Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Opeth
  • darrell
    Free Member

just listened to their new album “Heritage”

and its quite marvellous

16stonepig
    Free Member

Oooh, must give that a listen. I loved Ghost Reveries

darrell
    Free Member

no death growling or any really heavy stuff. Kinda mellow prog. excellent

boxfish
    Free Member

Seems to me they’ve been listening to the first few King Crimson albums. Just gave Heritage a second listen this afternoon. Great stuff. Looking forward to seeing them in November.

_tom_
    Free Member

The song Slither sounds like Rainbow.

boxfish
    Free Member

The liner notes say Slither is dedicated to the memory of Ronnie James Dio.

CountZero

Strange coincidence, I was talking to a mate in the pub last night about prog and something someone had written in The Word this month, and he’s just got the new Opeth album, and he was saying how much it sounds like early Brit prog. I know nothing much about them, so I’m going to have to check the album out. Court Of The Crimson King was the first rock album I ever heard, borrowed from a classmate at school. Still a favourite after all these years.

Gary_C

Saw Opeth live a couple of years ago at Manchester Apollo, they were on the Progressive Nation Tour along with Dream Theater. Wasn’t impressed much with their early death metal shite, but their later prog style music was quite good.

chimptastic
    Free Member

I’ve only just got into them, after my mate kept on saying I should listen to them and go and see them when they are next touring. Which I kinda ignored for the best part of a year.

Wasn’t really convinced by the recommendation at first as it is not the usual thing I listen too. But yep am a big fan. Think Blackwater Park is my fave album. Not got the new album yet. But looking forward to seeing them at Manchester Academy on the 11th Nov.

Duffer
    Free Member

You’ll have to recommend me some good Opeth albums – Damnation is one my my favourite albums of all time, but i can’t stand death metal…

Which other Opeth albums follow in this dark prog kind of genre?

_tom_
    Free Member

Earlier Opeth is far from death metal (though I guess orchid could be considered it a bit), it just has growly vocals. Blackwater Park is such a good song, the riffs are so fun to play as well.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb9C1u8HsR8[/video]

Duffer I think most of the older albums may be too “metal” for your tastes but maybe give Watershed a go as I think it has more clean vocals in it, and some of the tracks have nice jazzy sections.

Duffer
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQuamQc9OjY[/video]

One of my favourite tunes of all time. This is the Opeth i love.

chimptastic
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/G1pi7Dn87mY[/video]

Liking this track very much

angryratio
    Free Member

My bro and i think they’ve been listening to wayy too much Focus.. but still sounds like Opeth.

Will be seeing them in Newcastle in winter. Can’t wait.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Opeth’ is closed to new replies.