Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • One up RAD cage?
  • matther01
    Free Member

This 1×10 business is getting more and more expensive! 😉

Sorry no link…on phone

leeroybrown
    Free Member

i’ll post the link
    RAD Cage

svalgis
    Free Member

Is it just me wishing that Shimano would have ditched any ideas of 11 speed for now (they kind of missed the train anyway) and have made a dedicated, big range 1×10 group (they could even have called it something with “enduro” in it for all I care) instead? With a 10-42 cassette and a mech specifically designed to work with it. That would have been sweet.

Not to say that this won’t work fine, I’m sure it will. Just thinking out loud…

svalgis
    Free Member

As this was posted first, surely the other one is to be considered a duplicate and BURNED TO ASHES.

Right?

Right!?

Northwind

Yeah why not

Well I had another watch of the video and I think I see what it’s doing, initially I couldn’t see any significant differences… So ordered one to have a look, it’s not that expensive and it’s pretty interesting.

matther01
    Free Member

Calling Mr Northwind…any chance you could please post a review of this when you get it fitted and ridden?

How much did it cost BTW and was it exempt from duty etc like their cogs?

Cheers

Northwind

It hasn’t arrived yet but will do. TBH I’ve been very happy with the stock mech but we’ll see if this is better I guess! It was somewhere around £20, I’d need to look it up for sure though

matther01
    Free Member

Cheers mate

Think the delivery date is 1st July. Don’t really want to fork out £20 if the shifting isn’t significantly different.

mrhoppy

Mine has arrived and I’ve just got it fitted, it was simple to do and didn’t take much longer than the guide video.

I’ve been able to back the b-tension screw off about 4-5 turns which has released allowed the mech to sit much better across all gears with more chain wrap on the cassette. I’ll give it a ride tomorrow and report back.

Northwind

Mine just arrived too but haven’t done more than look at it.

matther01
    Free Member

Awaits test rides and reports eagerly! 😉

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Seems like a good idea and I’d be interested to hear how you guys get on with it as I’d be keen to convert my Zee mech and get the 40/42t granny ring etc.

It’s certainly cheaper buying a 10spd cassette, the one up 40/42t with the 16t replacement sprocket and this part than it would buying the 11spd set up, particularly when the cassette is about £200 on its own!

mrhoppy

Well I gave it a good ride today, it certainly appeared to make shifting a bit sharper, particularly at the top of the cassette and it reduced the odd mishift I’d had on Monday. It’s not game changing or essential IMO but it does make a difference. It may well be more noticeable with slightly worn components, mines gone on a completely new drivetrain.

matther01
    Free Member

That’s interesting…as my issues are stiffness going from the bottom of the cassette (first to fourth cog) and get easier towards the top?

mrhoppy

It removed some of the stiffness going into the bigger cogs but the accuracy was more noticeable in the smaller cogs, I guess as the jockey wheel sits nearer.

distanced0
    Free Member

Okay does anyone have anything more to report yet? I have to admit I haven’t been massively with the shifting accuracy since going 1×10 N/W. I like the idea of extended range and crisper shifting. £70 delivered for the complete package from One-Up plus £50 for a new XT mech and chain is not outrageous. Anyone recommend anything other than an XT chain etc?

My SLX cassette and chain are by no means worn out but I think swapping the lot would give best results no? And my works components ring hasn’t seen much action since I fitted it.

mrhoppy

It’s worked faultlessly since I fitted it, I don’t notice it which is a pretty good complement.

Northwind

I’ve done a few more rides on mine including filling it with mud at ae enduro this weekend. TBH I never had any issues with the standard XT but it was a total bollocks to set up. The Rad cage doesn’t really seem any better- I’ve kind of forgotten it’s fitted already- but it’s childsplay to set up. Which ought to mean it’s more resiliant to mud, stretchy cables, wee knocks etc.

neiloxford
    Free Member

Makes the shifting faultless, highly recommended.

tonyg2003

One of the guys today was riding with this set up and a 42t Rex . He said it worked brilliantly

singlespeedstu

Mine has transformed my slightly suspect shifting to being spot on.

kimbers

nice review and update from oneup…….

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/oneup-components-rad-cage-review-2014.html

OneUpComponents (11 hours ago)
    Just a quick update on long cage and Zee short cage compatibility. SGS models of Shawdow+ (clutch) derailleurs and Zee (RD-M640) can be converted to use the OneUp RAD cage. This requires the purchase of a GS inner plate from one of several online retailers or your local shop. The part numbers are – Y5XC09000 (XTR), Y5XC09100 (XT, SLX) or Y50H09000 (Deore).

NOTE: Any of these three part numbers are functionally interchangeable. There may however be material or small aesthetic differences.

NOTE: Zee (RD-M640) uses the XT spring mounting hole on the RAD cage.

nuke

Anywhere to get in these in the uk?

kimbers

Oneup ship from the uk, takes 48 hrs from ordering

nuke

Sorry, you mean they ship from US to UK? Got a big bill on import duty on a Wingnut pack recently so im a bit cautious of importing from US

kimbers

Nope they have a uk distributor, just make sure you checkout from their euro shop , I think mine was postmarked from somewhere on the south cost, no duty

firestarter
    Free Member

Im genuinely curious. If people feel the need for a 42t rear cog why not just go 2×10 ?

nuke

Ace…thanks kimbers

kimbers

an extra pound in weight, cables, more clutter on the bars and another place to collect mud , I’m curious why anyone would want 2×10 on their bike ?

danti

If you’re on a 29er you may want as large a rear sprocket as possible for hilly areas, and the seat-tube shape / length of stays may inhibit the use of a front mech.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

struggling, where on the site can you see their prices in uk£???

firestarter
    Free Member

Dantis point taken . Kimbers that just sounds silly 😉

honourablegeorge

singlespeedstu – Member
    Mine has transformed my slightly suspect shifting to being spot on

`

+1 Night and day difference

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I much prefer the simplicity of 1x

firestarter
    Free Member

Tbh i can see 1x?? For cx but not really for mtb but what do i know. That said i think dinner plate rear cogs look silly 😉

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘One up RAD cage?’ is closed to new replies.