Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Opinions – Transalp or F650GS?
  • rwamartin
    Free Member

Passed Mod 2 today (0 minors!) and looking at either a 2003 Transalp or a 2004 BMW F650GS.

What would your choice be and why?

Rich.

anagallis_arvensis

Depends on colours!!
    Go for the one thats been serviced best with least miles.

anagallis_arvensis

What engine in the beemer, if its the single go for the trannie.

br
    Free Member

Condition is key, miles are pretty irrelevant – seen many knackered 10k bikes.

Check consumables as a pair of tyres, pads, C&S and a service can easily see £500 spent.

And at that age I’ll guess that the LH fork seals are past their best too.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I test rode the new G650GS and the engine was bloody awful. I was expecting thumping vibes, yeah, but it was just harsh and revvy, and sounded like a skeleton having a w**k in a biscuit tin. I can’t imagine the older ones are any better. I’d get the Honda out of those two TBH.

amplebrew

Is there a reason why you’ve narrowed it down to just the Transalp and F650GS?

jota180
    Free Member

Not the BM please

Atrocious reliability on some bikes and expensive to fix

How about an ER6 or a Versys?

rwamartin
    Free Member

Is there a reason why you’ve narrowed it down to just the Transalp and F650GS?

Where I live is rural with plenty of gravel strewn lanes. Always liked the transalp style of bikes and that would be my first choice but there is a F650GS (a 650 version, not the later 800) locally – ’04 plate with 23000 miles on it. Better fuel economy but don’t feel it’s as bombproof as the Honda.

The bike is going to be stored outside and will be day to day transport, not a fair weather “toy”.

hot_fiat

The Rotax lump in the BM is quite good. Though I reckon you’ll get bored of the vibes with any single after a few months. Transalps always seem to be ridden by a particular sort of person. We ran into one in the queue for the ferry in ijmuiden once. He’d just ridden up to Cape Town. Alone. He had a goat skin saddle cover which he’d removed from the goat himself, presumably with the spork he carried as a key ring.

Have you looked at a ktm 640 lc4 in supermoto or enduro guise?

winston
    Free Member

Transalp every time

The engine is totally unstressed (as are most Transalp riders) and will go on for ever, 100k no problem – plus its more tolerant of bad servicing and consumables are cheaper

The bike is far more comfortable and will be less irritating day to day on the commute

Stoner
    Free Member

PS, while you’re in here, I’m considering making an NC700 my first big bike later this year. Which model do you have, S or XA? Anything important distinguishes between the two? Although the seat looks a good height on paper at 830mm ish, do you think a lanky bugger like me might need to lower the pegs?

Anything else I should bear in mind?

I’m hoping to get some demo rides at the local Honda dealer but I can get comparable s/H bikes privately for £1k less than they want.

Am also considering a transalp, but not a huge fan of v twin.

jota180
    Free Member

The X has a taller seat with a more upright riding position and more styled towards the ‘dual look’ market

They’re a nice enough ride but you’ll become bored of it quickly IMO

The Yamaha MT-07 is a much better option in that class IMO

Stoner
    Free Member

sorry, “PS” was meant to be “PP”, PeterPoddy, as I think he has one.

Thanks for that jota. I didnt realise the riding position differed as well. So def X is what Im after isnt it.

I’m quite sure I might get bored eventually, but Im after something fairly steady. Commutes, and light touring.

The MT-07 is a great looking bike for the money, but Im a sucker for Honda engines 😉

br
    Free Member

The MT-07 is a great looking bike for the money, but Im a sucker for Honda engines

Historically they’ve made some good/great ones but also a lot of mediocre ones with 5h1t mpg.

jota180
    Free Member

My current runabout is a Triumph Tiger 800

Now that has got a peach of an engine and pretty much does everything well

Pigface
    Free Member

Get a Tenere 660 mine is for sale 😀

Of the two I would go for the Transalp, that BMW single is a horrid engine as Podddy says no grunt at the bottom and really rattly when reving it.

alanf
    Free Member

If it’s being kept outside I would imagine the Honda will fair better in the deterioration stakes too.

weeksy

XT660X

I have one… although I may sell it on a whim today and buy a Gen 2 Tuono.

jota180
    Free Member

If you’re going to keep it outside
    Clean it thoroughly and meticulously apply ACF-50 almost everywhere

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Do Aprilia still do the Pegaso? Loved mine. Rotax single with an Aprilia 5 valve head I think?

mogrim

Going from memory here, but another possibility would be the V-Strom, IIRC it was one of the best of the bunch 10 years ago. The Transalp was getting a bit long in the tooth, I don’t think the newer model had been released in 2003.

anagallis_arvensis

BMW single is a horrid engine as Podddy says no grunt at the bottom and really rattly when reving it.

Its over geared low down and could do with a 6th up top. I have dropped the size of the front sprocket which livens it up a bit but anything over 70 is a trial. Mines the older carb engine. Bought for 900 quid five years ago and still going… well…..slowly 30 000 miles later. Kept outside till this last year, daily commuted on and almost never washed too.

To the OP if you look at the F650 check the head bearings its a major weak point, if they havent been replaced in the last few years they will need to be soon. Bearings themselves are less than 20 quid but labour costs if you dont DIY.

