Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Online storage and backup, who is the cheapest
  • woody74

I currently have a work setup of 2 Macs, 1 at work and 1 laptop at home. I then use Dropbox to sync all my work files so I can easily work in either location. I also use Dropbox on my phone to get documents when needed.

I thought last night that I should also start backing up my photos that are currently in iPhoto. Looks like I have 80Gb of photos and video so would have to upgrade my Dropbox account and things start getting pricy as I would need 200GB storage taking into account all my work files. That £115 per year.

The photos only need to be backed up and don’t need to be synced between 2 computers like my work files.

I hunted around and found that Amazon Cloud Drive is quite a bit cheaper at £64 per year for 200GB, however there is no way to access the files from your phone.

Does anyone have any other suggestions.

brassneck

Crashplan & Carbonite are the first that spring to mind, but they are per PC pricings so might not be any cheaper.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Factor in the time it would take to download 80gb of data if you needed to restore it and any extra charges that might incur.

footflaps

start backing up my photos that are currently in iPhoto

Flickr is free and has 1 Tb storage per user…..

somouk
    Free Member

Get a synology drive to back up to and use their photo app to access the photos on your phone. Presuming you have a smart phone with a compatible app available.

You can operate your own private cloud then. A little more outlay initially but no yearly cost really.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I was looking at Backblaze the other day… looks interesting.

skybluestu
    Free Member

I’ve just started using “Just Cloud”, which worked out the cheapest. They have some good introductory deals on att. You can have multiple device backup for free and tailor various other add-ons if required.

hooli

monstercloud have some deals going at the moment. Unlimited backup is £20 per year and it has a phone app.

You may need something more than this for syncing though, the above is just backup for 3 PC’s.

woody74

I thinkI will use the Flickr for the photo backup as 1TB is massive and why pay. I’ll check out the other sync offerings instead of Dropbox

Thanks everyone

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Online storage and backup, who is the cheapest’ is closed to new replies.