• This topic has 37 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by CHB.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Onion gravy – what's in yours?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

We had some snags with some onion gravy for supper.

We fried the onions until they were caramelised then added honey, maple syrup, Balsamic vinegar, a desert spoonful of marmalade and a pinch of dried Chilli.

Sweet and tangy with a little Chilli kick.

cheez0
    Free Member

Onion gravy – what’s in yours?

is this a trick question?

wombat

Cook onions (use what appears to be the right amount and then double it), make Gravy, add the former to the latter, serve and enjoy.

Other recipes may differ, IANAC etc etc

MSP

honey, maple syrup, a desert spoonful of marmalade and a pinch of dried Chilli.

That’s not gravy!

Drac

We fried the onions until they were caramelised then added honey, maple syrup, a desert spoonful of marmalade and a pinch of dried Chilli.

Nice chutney.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Hmm, you’ve got me thinking that yours may be more, well, gravy like. Ours was much more like a hot sticky chutney.

leffeboy

balsamic vinegar has no place in good food

Drac

I agree it should be reserved for very good food.

jamj1974

Roasted onions.
    Beef stock.
    Salt & pepper.
    Small spoon marmite.
    Cornflour.
    Maybe some port.

TheFlyingOx

My dad taught me this. It’s a bit basic, but I’ve never had a complaint yet:

Once it’s done, lift the meat from the roasting tin and put the roasting tin with all its juices and everything on the hob, low heat. Add chopped onions and get them frying until the thinnest bits are going a bit crozzled, and then add 500mL veg stock. Bring it almost to the point of starting to bubble, then deglaze all the burnt meat/onion bits from the bottom of the tin. Add a slosh of wine/sherry/brandy/whatever, depending on the meat, and then thicken it up with gravy browning (if you’re a purist) or granules (if you’re a philistine). To prevent lumps, it needs stirring pretty much constantly from the time you start deglazing. Transfer to gravy boat and serve. The most important thing is to leave a bit in the tin to mop up with the spare Yorkshire puddings when everyone else has retired to the drawing room. You did make spare Yorkshire puddings, didn’t you?

PiknMix
    Free Member

You need a teaspoon of red currant jelly in it.

Drac

The most important thing is to leave a bit in the tin to mop up with the spare Yorkshire puddings when everyone else has retired to the drawing room.

Ooooooh! Get you.

llama

Cook the onions for aaaaages
    (In much butter)
    Add alcohol and boil to nothingness (brandy, marsala, w wine all good)
    Make a roux with a little flour and decent chicken stock
    Simmer for 5 mins
    Season

TheFlyingOx

Ooooooh! Get you.

Well, it sounded better than “when everyone else has buggered off to the living room for the Emmerdale Omnibus, farting and belching like so many Onslows from Keeping Up Appearances, leaving me to the pots and pans and dishes and my thoughts and the dregs of the wine and… and…”

iwmunt
    Free Member

Slice onions, coat in olive oil and sugar.
    Roast untill caramelised, place in pan with butter and teaspoon of flour stir in balsamic vinegar and wholegrain mustard, add stock
    and reduce. Thats what I do with toad in the hole.

corroded
    Free Member

What you’ve made there is an onion marmalade. But you have reminded me that I’ll need to make some stock for gravy on Christmas Day.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Water
    Oxo cube
    Onion

jamj1974

You need a teaspoon of red currant jelly in it.

Yep.

slowoldman

The Flying Ox is right. You need some meat to start ir off.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

So no-one only the odd one or two of you uses meat juices in their gravy? Weirdos. Poncey weirdos at that.

iwmunt
    Free Member

Marmalade! Pfft

slowoldman

Maybe this “gravy” is to go with Linda’s veggie sausages.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

The Flying Ox – Member

…. to the drawing room.

you have a room just for drawing in?

dantsw13

Beef gravy – redcurrant jelly to sweeten. Chicken gravy/onion gravy, Marsala to sweeten.

Onion gravy:
    Gently fry onions in butter and olive oil until soft.
    Stir 2 tbs flour into then.
    Stir in hot stock
    Add Marsala.
    Herbs of choice
    Salt and pepper
    Reduce
    Eat.

Mcmoonter, if you had added stock and simmered, that would have made a fine gravy/sauce.

