Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Options for lightweight disc wheeler for gravel bike
  • turneround

Need a 2nd set of wheels for road duty on the gravel bike. Needs to be 135 rear to fit the ti Croix De fer. Have a set of kings / grail at moment with cross boss tubeless, need a lighter option so I only take one bike to France next year. (Just tried a fav loop in the Dordogne this morning but she ain’t my moots climbing out of the gorges, moots retired for this trip as shreaded both tyres riding on ‘le gravillions’ yesterday

lardman
    Free Member

I use the Hope/crests on my gravel bike for off-road and Hope/`Mavic Open-pro for on road.
    Easy swap betweeen them when i need to.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

If you’ve same hubs it makes wheel swaps easier as (in theory) should be little adjustment to calipers.

But it’s a set of wheels for a trip then depends on your budget. Nice set of DT hubs and, say, h plus son hydra rims would be canny. Not sure how much lighter they’d be than current set mind.

Ben_H

I run Hope 20Five with Surly Knard 41c tyres for wet weather commuting and Kinesis Racelight Disc with Conti GP 4 Season 28c on dry days.

While both are of comparable quality and cost, the latter wheelset really perks things up on my Straggler (wouldn’t be hard to be honest!). With the same discs and cassettes, there’s c.900g between them – about 500g in the tyres and 400g in the wheels and skewers.

Because of the mudguards and wheel slippage in the dropouts under power, I run the Kinesis wheels closer to the frame. This means that I have to make slight adjustments to the rear disc caliper when changing wheels, but it’s otherwise an easy swap between the two.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Not sure how much you’re wanting to spend but I’ve got a set of Hunt 30Carbon Aero disc wheels that I’m going to be listing for sale this week some time.
    They’re 1338g for the pair and according to their website, one of the lightest disc clinchers around.
    If you’re interested then I’ll get my finger out and get some photos sorted in the morning.

turneround

Just pm’d you notmyrealname

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Could you resend the PM Please?
    Due to my fat fingers and trying to read it on my phone I managed to delete the message without reading it 😆

orangeboy
    Free Member

Far sports are good for carbon wheels and are where many brands get there wheels from to rebrand

But Ive been perfectly happy with my stans alpha 400 / Dt 240 wheels I build a few years ago for my cross bikes road wheels

turneround

Message resent

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Options for lightweight disc wheeler for gravel bike’ is closed to new replies.