Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Only 2 days left!!! Help needed!!
  • robdob
    Free Member

Only 2 days left at my current job, then I’m off to work for the Environment Agency. 12 years in retail is TOO long!! Finally using my degree in a job I know I am going to enjoy.

Couple of questions;
    1) 12 mile commute for me, overweight and unfit. Any advice? From Marsh in Huddersfield to Elland Road in Leeds
    2) I have never worked in an office before. What’s it like?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Don’t commute down the M62/M621 on your bike.

😉

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

well done robdob!

1) 12 mile commute shouldn’t be too bad, depends how bike friendly the A62 is.
    just take it easy and add quite a bit of extra time (maybe an extra 30 minutes). I’m looking at occasional commute across manchester 18 miles, downhill to work and uphill all the way home!

2) they’re concrete or metal boxes with windows. People go there to work together. A bit like a shop, but without customers, having to stand up all day and limited tea breaks.

You’ll be fine, offices are great as long as there aren’t any politics involved and the group of people you are working with are nice.

Enjoy it.

robdob
    Free Member

Why not? Google maps say it’s the quickest way. 😉

robdob
    Free Member

“wanders off into daydream”

no customers, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm aaaaaahhhhh

😉

Pigface
    Free Member

What job are you going to be doing in the EA. Iam an EO in Thames region. Sorry to say you havent left customers behind as yet. Hope you have fun in Leeds I trained with a few from there and they were a good laugh.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

they’re a different type of ‘customer’ though….

robdob
    Free Member

Yeah I’m going to be an EO. I know I’ll still get customers but it’ll be a world away from what I do now. My sis is an EO too in Newcastle.

johni
    Free Member

I have 4 weeks left in my job before “retiring” to look after JnrI. I can’t wait. Already have the child seat on my bike ready to go.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Have you seen that documentary called ‘The Office’?

robdob
    Free Member

It’s getting more and more difficult to do work these last days, but I do want to handover my work in a good situation.

robdob
    Free Member

Never watched it, no. Don’t really like “cringe” comedy.

mrsflash
    Free Member

someone in the office will irritate the hell out of you.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You’ll be fine.

Just don’t fart too loudly in the first week or two.

robdob
    Free Member

There’s a lot more than one person who irritates me here!!

Hmmmm PP, that may be a problem. I already have a guff zone in my current work. It’s not an area of the store we sell much from. Well, not while I’m in anyway. 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I used to be an EO in Thames, back in the day when we were EPO’s and before that waste regulation officers, or pollution officers.

Ah! happy days getting threatend by men in diggers and standing in waders in deisel filled rivers!

shinsplints

You’ll be fine,there will definately be someone in the office that you “would”…so that will pass the time !

shortcut

being the environment agency i would guess they will expect you to ride to work and provide suitable faclities for this.

you are probably well suited to an eo role there, they offered you the job, so i am sure you will be fine. the hours are probably very flexible so there will be lots of scope for taking the long route home.

have fun.

robdob
    Free Member

Yeah, about 12 miles there but the obvious route is the a62 which is a bit crazy. Probably should be plenty of scope for commuting in first 6 months as I will be training. As far as I know there is the bike to work scheme too.

shortcut

you’ll be fine ont’ pitch pro!

40mpg

Its common practice in offices to have a photocopy of your arse pinned above your desk. People tend to hide these from new starters so they don’t feel ill-at-ease, so best thing to do when you get there is to photocopy your own arse and pin it up where everyone can see, and you will fit in very quickly.

robdob
    Free Member

They will need a very large format photocopier in that case!!!!

robdob
    Free Member

Last day today!!
    Woo hoo!!!!
    😀

Pigface
    Free Member

Are you straight to Boot Camp next week?

robdob
    Free Member

No, week after that. What’s it like? My sister said they have changed it recently, new venue or something. Wonder if I get free food? 😉

meehaja
    Free Member

take some decent coffee with you and some posh biscuits, that’ll make everyone love you. 12 mile commute will hurt like hell for a week. then youwont notice it. then you’ll notice when you ride for pleasure you’re suddenly loads fitter than your friends. All is good, enjoy your new job!

Pigface
    Free Member

Boot Camp rocks, free food but it is not great. Your trainers will be Glaz and Bernard and a n other. Take your swimming gear as there is a good pool. The Firemen are pretty cool but the Cops on riot training are just d*cks. You will be group 30 something I should think. Enjoy.

robdob
    Free Member

Hmmm. Won’t bother with swimming gear as I can’t swim. I’ll just have to sit around instead. 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

They will stick you in a life jacket and you will be in the pool, you have to do it.

robdob
    Free Member

Eh? Why? They never said swimming was a part of getting the job. What on earth is jumping in a swimming pool got to do with being an EO?

Pigface
    Free Member

Health and Safety for working near water, dont worry one of the guys who trained with us couldnt swim and he did it. You go in, the jacket inflates and you float easy peasy.

robdob
    Free Member

I’m going to look great doing that. I am well scared of deep water, for obvious reasons. Oh well, it’ll be fun. Hopefully. 🙂 Maybe they will introduce a MTB skill section where you have to ride a bike down exciting rocky paths to get to a chemical spill. On an EA provided downhill bike, of course.
    I can dream….. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think they might be winding you up about the swimming thing.

(Me = Safety Rep for large quarrying company….Plenty water round here!)

🙂

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Only 2 days left!!! Help needed!!’ is closed to new replies.