• This topic has 224 replies, 110 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 225 total)
  • Oooh! It's back!
  • redthunder
    Free Member

😉

Fake News 😉 by [/url] – Flickr2BBcode LITE

maccruiskeen

You are Perchysimba and I claim my £500 plus vat

Where theres blame theres a claim

maccruiskeen

It was saying ‘last updated at 10am’ at 8.30am 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

The best thing about that screenshot of the holding page was the fact they don’t appear to have a premier sub judging by the ads…

fasthaggis

Years ago the Grauniad had a forum ,GUT (Guardian Unlimited Talk).
    A bit like here, it was very popular and full of some very diverse threads. One day,they just switched it off,for ever. Oh there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but in the end, people just found something else. So if the lovely old STW vanished for ever,it would be a bit like that scene at the end of the Truman Show,all the viewers would just change channels and see what else was out there. 😉

shermer75
    Free Member

Is it just me or did it just go offline again?

scuttler

all the viewers would just change channels and see what else was out there

Apparently there’s a site on the net especially for mums. I’ve heard its very diverse and has better swearing.

wwaswas

I like to think of myself as a content creator

Heaven knows there’s enough discontent creators on here.

ctk
    Free Member

I cant find search. Has it gone?

fasthaggis

Have you googled it?

Jamie
    Free Member

Tis the season for it.

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah, not for long.

What’s actually changed!?

perchypanther
    Free Member

All the windows have been bricked up and a SWAT team is running up the stairwell from the basement.

I thought it was the same cat but I wasn’t sure

munrobiker
    Free Member

I managed to read this whole page of this thread and it was still loading by the time I’d read every word and clicked “log in”.

It took ages to read the thread because it kept jumping up or down to the laser eye surgery adverts at the top and bottom of the screen – it’s done that on every page with that advert on it. To the point where the site is almost unusable.

Other than that, same old same old.

tomhoward

A bit like here

But with more bike talk

zokes
    Free Member

You’re assuming that the advertising on the forum pays for the actual forum, let alone the people who help run it too.

I know the advertising on here pays for the forum (or at least it certainly used to).

As others have said, it’s been done to death. As with sdb, I’m pretty sure I was buying the mag long before I found the forum.

I don’t personally subscribe as I’m now in oz and I hate emags. I was willing to explore international subscriptions to the paper version (and associated P), then Mark decided to have a petty argument with me over whether or not I was a customer, which sort of made up my mind on that one…

bikebouy
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

Yeah, not for long.

We’ve all moved over to the new platform..

fifeandy
    Free Member

loving the new large video ad that gets compressed into a tiny banner but won’t let you scroll the page any more.

Cougar

I’ll report it but I’ll need more to go on than “the video.” Or you can, email tech@

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

loving the new large video ad that gets compressed into a tiny banner but won’t let you scroll the page any more.

It’s the laser eye surgery one. Accuvue? With Sarah Cox. Plays automatically, with sound, is supposed to be square but compresses into a banner and every time you scroll it jumps back to the ad. Chrome, Windows 10.

scotroutes

Know or assume? I’ve seen this asserted before but can’t recall anyone from STW towers stating it or agreeing with it.

stumpy01

fasthaggis – Member

A bit like here, it was very popular and full of some very diverse threads. One day,they just switched it off,for ever. Oh there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but in the end, people just found something else.

Parkers (the car place) did the same thing; just switched the forum off one day.

Someone set up a notparkers forum, but it looks like that’s gone now too:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=1063305&i=0

fifeandy
    Free Member

It’s the laser eye surgery one. Accuvue? With Sarah Cox. Plays automatically, with sound, is supposed to be square but compresses into a banner and every time you scroll it jumps back to the ad. Chrome, Windows 10.

There’s another one too.
    Chrome, Windows7.

tomhoward

I’ve seen this asserted before

So have I.
    By Mark.
    You know those things we aren’t allowed to discuss/mention, that’s why.

Thought the mods would have been briefed on that tbh 😉

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Every page seems to load a lot slower for me now. Is this a way of putting people off so they will go elsewhere?

zokes
    Free Member

zokes » I know the advertising on here pays for the forum (or at least it certainly used to).

Know or assume? [/quote]

Know.

Because a) in the full context of my sentence, the forum used to operate without the P system, b) because of how often Mark et al. have stated that the ads are a very important income stream, and c) because how up front Mark et al. were of the financial implications of the hack, which pre-dates P.

Just one look at most threads indicates there’d be a much smaller user base without the non-Ps. Given how little P costs, i’ll leave you to do the maths regarding costs vs income if that became the sole source.

somouk
    Free Member

Still extremely slow loading pages for me. I’ll come back in another 12 hours and see if it’s improved.

Mark

The site went down earlier because of a DOS attack from some script kiddy in Brazil. The forum search is offline right now as part of us mopping up but it will back up shortly.

That was a great issue to have to deal with after yesterday. But we march on.

perchypanther
    Free Member

a DOS attack

Del *.*

format c:

zokes
    Free Member

Mark – Resident Grumpy – Block User – Quote
    The site went down earlier because of a DOS attack from some script kiddy in Brazil. The forum search is offline right now as part of us mopping up but it will back up shortly.

That was a great issue to have to deal with after yesterday. But we march on.

Thats just what you needed – why do people have to try to break things?

bikebouy
    Free Member

The kiddy needs employing if he can get past all the moans and groans on here..

Brave lad.

fasthaggis

Didn’t have you down as a dosser perchy 😛 😉

simondbarnes

zokes – Still not a customer

LOL 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

Didn’t have you down as a dosser perchy

Back in the day…..

I could free up base memory with a carefully crafted bootdisk along with the best of them.

Trying to run Doom on a 386SX25 wasn’t that easy.

Keepin’ it oldskool

zokes
    Free Member

zokes – Still not a customer

LOL [/quote]

Amuses me too, but has definitely been self-fulfilling when it comes to the likelihood of me acquiring a P

hot_fiat

Trying to run Doom on a 386SX25 wasn’t that easy.

<nerd>
    What, no co-processor?
    </nerd>

perchypanther
    Free Member

What, no co-processor?

Nope, the DX was the stuff of dreams.

Had 16MB of RAM though.

avdave2

Thats just what you needed – why do people have to try to break things?

Yes, especially when there seems to be a team of you working very hard already to do just that. 😀

redthunder
    Free Member

@perchy

Doom in your browser 🙂

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/doom-1nd/play-1nd

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 225 total)

The topic ‘Oooh! It's back!’ is closed to new replies.