Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Online retail lies
  • atlaz
    Free Member

The other day I bought some tyres and rotors for the road bike, all four items were in stock so seemed to be no problem. Today I chased to find out when they’ll be posted and was told the tyres were on back order. And they’d be out soon. After asking what soon meant they said they didn’t know because the manufacturer hadn’t told them when they could expect them. After asking for a refund I was told the tyres would ship in 1-2 days. Then I got a shipping notice.

So we’ve gone from in-stock to out of stock but back soon to out of stock with no idea when they’ll be back to out of stock but in-stock in 2 days to shipped, all in one hour. Odds on the shipping notice being bullshit?

Oh and I’ll name and shame if the tracking code doesn’t turn up

thepodge
    Free Member

Lots of places like that, they want the custom but dont want to hold stock. Enthusiastic / downtrodden customer service staff generally not kept in the loop

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Or they had none in the warehouse, but went and got some off the shop shelf because you threw a hissy fit on the phone and they wanted to avoid an internet hard-man episode?

cb

I ordered a Night Vision jacket late last week from a chain store. Then bought the matching hood from Amazon. Come Monday morning the “sorry – we didn’t really have any stock” email arrived. They offered a £5 voucher but all that does is encourage you to spend more with them. Plus it cost that much for the hood…

Drac

Oh and I’ll name and shame if the tracking code doesn’t turn up

Damn! This shit just got real.

Maybe just maybe they had issues with their stock control.

MSP

Or they had none in the warehouse, but went and got some off the shop shelf because you threw a hissy fit on the phone and they wanted to avoid an internet hard-man episode?

fatbobb
    Free Member

Distance selling rules are on your side. Shove it up ’em and get a refund.
    That’s crap stock messaging and communication. Muck ups do happen stock wise, but then then you should be contacted and offered a replacement, a refund or to see if you are happy to wait. Not just left hanging.

I presume they have already taken the money for the out of stock items? Another archaic practise. Only take cash for the goods sent out at the point of actually putting it in a box to ship is how it should be done.

If the other stuff has been sent, you can also send that back for a full refund (minus postage, no reason needed.

I could go on…

atlaz
    Free Member

I didn’t have a hissy fit, I just wanted to know when stuff would turn up. Their ever changing story is the dodgy part, if they’d just said “yeaaah… stock issues… no idea when we’ll get more tyres” I’d have asked for the refund and bought elsewhere. No drama. Funnily enough some people don’t feel the urge to get all alpha-male on the internet but I see you’re not one of them.

zilog6128

Maybe just maybe they had issues with their stock control.

Depends on the retailer really, whether this is a genuine mistake or standard procedure.

Drac

Maybe.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Funnily enough some people don’t feel the urge to get all alpha-male on the internet but I see you’re not one of them.

Admit it, you want my babies.

P-Jay
    Free Member

There’s an outfit called Ballicom who are notorious for it – I recently ordered a laptop battery, mostly because they were the only place that had them apart from the manufacturer and they wanted half the price of a new laptop for it.

It was “In Stock, next day delivery”

30 seconds after I ordered I got the e-mail “sorry, we’ve looked in our warehouse and we’ve lost them, we’ll send one out the moment they’re in stock, it won’t be long”

6 weeks it took to arrive.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Online retail lies

You could always go old skool and go into a proper shop?

akira

Had this recently, yeah uts out of stock but we’re getting it in next week but we emailed you about it……no you didn’t. Next week same thing then they just cancelled the order and refunded me but didn’t bother telling me or responding to me. Shinybikes are rubbish, wouldn’t have used them but only place that had the item in stock……apparently in stock anyway.

forge197
    Free Member

Is annoying I had it recently from a site that prides itself in our stock levels are real, clearly not as in stock when ordered, next day get email to say we have none.

I just canceled and went else where and just won’t bother with them again.

LoCo
    Free Member

Online retail lies

A shock service or parts purchased from us will make you 112% faster & irresistible to women/men.

Online retail lies

matt_outandabout

😆

timidwheeler

A shock service or parts purchased from us will make you 112% faster & irresistible to women/men.

This is bollocks.
    I bought a lovely fork from Loco but 6 months later I am still stuck with the same bloke.

He has also just bought a bike which is better than mine.
    #stuckwith26inches

atlaz
    Free Member

You could always go old skool and go into a proper shop?

True. I’d suggest you try to buy a pair of 28c tyres in Luxembourg and let me know how that works for you. My guess is that it won’t. It didn’t for me and outside this, it’s online ordering as special orders tend to take ages and are pretty expensive due to the small market.

kerley
    Free Member

When that happens I just get a refund and buy from another shop that has accurate stock info.

If I am going to have to wait for a part then I need to know that before I pay for it.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

#stuckwith26inches

#nothingtobeashamedof
    #firstworldproblems
    #passthelube

Speshpaul

They are taking the piss.
    They are advertising a product they “think” they can supply as being in stock. You order it and they check with their distributor if its in stock. Then await until they have enough orders to reach the minimum order/free postage level.
    And fob you off with some old crap.
    Tredz are stars at this, but there are many others, is a “business model” but a shit one.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Cheapest not being the best shocker!

Walk into a shop, pay a little bit more, walk out with them in your hand…..

allfankledup

Every time wiggle fail to include haribo in their delivery I feel disappointment..

atlaz
    Free Member

Walk into a shop, pay a little bit more, walk out with them in your hand…..

You didn’t read the thread before posting did you?

Anyway, after telling me they definitely weren’t in stock and had no idea when they would be, they turned up in 48 hours. Got some money off vouchers and some haribo too (it wasn’t wiggle or Superstar)

matt_outandabout

White lies then?

atlaz
    Free Member

Maybe they’re shooting for underpromise, overdeliver. Admirable, but a bit stupid in this case

eshershore
    Free Member

@atlaz

There is a little more to your experience.

The retailer is using their distributors warehouse to supply their customers, rather than holding stock themselves, because you need to be a proper business to actually carry stock, rather than some flimsy zombie business

And they are sitting on your order money for a few days / weeks, using it as free credit to help their business cash flow 😉

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Online retail lies’ is closed to new replies.