Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • OneDrive – numpty needs help!
  • supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I have an older laptop with all documents stored on hard drive, running windows 10. I want to have those documents sync’d with onedrive so it’s on the cloud and accessible from a new laptop. Yet i still want to use old laptop so i want to make sure that any changes made to the files in the hard drive are mirrored on the onedrive.

is this possible – how do i do it?

i have the one drive app installed already.

cheers

meeeee
    Free Member

My pc, laptop,phone and tablet all sync files with the cloud provided the app is installed on them all.

EDIT but I’m an idiot and just realised you said onedrive not google drive so ignore that 😳

leffeboy

Once you install OneDrive on the old lappie you will have a OneDrive folder appear in windows explorer. Just MOVE all of the files from their current location on the lappie to that folder are you are done. They are both ‘in the cloud’ and on the local hard drive and OneDrive does the syncing. As always the way to do it is to try it with a single file first and once you are comfy with it try moving more

There is a much newer version of OneDrive that lets you pick which folder you want to sync but I’ve not tried it yet and it sounds like it might be a bit chaotic. I like simple. OneDrive folder = synced

edit: and of course, you need to be using the same microsoft account to log into both lappies

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

thanks leffeboy. After i moved the files, i presume all the quick links will have broken?

leffeboy

If you mean the links on the left hand side in windows explorer? I think yes unfortunately. But try one file first to see. Sometimes when you move things windows can track it but not always. It seems a little random

Cougar

If you right-click the OneDrive folder in Explorer you can select other (limited) folders to include, Documents and so forth. (This is with the Windows 7 app, dunno if W10 is different.)

leffeboy

Are you sure that isn’t the other way around? ie. include the OneDrive folder in the Document library rather than the Documents library in OneDrive. That’s the way it appears in Win10 unless you are using the new fancypants OneDrive for business

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘OneDrive – numpty needs help!’ is closed to new replies.