Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Opinion: Mavic Crossmax Shoes?
  • pinetree
    Free Member

Anybody used em? What’s the general consensus?

Reviews seem to suggest they’re a bit too stiff for all-day riding, but great for racing. They’re probably a bit higher end than I need, but oh my god they are so yellow… 😀

stewartc
    Free Member

I think there are a million threads on them here, but to repeat:
    Great shoes, a little stiff for really long rides but that can be fixed with changing the insoles, I use the Specialized ones designed for flat feet.
    Hard wearing, good build quality, incredible grip for hike a bike sessions, don’t get too sweaty in hot weather (I ride in SE Asia where it does get hot) and they even make black ones for those not keen on the bright yellow.
    Cant really comment one what they are like in cold wet weather though, sure someone will be able to help there?
    Use mine in rotation with some Shimano 200’s which are also good though a little to stiff for me on epic rides (5 hours plus).

pinetree
    Free Member

Hey StewartC,

Thanks for your help! How do you find the wee neoprene cover at the top? Looks as though it might get a bit irritating/sweaty.
    I guess if you ride out there without issue with them, they can’t be too bad at all!

Cheers,
    Scott

stevied
    Free Member

If you want something a little less stiff have a look at the Alpine XL. Same styling but not quite as race orientated.
    Very happy with them for general riding, good for walking in too and don’t get too hot.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Well that’s weird. I’ve had a set for about a year. First up they are the most comfortable shoes I’ve had but I would definitely not say they were overly stiff.
    The last 2 sets of shoes I’ve had were specialized and both were noticeably stiffer than the crossmax.. The extra give in the sole was the first thing I noticed as soon as I started pedalling. So I’m a little surprised that the consensus is the opposite..

pinetree
    Free Member

Yeah, I like the Alpine XLs, but I like cycling shoes to have a ratchet, rather than just velcro.

To be honest, I think I’ve pretty much sold myself a set here, and with H1ghland3r’s recommendation, I think I’ll take the plunge 🙂

Cheers for your help, everyone!
    Scott.

stewartc
    Free Member

Hi PT, no issue with the cover, I guess I would have more if it wasn’t there and the drawstring laces were exposed.

pinetree
    Free Member

Hi StewartC,

I meant the cover up at the ankle, rather than over the laces. Just thought it looked like it might rub a bit.

njee20
    Free Member

Bit weird to make a shoe of that ilk really stiff, the Fury is a much more suitable race shoe surely (and still bright yellow!).

That said, I’ve used S-Works shoes for years and now on Bontrager RXLs and never found anything too stiff.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Opinion: Mavic Crossmax Shoes?’ is closed to new replies.