Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Online mapping of the Alps (Mont Blanc specifically) – French TrackLogs?
  • higgo
    Free Member

Anyone know if there’s a French equivalent to TrackLogs/MemoryMap? It would also need to cover the bits of Italy and Switzerland required for the Tour du Mont Blanc.

Alternatively, is it possible to ‘draw’ a route in Google Earth? Any handy plug-ins?

basically I want to end up with a MTB ‘Tour du Mont Blanc’ route on my GPS. I’ve got a guidebook for the walking route and there are a few .kml files for the walking routes(s) knocking about. I’m planning to start with one of them and modify it for the sections where bikes are better routed another way.

ebygomm
    Free Member

You can get French IGN maps for Memory Map, see http://www.memory-map.co.uk/maps_france_onland_top25.htm

Not sure if they’ll cover the bits of Italy and Switzerland though.

You can draw a route in Google Earth and convert from kml/kmz to gpx, but not sure if there’ll be the level of detail needed to plot accurately.

snaps
    Free Member

When we were in Switzerland last year I was looking for XC routes & these guys names came up More than once

nasher
    Free Member

THe IGN as bove

However you will be limited to whats avaiable for Italy if any as the Italian maps are awful.

The french maps do show a bit of bordering country but not much, not sure if it will be the same on the electronic ones though!

fbk
    Free Member

I used to have a Memory Map covering the Portes du Soleil region – not the best detail (compared to OS) but reasonably accurate.

The MM ones cover the same regions as the paper maps so do cover bits over the border into Switzerland/Italy but the topo info stops dead on the border (the maps are completely flat from the border)

higgo
    Free Member

Thanks – I’ll have a look at Memory Map for the region then.

The Haute Savoie region will be useful to me generally. If they do include the Swiss and Italian bits near the border, all the better.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Online mapping of the Alps (Mont Blanc specifically) – French TrackLogs?’ is closed to new replies.