Having said all that I’df still buy the Trannie

anagallis_arvensis

XT660X

I have one… although I may sell it on a whim today and buy a Gen 2 Tuono.

you could give it to me

jota180
    Free Member

@Stoner
    The late Kevin ash could always be relied on to give good, reliable reviews.

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/honda-nc700s-review

jota180
    Free Member

On the Honda Vs BMW debate, there’s always ………….

Stoner
    Free Member

Jota – I’d read the Ash review. I think most of the negative points come from an experienced rider point of view – and I dont mean in a “I know better” kind of way, but in a “I ride fast bikes and this isnt screamy, revvy, fast how I like my bikes”

I actually want a low rev/sensible bike for a first bike.

jota180
    Free Member

I actually want a low rev/sensible bike for a first bike.

Add the Kawasaki Versys to your review list, a well sorted and supported bike

Stoner
    Free Member

Kawasaki Versys

IIRC too small for a 6’4″ Orang-utan like me! Bit like that hateful SV!

jota180
    Free Member

Be done with it then and get a Tiger 800

Easiest bike in the world to ride – no, really

redstripe
    Free Member

Of the two, Transalp. Reliable, smooth and easy to ride. I bought the first one in the UK in 87, had 2 others, plus Africa Twins and my favourite of all was an old XLV750R air cooled V twin trailie (which I just spotted someone is selling on ebay now, my old bike sniff sniff)

benp1

Tiger 800 would be a cracking bike, but I’m sure that would be over budget!

Not ridden an NC700 but I’ve heard them to be rather dull and boring (thought practical, sensible and economical), like the Honda Jazz the engine is derived from…

Stoner
    Free Member

Aye, Tiger 800 is 25% over Honday NC700 pricing.

thought practical, sensible and economical

that’s me, baby! 🙂

footflaps

Honda has much better build quality than BMW.

Pigface
    Free Member

Ahem ahem ahem 😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

sorry, “PS” was meant to be “PP”, PeterPoddy, as I think he has one.

Yeah I do. 🙂
    I’ve got an X, a manual one.
    Firstly, be aware all the ‘proper bikers’ hate them because they’re ‘slow and have no top end and you’re always hitting the rev limiter’ and ‘they’re not what biking is about’ and other such drivel, despite never having ridden one.
    If you want a bike to use as transport, for commuting etc, then I can seriously think of no finer all round commuter bike than an NC. Very light and easy handling despite the weight, certainly more manoeuvrable than the maxi scooter I had before it, and the height makes them great in traffic. ABS as standard is a must for me too. The storage space in the ‘tank’ negates the need for a top box for me too.
    I’d certainly tour on mine too. The engine purrs along at 3500rpm at 70mph. I’m averaging a smidge over 80mpg over 6000 miles done since 2nd January. Rear tyre should do 8000+ miles I think.
    Disadvantages? The swapped over indicators and horn take some getting used to. The suspension is firm, but I prefer that to mushy, it’s not fast….. But you don’t buy one as a weekend toy! It’s NOT an off-road machine either. But that’s about it. I fitted a scottoiler, Handguards and a Puig touring screen, all practial stuff
    You always feel like you’re short shifting but that works well, as there loads of torque. I rarely go over 5000rpm in all honesty and I’ve only hit the limiter twice in 6000 miles, you get used to using lots of throttle from very low revs if you want to make progress, and that works well.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

To be honest I’ve formed quite a bond with my NC. It’s got a lot of the best bits of all my previous bikes rolled into it. I can chuck it around with ease and it blats in and out of corners with glee. It’s a great bike with real character IMO. 🙂

metalheart
    Free Member

Transalp +1 for me. They hold their value quite well though. I was looking at getting one but ended up with a V-Strom instead as 2nd hand they were (locally) around the £5k mark (3 month linited warranty) and the V was just over £6k brand new, 2 year manufacturers warranty… Private sale should be a better price mind.

Vee Twins are ace. Like the way the engine brakes for cornering, etc. And they sound waaaaaaaaaaay better than yer 4 cylinder rice burners… :mrgreen:

BM’s, er, have a bit of a reputation. Honda has a better on for reliabilty.

Stoner – Versys too small? Jeez they are pretty tall, at 6′ I could barely get my leg over the seat… ER6’s are pretty small though.

Stoner
    Free Member

ah, maybe I was thinkin ER6, tried one at the motor bike instructors and had to go for the SV as the kwak was too small.

ANnway, I think Im sold on the NC700x. Cheers PP.
    I think pretty much the way you describe it is exactly my thoughts on how I want to use it. Im not a “typical” bike rider. Im late to the game. I like to ride sensibly and I think it’s the bike for me.

Will double check with some try-outs on the Bransons demonstrator later in the summer. Just waiting for a job fee to come in and I can go shopping.

was thinking of heated grips, touring screen and possibly a hard pannier set for but I might leave that for a bit.
    I do still need a top box though as I need to leave helmet & wet kit/jacket at the bike when I go to the train station.

jota180
    Free Member

Honda are due to change their current offers at the end of June [currently a finance deal] maybe worth seeing what that throws up?

Not unkown to offer a selection of farkles

Stoner
    Free Member

I got my PCX on Honda finance. Pretty good deal, but I reckon for the NC700 I will get a s/h one through the honda dealer, trade in my PCX, and rest in cash. Their own demonstrator is for sale with a few miles on the clock for only £4.5k.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Opinions – Transalp or F650GS?’ is closed to new replies.