me where I’m from, I say ‘Lincoln’ and they reply ‘f***ing northerner’….If I say I’m from the north, I often get the reply ‘no you’re not, you’re from the Midlands…’

You can’t win…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I have an 18″ 2008 Five frame I need to sell. In Surrey during the week.

Apologies for the lack of pithy humour in this post, but I’m hungover. And a Southerner.

freeridenick
    Free Member

over priced chunks built by proles.

you want a nice dialled alpine ti from sunny lovely surrey (via taiwan) 8)

Matt24k
    Free Member

I was riding near the top of Barry’s on News Years Eve on my Five complete with copious Hope bits and came across 2 riders both on Fives. May be it was a scouting party for a Northern invasion?
    Thinking about it, I did work for a company based in Stoke once and had to visit monthly. Do you guys think I caught a mild case of Northern Monkey Syndrome on my visits. This could be the start of an industrial injury claim. I think I should be claimimg for a Nicolai loaded with Chris King bits, an Audi with roof bars and a Gaggia Titanium.
    Or I could just forget all the stereotype BS and ride the bike that I like.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

you want a nice dialled alpine ti from sunny lovely surrey (via taiwan)

Is it? The dialled van always seemed to be parked outside my girlfriends block of flats in Sheffield?

MrNutt
    Free Member

I have a Sub zero in wiltshire, but then I’m also an idiot.

If you’re going for a five get the black gold addition, its way more IT Director than IT Manager.

landcruiser
    Free Member

Hold on I’m writing all this down !

*lips moving as writing*

Whippet……..
    Pigeon………

Paceman
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with riding a Five down South, we see a fair few round our local South/North Downs trails, along with alot of other 5″+ full-sussers. You make your choice and go ride, it’s all good IMO.

If you fancy a Five then get one, job done.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

You’ll need XTR & Kashima along with all the other Tarquins.

Oop north they are lyriks and SLX 😉

freeridenick
    Free Member

Our postal address is:
    Dialled Bikes
    PO Box 420
    Epsom
    Surrey
    KT19 7WD.

As as Kiwi who has lived in Yorkshire for 11 years and after living in the South for 3 years, you guys still crack me up – some great comments here, keep the argument going ….

However, I’ve got to support the Halifax lads here – Orange make simply great bikes, I’ve got the Five Pro and Alpine – they may look the same but both very different bikes and both a load of fun.

Are they a simple single pivot ? Yes. Pretty ? No. Are they heavier than most ? Yes. Does weight matter when you’re carrying a 5kg (3/4 of a stone …) backpack and a few pounds of pies and parkin cake ? No. Do they do the job ? Absoutely. Do they last when dropped on rocks or hitting trees ? Yes.

But to the main question, Should you get one if you live down South ? Yes, get a real bike. If you keep being a sheep and buy GT/Giant/Lappierre etc, with me being a kiwi you know what will happen … although then Welsh might beat me as they are closer

njee20
    Free Member

The bigger question there it WTF are you doing carrying 5kg of crap!?

I say ‘Lincoln’ and they reply ‘f***ing northerner’

Sound like charming people you mix with 🙂

If you like the bike, buy it. If I see you, I’ll laugh and point. I hear they’re doing a special this month – you’ll get a free flat cap to identify you as ‘one of them’ from afar.

flange
    Free Member

Sound like charming people you mix with

They’re all southerners, what I can I say…

5kg = 6 pack of John Smith and loaf of Parkin. What else ? 🙂

freeridenick
    Free Member

what is parkin? we only have focaccia in Dorking 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Orange 5 – but I live in the South !’ is closed to new replies.