Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • opinions on endura mt500 overshoes.
  • oblique
    Free Member

I know there are mixed opinions (zip and stitching quality) on these and i am really not sure if should get them or not. Before you say it i really don't have the money for a pair of winter boots and last winter using "waterproof" socks has left my shoes looking more than a little tatty. If i had the money to blow it would go on replace my nearly dead year round spd shoes.

I am thinking that using these might keep my feet a bit dryer, defiantly warmer and protect my shoes from the destructive winter mud.

Am i being hopelessly optimistic about this product? Have the manufacturing improvements helped this product? Is the idea of using a overshoe off-road inherently flawed (i really don't think i walk that much)?

lowey

I used them for last last few winters over some cheap shimano shoes in conjunction with some merino socks.

I got 1 winter season out of a set and them they had to be binned. Fine if you ride all the time, but they get knackered pretty quick if your riding involved pushing / walking.

brakeswithface

The zip on mine has been bomber, and that's with cramming them over trainers. The stitching has gone after a year though, but I commute in mine. I'd probably get another pair, I treat them as been vaguely disposable I guess.

stumpy01

All depends where you ride and how much walking you end up doing.

My pair had lasted 2 winters, with only a couple of tiny holes on the bottom from where the grips on my spds had started to wear them. But, wearing them in a wet and muddy Peak District earlier this year has pretty much mullered them. They are still usuable but very badly worn.

Places like Thetford, they work well but rocky places where there might be a fair bit of walking thrown in they don't last long.

With regards to build quality, I had a zip fail on one of mine. They were getting on for 8 months old and were replaced without any quibbles so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Kahurangi

On mine:

Zip has lasted well. Material hasn't fallen apart yet, even after some walking when used to work.

However, the toe box rubber is overbuilt and doesn't fit my shoes well (it's been designed for shoes with pointy toes).
    They're not waterproof.
    The finishing on the cuff at the zip is poor, i.e. sharp melted plastic. I used them for a 4 hr race and was left bleeding on one leg from the rubbing. This doesn't happen on the Alturas I replaced my road overhsoes with, but they aren't cut high enough.

oblique
    Free Member

I would be annoyed if they didn't last one winter but from what you are saying if i treat them right and don't walk too much they should last one winter even if they look a bit shabby at the end of it.

stumpy01

oblique – Member
    I would be annoyed if they didn't last one winter but from what you are saying if i treat them right and don't walk too much they should last one winter even if they look a bit shabby at the end of it.

Sounds about right….they're definitely worth a go.

whytetrash

Mine rub on the cranks and that annoys me..they were warm during that freezing spell last winter though..I'm gonna winterise an old pair of shoes this yr…silicon sealent rubbed into the mesh panels and duct tape over that…gonna look gopping I know but should be toastier under overshoes 😉

br
    Free Member

I like them, but just accept that if you walk a lot on them the 'sole' will wear badly – but then its only thin material.

I get a winter and a bit out of a pair.

Keep my feet warm and dry though, when twinned with decent long lycra.

Whyte1
    Free Member

It's official whytetrash is a tramp 😆

The PRO mtb overshoes are very good

hughjengin
    Free Member

I'm gonna winterise an old pair of shoes this yr…silicon sealent rubbed into the mesh panels and duct tape over that

Whytetrash. why dont you go the whole hog and winterise your feet, you could cover them in silicone and wrap tape over that, and just pick it off in March

takisawa2

I used a set of the cheapo Aldi ones last Winter. They lasted well, & used with some basic SealSkinz socks kept my feet dry & warm. Actual shoes were some very old Shimano "skate" style shoes. I only tend to ride once/twice a week in Winter though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘opinions on endura mt500 overshoes.’ is closed to new replies.