Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • One tyre, two tyres, and/or winter tyres?
  • Kryton57

BMW 330i. Puncture forced the replacement of one rear (a 255) the other is now at the limit. Do I replace with one and perpetuate the mis match tyres issue, or both and “waste” half a tyre?

And while I’m at it I’m doing 10k miles a year 3/4 is motorway – is it worth considering winter tyres whilst I’m doing so? I’ve not read the lengthy threads on here about the subject, but “get” that there might be benefits particularly for a 3l RWD…. Although the info on Blackcircles isn’t favourable with regard to fuel economy….

jeffl

Winter tyres depend massively on where you live and if you can survive without a car for a couple of days. I have some winter tyres and on the odd snowy day they’ve been dead useful. Ultimately though I don’t think I’ll be replacing them. However if your livelihood depends on being able to motor every day of the year then yes they’re great.

Positives
    + I can get into work on snowy days

Negatives
    – I’ve probably spend more on winter tyres than I would have if I had taken a days leave
    – I can now work from home so probably won’t be replacing them
    – Even when they have been of use when snowing there are still lots of muppets out there abandoning their cars and blocking the roads.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Winter tyres if you drive the majority of the miles in Jan and Feb below 7 degrees. Normal tyres if your drive mainly in warmer weather ie + 7 degrees.

Last year the temp rarely went below 7 degrees in Yorkshire.

Also if you go winter tyres you will really need to do all 4, plus the fact they are more dangerous + 7 degrees

Ive got a BMW, and for those 3 days a year it may help Im going to get some snow socks and leave them in the boot.

Kryton57

Normal tyres it is then cheers.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘One tyre, two tyres, and/or winter tyres?’ is closed to new replies.