Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • One Up v Proper 1×11?
  • tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I’m just looking at potential specs and prices for a new frame. My most likely frame purchase doesn’t come with a front mech mount. The obvious choice on my budget is SRAM X1 however I’ve always been more of a Shimano fan, and despite the more competitive prices of SRAM stuff, it’s significantly cheaper to get a SLX groupset and the One Up conversion, especially in the long run.

Obviously lots of people are very happy with their One Up conversions, but most of those seem to be just that- a conversion of an existing drivetrain to get narrow wide on the cheap. Does it seem stupid to go for a “conversion” kit on a new build rather than just getting the SRAM stuff that is designed for the job? Is the shifting performance on One Up v SRAM a noticeable difference?

njee20
    Free Member

More than the range of the converted 1×10 is still narrower than 11 speed.

Personally (as someone with XX1) I’d just get the X1 groupset.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The 10t is a significant difference to an 11t and you get a mech that is designed for the gaps. Starting from scratch the sram system makes more sense to me.

pbooker1995
    Free Member

Pretty sure the new XTR 11 speed come in at a similar price to the X1. I’m running the new XTR and its great!

robgclarkson
    Free Member

I had 1×11 on one bike and the one up conversion on another….

I now have 1×11 on both bikes…

One is a mod that works ok-ish for 95% of the time, the other is an off the shelf solution that’s had hundreds of thousands of R&D money thrown at it and works perfectly all the time

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pretty sure the new XTR 11 speed come in at a similar price to the X1

But only comes with an 11-40 range so the same as chucking a 40t on an SLX setup.

portydave
    Free Member

I have X01 on my big bike, and a one up 40T converter on the hard tail.

The one up stuff is great and does the job fine. Shifting is good and the spread is almost as good as the sram 11 speed.

However, the X01 is better in all ways in my opinion, but extremely expensive. I got the group set cheap…..but just spent £160 on an X1 cassette after about 9 months!!.

Whether its worth the money depends on how much you have to spend really.

Dunno if that helps……

Northwind

I have 1×10 with a OneUp extender and radcage. It genuinely does nothing wrong; it shifts as well as any bike I’ve ridden, and it’s as reliable as any bike I’ve ridden. It doesn’t quite have the range of 1×11 but that’s the only thing I miss compared to the 1×11 bikes I’ve ridden (XX and X1 I think). I prefer the shifter feel of my Saint, mainly, but that’s not an 11 speed thing, it’s just SRAM being SRAM.

Cynical old me isn’t surprised that they’ve made the groupsets cheaper by cutting the price of the permanent parts, while the consumables are still made of gold.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

The 1×11 SRAM stuff ia great and I get why the cassette is so expensive it is very light. Too expensive for me.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback. I reckon I should just stop being a tight arse and go with the SRAM. Somehow totally slipped my mind that I’d lose the 10t on a conversion, don’t reckon I want to make a comprise on the overall range.

br
    Free Member

despite the more competitive prices of SRAM stuff, it’s significantly cheaper to get a SLX groupset and the One Up conversion, especially in the long run.

It should be significantly cheaper, better to compare SRAM 1×11 with XTR.

showerman
    Free Member

if you still want x2 or x3 then this will allow you to mount a front mech unless the frame is purpose made for single chain ring.
    im running xx1 and cannot fault it the range and spread of gears is great, even for that road ride to the trails
    http://problemsolversbike.com/products/direct_mount_front_derailleur_adapter

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

It should be significantly cheaper, better to compare SRAM 1×11 with XTR.

I don’t agree that SRAM’s 3rd tier 1×11 groupset is comparable to XTR. X0 or XX1 maybe but not the cheaper stuff.
    I guess my point is SLX is a level I’d otherwise be happy with, if the frame fitted a front mech.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

if you still want x2 or x3 then this will allow you to mount a front mech unless the frame is purpose made for single chain ring.

Purpose made for single chainring, no way that would fit round the seat tube, as it’s square. But thanks for the suggestion.

igm

My most likely frame purchase doesn’t come with a front mech mount

You still have front end options.

Direct mount mech (eg SLX) doesn’t need a cable stop.

On-One do a mount for said mech for a tenner – and a 100mm BB adaptor for a few quid extra.

I use one on my fat bike, it works and it’s cheaper I think than Problem Solvers.

Go 3×8 and amaze those 11spd boys with your myriad of gears – actually I was riding 3×7 on thumbies this morning and it’s very good.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

You still have front end options.

I’m not really seeing how I’ll get any sort of front mech onto here without a major bodge to be honest….
    http://www.transitionbikes.com/2015/images/Bike_Detail_Smuggler_4.jpg

igm

Slap it on. It’ll be right. 😉

Fair point. I hadn’t realised the dropper routing would interfere.
    That said playing with the mount and going either top or bottom swing to get a different clamp position might work.
    For a tenner it’s worth a try – unless you want 1×10/11 in which case fair enough, there are far worse choices.

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member
    I have 1×10 with a OneUp extender and radcage. It genuinely does nothing wrong; it shifts as well as any bike I’ve ridden, and it’s as reliable as any bike I’ve ridden. It doesn’t quite have the range of 1×11 but that’s the only thing I miss compared to the 1×11 bikes I’ve ridden (XX and X1 I think). I prefer the shifter feel of my Saint, mainly, but that’s not an 11 speed thing, it’s just SRAM being SRAM.

+1 – the Rad cage brings shifting up to par with anything else, so the only difference is the range, really. It’s a big saving, esp when you talk about cassette prices.

njee20
    Free Member

Pretty sure the new XTR 11 speed come in at a similar price to the X1. I’m running the new XTR and its great!

On what planet?

X1 groupset £470

M9000 (from CRC):

Rear mech: £120
    Cassette: £170
    Shifter: £60
    Cranks: £208
    Chainring: £72
    Chain: £24

So yes… similar in that it’s 50% more expensive, and has a narrower range!

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

the majority of that price difference is in the cranks and ring though!

And being about 300g lighter you of all people Nick should know thats worth it 😉

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Fair point. I hadn’t realised the dropper routing would interfere.

I was thinking more about the ability to clamp anything around the rather large, square shaped down tube!

njee20
    Free Member

the majority of that price difference is in the cranks and ring though!

And being about 300g lighter you of all people Nick should know thats worth it

I didn’t dispute whether it was worth it, nor that it weighed the same, merely that it sure as **** isn’t a “similar price”!

Personally I would of course have the XTR over X1, but would still have XX1, or a hybrid of the two, to get the better range and lighter weight of the XX1 cassette 😉

igm

Ahh yes… Square. Missed that.

chris_db
    Free Member

I have the OneUP 42t/16t/RadCage conversion on my hard tail and it shifts fine and I like it. Yes there’s one less gear and a tooth (just one mind) difference at the top.

It’s also not SRAM and has nice Shimano shifters rather than the clunky other stuff.

Oh, and however much I justify it, I simply can’t afford 11 speed….. 🙁

mikewsmith
    Free Member

one less gear and a tooth (just one mind) difference at the top.

About 10% though

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, you’d need a 47t at the other end to replicate the range!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘One Up v Proper 1×11?’ is closed to new replies.