Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Opinions on Trail Gator
  • TrentSteel
    Free Member

Anyone got one?

Was thinking of getting one so that my 5yr daugther can go for longer rides with me around the local park. She can do some riding herself then when she is tired I can connect her bike to mine and give her a little rest.

http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/biz/product.php?xProd=7507&gclid=CIyZz8z7n6QCFQIB4wodK1MI5A

wwaswas

I got one from Rutland Cycling via ebay.

My daughters 8 and uses 20″ wheels.

It’s fine on most bridleway type stuff – secure and she can pedal to help. Not as good as the trailer bike we also have but it does mean she can propel herself on the flat bits and also ride roudn campsites etc when we’re camping.

I’ve had a probelm when the terrain gets a bit ‘tech’ in that her front wheel/the trailer bar can catch my back one going over the lips of drops etc (this is less of a problem with the trailer bike as she’s further back and there’s a bit more clearance.

On balance I’d recommend for family trips if;

a) you don’t have/want to take a trailer bike
    b) you’re not planning anythign to adventurous.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I used one for a couple of years. As above, brilliant for commuting and light off roading. Watch out for how much the rear bike cuts in round tight corners, you’ll feel like a really bad parent when you trap the little one’s fingers against a cycle path chicane.

TrentSteel
    Free Member

thanks, yeah riding on tarmac or compacted wide pathways.

Seen a few positive reviews, just that last week saw someone using one and his childs bike was slanted sideways by about 10 degrees off the vertical, didn’t look very comfortable for him, the dad looked oblivious to it, is he just a muppet that can’t set it up properly?

Poor kid will have no problems riding beams when he gets older.

wwaswas

is he just a muppet that can’t set it up properly?

I’d say so, yes.

Only problem I had was the bracket rotated a bit on my duaghters bike which caused a bit of a tilt. Nipped it up and solved that.

Oh, and the bit that stabilises the handlebars comes loose occasionally – it’s not dangerous – just means the front wheel turns when she turns the bar rather than being locked straight.

iainc

I have one and rate it. The slant sideways happens when the clamp that fixes onto the kids bikes moves round – it is reccomended that you carry a spanner first few times you use it as these bolts will need tightened up more than you would think.

great on road and for blue route type stuff too – as others have said it’s a bit like having a long trailer when going round switchbacks……

the big benefit is that I can drag the wee guy up the hills to the flatter bits when I can then unhitch him and he rides himself

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Echo all the positive things people have said above. Easy, cheap, great fun for hte kids, pretty practical. Nip up the clamp ont he kid’s bike as they tend to loosen and you get the “slant”. For the money I can’t see why you wouldn’t.

Only used mine so far on a CNOC14 (or is it 16) but he was fine on it.

TrentSteel
    Free Member

Right, I’m sold on that then. She’s always asking when she go riding up the mountain with me 🙂

TrentSteel
    Free Member

Arghh, daugther’s bike has 14″ wheels which are supposed to fit but its a fixie and the website states they are only for use with freewheels also she still uses stabilizers. Do you reckon that is a deal breaker?

BTW how niche is my daugther? anyone else have a 14″ fixie 8)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Opinions on Trail Gator’ is closed to new replies.