Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Oral ulcer…
  • lipseal
    Free Member

…how do you treat yours, mines on the inside of my cheek just on the ridge line of my top teeth, hurts like hell.

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

rinstead pastles, num nor nouth

clubber
    Free Member

Bongela

headfirst
    Free Member

I get these a fair bit. I prescribe myself a dose of MTFU.

HTH 😉

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Oraldene mouthwash is good too.

TN
    Free Member

Adcortyl in Orabase is the best thing I have found to fix ulcers. I *think* you can buy it over the counter…

toys19
    Free Member

it’s bonjela al the way for me.

samuri
    Free Member

oraldene is the best. I used to get loads of ulcers as a kid, this stuff worked where everything else failed.

sofaking
    Free Member

anbesol used to work for me .
    but now i only use toothpastes without sodium laurel sulphate i dont gert them anymore. most sensodynes are good

read more here

blurb on tooth paste

Hohum
    Free Member

TN – Member
    Adcortyl in Orabase is the best thing I have found to fix ulcers. I *think* you can buy it over the counter…

That’s what I have used in the past and is the best IMO.

It does have a weird texture to it though.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I don’t have ulcers, so I just eat Bonjela anyway.

MrBlond
    Free Member

Dab with neat TCP (really).

Not pleasant, but it’ll disappear in hours

TN
    Free Member

Ho hum – yeah, the texture is a bit odd but it does the job.
    I have checked and you CAN get it OTC too.

philconsequence
    Free Member

my OH used to cut them off with nail scissors… she’d do the same with white patches on her tonsils.

she’s a freak of the highest order.

epicyclo

Vit B

Hohum
    Free Member

philconsequence – Member
    my OH used to cut them off with nail scissors… she’d do the same with white patches on her tonsils.

she’s a freak of the highest order.

How can you cut an ulcer off? I thought they were holes in the lining of your mouth/gums and if you cut them out you would just make a bigger hole.

Spongebob
    Free Member

How can you cut an ulcer off?

You can’t, the poster is a troll.

Just as nail scissors wouldn’t be long enoug to reach your tonsils and it would be nigh on imposible to accurately cut bits of them yourself, even if you did have surgeon’s instruments.

Cougar

I don’t know if it’s true, but I was once told that mouth ulcers were down to a vitamin deficiency.

Avoid chocolate whilst you’ve got one, it’s (again, I’m told) one of the worst things you can eat with an ulcer.

avdave2

I usually put salt on them. Eye wateringly painful for a few seconds but then it goes numb.

StuF

Salt is the only way

DrP

Ulcers are due to lots of things – vit defficiency, cancer, poor oral hygene, or most commonly….scalding hot pizza topping.

DrP

clubber
    Free Member

Most minor, single mouth ulcers are caused by damage to the mouth. For example, you may damage the inside of your mouth by accidentally biting the inside of your cheek while you are eating. Mouth damage can also occur from using a toothbrush incorrectly, or from a sharp tooth or filling.

Recurrent mouth ulcers
    The cause of recurrent (returning) mouth ulcers is often unknown. However, a number of factors may increase your chances of getting recurrent ulcers. These are listed below.

•Stress and anxiety
    •Oral trauma, such as excessive tooth brushing, or chewing sharp or hard foods.
    •Hormonal changes: some women develop mouth ulcers during their period. This is due to changes in the hormone levels in your body during your menstrual cycle.
    Eating certain foods can also increases your likelihood of developing mouth ulcers. Foods that have been identified as increasing the risk of mouth ulcers include:

•chocolate
    •coffee
    •peanuts
    •almonds
    •strawberries
    •cheese
    •tomatoes
    •wheat flour
    Around 40% of people who have recurrent mouth ulcers have a family history of the condition.

etc…

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Mouth-ulcer/Pages/Causes.aspx

bassspine
    Free Member

I gargle with Southern Comfort. Not when I have a cold sore, just when I feel like it. 😈

DrJ

I get them whenever I am stressed about something i.e. a lot. Sometimes it’s enough to figure out what is the cause of the stress. Otherwise ..

Can get it OTC, including by internet.

Salt, TCP etc are useless. Bonjela is good for short-term pain relief but doesn’t fix anything.

Fluff66
    Free Member

Ask a chemist — they’ll tell you that Bonjela isn’t really much use in comparison to Adcortyl in Orabase

I used to get em regularly and then followed advice to cut out toothpastes that contain sodium lauryl sulfate. SLS aggravates minor gum damage and turns it into an ulcer. Also acts as a skin irritant for some people. Details of clinical study below.

It worked for me. After about 4 weeks away from it, I stopped getting ulcers.

Herlofson BB, Barkvoll P (June 1996). “The effect of two toothpaste detergents on the frequency of recurrent aphthous ulcers”. Acta Odontol. Scand. 54 (3): 150–3

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Oral ulcer…’ is closed to new replies.