Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Opinions please for an XC Race / Epic Ride 29er
  • silversladey
    Free Member

Hi All,

I am looking at getting a 29er, I want to build a race/ epic ride bike. It needs to be light but also offer a level of comfort. Events I enter range from the Welsh XC series up to 12 hour Solo.

I don’t want to spend more than £500 for the frame, I have drawn up a shortlist but as you all no, it can be nearly impossible to test ride bikes.

So I thought I would post up some possibilities and see if any of you have any experience or insight.

Salsa Marmasita Alu : I Really like the look of this, but I am slightly concerned about the extra frame weight, against the competition approx 200g-500g also the possible harshness of Alu frame.

One One Lurcher: Full Carbon a bit lighter seems the obvious choice.

Chinese Import E bay Special : Carbon Frame, Low weight, Internal cable routing.

Planet X Dirty Harry: A bit lighter than the Lurcher ,Low weight, Full Carbon

I currently ride a Trek Fuel EX 9. Which is a bit heavy but a really nice comfy do it all trail bike.

wwaswas

Kinesis FF29er?

njee20
    Free Member

Dirty Harry or eBay import I reckons.

roverpig

Depends if you really believe that frame material has any effect on comfort I guess. Personally I’ve never felt the difference and have a hard time believing that there is any. Tyres, saddles, seatposts all flex so much more than any frame and geometry (chainstay length etc makes much more of a difference than frame material in my experience). So, I prefer a light stiff frame and I’ll design comfort into the rest of the bike. The Kinesis FF29 mentioned above fits that bill.

weeksy

I’d still sacrifice some weight in the frame by buying a Spearfish or Scott Scale (or is it spark with the shock) and keep weight down with other components…

For anything that’s an ‘epic’…. comfort is more important to me than outright weight.

Clink

On-one Scandal? Spend the rest on lighter wheels?

njee20
    Free Member

I’d still sacrifice some weight in the frame by buying a Spearfish or Scott Scale (or is it spark with the shock) and keep weight down with other components…

It’s the Spark, but a frame is £1500+, even with the bargains flying around last week you won’t get close to £500!

dragon
    Free Member

I don’t know if Trek do them as a frameset only, but the aluminium frame used on the likes of the X-Cal and Paragon is superb, and the carbon used for the Superfly even better. Both would be ideal for your needs, then it just comes down to budget.

njee20
    Free Member

They don’t sadly, your only chance would be a ‘scratch and dent’ warranty clear out.

cp

If starting from scratch and need all new components, the half price lurchers are a good starting point, but needs press fit BB, direct mount front mech etc…

However, the Scandal is a bloody brilliant frame (I’m 4 rides in to ownership of mine, and it’s great!), nothing like the harshness normally associated with alu frames (I had a 26 Scandal before the 29er). If carrying parts across, the Scandal uses standard BSA BB, & seat tube mount mechs.

haggis1978

Sorry but that Lurcher is horrible! The head tube/down tube junction gives me the dry boke 😀

ac282

I know someone wtih one of these.
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2013.giant.xtc.29er.frameset/11850/56863/#specifications

Giant are doing some really nice things with Al these days

silversladey
    Free Member

Have got some hope Pro 2 evos with stans rims ready to go on along with a Reba RLT fork, build is going to be quite light.

silversladey
    Free Member

Weeksy,

Thanks for the links but I dont want to go down the Alu full suss route, due to weight and similarity to my current bike.

Anybody owned or ridden the Salsa, Is it that good to warrant the slight weight penalty ?

silversladey
    Free Member

Having an online nose at the Kinesis FF29 cake and cuppa at the ready !!!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The majority of weight is in the build rather than the frame. You’re better off investing in lighter wheels at the expense of a slightly heavier frame (and maybe cheaper). Even if you gain the same weight on the frame as you lose on the wheels so net weight is the same, the lighter wheels will provide additional benefit in less inertia and unsprung weight, which will improve the suspension performance at the end you have suspension. A pretty attractive benefit for racing and epic rides I’d have thought compared with the dead weight of the frame.

Also, Isn’t carbon stiffer than Al Alloy or any metal? It’s one of the principal benefits of carbon isn’t it? If so, then carbon will provide the harshest ride of all I’d have thought.

My 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 29er will probably be up for sale soon if that sounds like a suitable base for you to start with – even if it does have half a fork. But it’s an ultra efficient mile muncher and comfortable enough to ride all day (shameless plug I know).

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve got an FF29 and it is a really nice ride but I wouldn’t say it was a particularly comfy one for long events.

wwaswas

Also, Isn’t carbon stiffer than Al Alloy or any metal? It’s one of the principal benefits of carbon isn’t it? If so, then carbon will provide the harshest ride of all I’d have thought.

Clink

If you want a comfy hardtail for distance work look at the Niner SIR9/MCR9. Very complient ride and short seatube so long seatpots. But out of your price range new.

haggis1978

Get a steel el mariachi for £324 from active sport.co.uk and spend the remaining £176 on nice wheels and kit

Kryton57

wwaswas – Member
    Kinesis FF29er?

FFS! I looked at this thread with interest and amongst others it always comes back to this.

wwaswas – do you want to buy a Single speed 😀

weeksy

Anybody owned or ridden the Salsa, Is it that good to warrant the slight weight penalty ?

If you mean the Spearfish… yeah me…. i have one LOL.

Kryton57

wobbliscott – Member

My 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 29er will probably be up for sale soon if that sounds like a suitable base for you to start with – even if it does have half a fork. But it’s an ultra efficient mile muncher and comfortable enough to ride all day (shameless plug I know).

Could you email me some details / pics / price please – might be interested, my email is in my profile – cheers.

wwaswas

do you want to buy a Single speed

want? yes.

can? no.

Donations gratefully recieved however 😉

Kryton57

Lol! You’d get a special discount of course.

Mind you, when winter arrives I might regret selling it 😐

scotroutes

2014 Spearfish??

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Opinions please for an XC Race / Epic Ride 29er’ is closed to new replies.