Cougar

So no-one only the odd one or two of you uses meat juices in their gravy? Weirdos.

Or vegetarians. Arguably the same thing. (-:

A little while ago, I set myself a task of making a vegetarian gravy that didn’t use gravy granules. Took a lot of failed experiments, but I reckon I’ve now nailed it. I’f got it scribbled down at home so, rather than do it from memory and get it wrong, I’ll type it up when I get home.

Cougar

you have a room just for drawing in?

Drawing rooms are for withdrawing to.

brant
    Free Member

I’ve been working on veggie gravy for a few months now.
    Half an onion, finely diced half carrot, few finely diced mushrooms, fry off then boil for a bit to make a kind of stock.
    Thicken with floured butter roux stuff.
    Balsamic and a couple of slugs of Hendersons Relish helps too. Salt pepper blah etc.
    I’ve even added ground toasted sesame seeds too for a bit more umaminess.

oldnpastit

Frozen red wine.

Bottle of red with a bit left over that’s looking too rough to drink? Freeze it in a jam jar, and then when it’s gravy making time, just scoop it out and add to the juices.

Cougar

Better yet, pour it into an ice cube tray. Then you’ve got ready-to-go “stock cube” wine.

slowoldman

Bottle of red with a bit left over

Run that by me again.

Cougar

Ok.

Cougar’s Red Gravy.

This makes about 250-300ml of gravy which I find is more than enough for two people. Not a gravy granule or any meat in sight.

15g butter
    1 tbsp rapeseed oil
    1 large / 2 small red onions
    1 tsp brown sugar
    1/4 tsp salt
    500ml veggie stock
    1 tbsp plain flour
    bay leaf
    1/2 tsp thyme
    1/2 tsp paprika (plain, not smoked)
    1/2 tsp onion granules
    1 tsp Marmite
    1 rounded tsp tomato purée

Slice the onion into fine strips. Melt the butter and oil together on a medium-high heat, then add the onion, salt and sugar. Fry for a few mins until starting to soften and turn slightly translucent.

Turn the heat down to the lowest setting, then leave them to caramelise, stirring occasionally so they don’t catch. This takes about 20 minutes.

Turn the heat back up to med-high, then add the flour. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes until it’s quite dry and the flour is nutty brown.

Add the stock and the rest of the ingredients, then turn the heat down to a fastish simmer. Let it reduce and thicken, stirring occasionally. Turn down the heat a little if it starts boiling madly. Again, this takes about 20 minutes or so.

(As you’re tasting it, if you want it a bit more meaty then add a bit more Marmite; if it’s a bit bitter, a spot more tomato purée or even a teaspoon of ketchup will sweeten it up.)

Fish out the bay leaf and serve. You should end up with a red-brown gravy, you can add gravy browning if you want a more beefy colour.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Gravy cannot be made without meat. That’s not gravy, that’s sauce ^^^

pomona
    Free Member

Gravy

What Nobeer and a couple of others said.
    Almost all of your recipes are sauces and not gravy. Gravy is a sauce made with meat juice

Cougar

I pity your narrow minds.

Try it and then tell me I’m wrong.

Cougar

From that link,

Origin

Middle English (denoting a spicy sauce): perhaps from a misreading (as gravé) of Old French grané, probably from grain ‘spice’, from Latin granum ‘grain’.

Ergo, gravy: a spicy sauce.

anagallis_arvensis

spare Yorkshire puddings

What? Sorry what? Does not compute.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Try it and then tell me I’m wrong.

I don’t doubt that it’ll be lovely cougar, but bearnaise is lovely, doesn’t make it gravy though.

Keyword in that explanation/origin is perhaps

CHB

As Yorkshire is the epicentre of roasts and savoury things with “pudding” in the title:
    Good gravy starts in the roasting tin.
    Couple of onions roughly chopped and 2-3 carrots.
    The roast sits on this (chicken, beef, turkey, lamb etc.
    After the meat is cooked you have the basis of the gravy awaiting in all its glory underneath.
    The next bit is a little freestyle, but I add gravy granules and possbily alcoholic beverages (red wine) and enough water to make it into a gravy.
    Whizz it with a hand blender and heat enough for the gravy granules to thicken…and voila great gravy.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Onion gravy – what's in yours?’ is closed to new replies.