Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • opinions on snow leopard
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

So if going to change my hard drive need my install discs which can’t find so thought might order a student copy of snow leopard. apple site has usual mix of fan boys giving it 5 stars and haters giving it 1 star so thought i’d gauge opinion on here

mrmo
    Free Member

it works, is faster than leopard, and flash is still $***.

johnners
    Free Member

It’s rubbish.

johnners
    Free Member

It’s great.

philconsequence
    Free Member

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWwwwwww

HTH x

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

its ok.

one issue I had…

on installation I didn’t tick the install rossetta box which caused a few problems with printers drivers, had to reinstall SL.

other than that fine

hoberinos
    Free Member

It’s good.

Although it might depend on how up-to-date the rest of your software is.
    My copy of CS3 doesn’t play too nice with the latest OS update (10.6.5).

piha
    Free Member

Whilst camping at 4200mtrs in the Himalayas we woke up to find a set of Snow Leopard tracks through our camp, so a thumbs up from me. 😀

fontmoss
    Free Member

um mixed response so far

cheers johnners 😉

clubber
    Free Member

Team Leopard-Trek?

http://www.leopardtrek.lu/

Not sure yet – really depends on how good their kit looks 😉

pixelmix
    Free Member

Works for me. It’s been out for a while, so the niggles shouldn’t be a problem. Lion available later this year I think?

But….. Snow Leopard discs seem to be labelled as an update from Leopard (i.e. you may need Leopard installed). Has anyone tried doing a fresh install on a brand new hard drive of just Snow Leopard?

fontmoss
    Free Member

was thinking ill update the system and make sure everything works then swap the drives, install snow leopard (think it’s 10.6 rather than leopard which is 10.5) and when asks for prev systems thing stick on my external hard drive with time capsule

organic355
    Free Member

you should probably just wait for Lion?

http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/lion/

johnners
    Free Member

Sorry, just pre-empting the usual STW spectrum of opinions on Apple!

pixelmix
    Free Member

and when asks for prev systems thing stick on my external hard drive with time capsule

That should work. I have a vague recollection that when I upgraded, the installer checks for an HD with Leopard (10.5 as you say) installed. This was a while ago though.

mrmo
    Free Member

i did a clean install using the snow leopard discs, and i am sure i have read that you don’t need leopard to install snow leopard, the only thing to be aware of, snow leopard will not work on power macs. One of the tweaks was to ditch the legacy code.

brassneck

Has anyone tried doing a fresh install on a brand new hard drive of just Snow Leopard?

Yes and it works just fine.

I can’t think of a reason to install an earlier version to be honest, other than on Power hardware.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Yes and it works just fine

That’s good news. I think the idea (presumably in the licence) was that as 10.6 was a relatively minor upgrade from 10.5 you were supposed to have Leopard, and hence it was only £26 rather than the usual £78. Good to see they didn’t try to enforce that in the code.

finnegan
    Free Member

Just FYI, if anyone’s thinking ahead to 10.7 Lion, apparently there’ll be no Java support in it. That’ll matter a lot to some people (eg in the corporate world where an ugly Java application often stands in for a proper cross-platform solution…) in the same way that no Flash support on the iPhone/iPad matters to others.

Snow Leopard is fine. Caused more problems for us with older applications (Filemaker 6, Quark XPress 7) than Leopard, but if your applications are reasonably up to date it’ll probably be all good.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Just FYI, if anyone’s thinking ahead to 10.7 Lion, apparently there’ll be no Java support in it. That’ll matter a lot to some people (eg in the corporate world where an ugly Java application often stands in for a proper cross-platform solution…) in the same way that no Flash support on the iPhone/iPad matters to others.

My understanding (which may be wildly inaccurate) was that this just meant that Apple won’t be releasing their own Java updates (i.e. the way they do just now through the Software Update app), but that Java will still work as you can get the Java updates directly from other providers (just not tweaked by Apple)?

This is quite different from the lack of Flash support on iPhone/iPad as that is a closed system.

Edit:- Quote from Steve Jobs – “Sun (now Oracle) supplies Java for all other platforms. They have their own release schedules, which are almost always different than ours, so the Java we ship is always a version behind. This may not be the best way to do it.”

finnegan
    Free Member

pixelmix your understanding may well be right – neither Apple nor Oracle have been clear as to what the implications of Apple’s statement are (hence my ‘apparently…’). Hopefully things will become clearer before Lion actually ships.

epicyclo

Been using it since it was released. Don’t have to think about it, it just works seamlessly.

10.6.6 has just been released.

fontmoss
    Free Member

bought a copy today guy said should install fine but he has had couple problems in the past…

Raindog
    Free Member

I bought a genuine copy (in an Italian box, if I remember correctly) for about £20 on Ebay. The disc is in English though, so no problems installing.

fontmoss
    Free Member

seems decent so far, managed to get 10gb of hard drive back so it must have tidied up something! does seem that the comp runs bit noisier than normal though 🙁

beamers

I love it.

My iMac came with it and it works a treat. Upgraded my MBP from Leopard to Snow Leopard and it is noticeably faster.

Here’s my picture of a Snow Leopard, snapped in Calgary Zoo:

Jamie
    Free Member

seems decent so far, managed to get 10gb of hard drive back so it must have tidied up something! does seem that the comp runs bit noisier than normal though

It will be less than 10gb recovered.

“In Snow Leopard, Apple has changed this convention and redefined “kilo”, “mega”, and “giga” in the system software to be their English definitions. As such, drive and file sizes will be calculated to be a slightly larger number than what they currently are.

For example, if you had a drive that your old Leopard system said was 100GB, based on the computer notation convention it would actually have the capacity of 107,374,182,400 bytes (100*2^30) and not the inferred 100,000,000,000 bytes (100*10^9) as the prefix “giga” describes in English.

With a drive that has exactly 100GB available on it in OS X 10.5 “Leopard”, upgrading to Snow Leopard would have the system report the drive as 107.3GB (making it appear to be a full 7 GB larger), even though nothing has been done to the drive itself.”

- Source

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘opinions on snow leopard’ is closed to new replies.