4 1/2 year Mule finally passed away peacefully at home after many happy hours being dragged through valleys, up and down hills, and occasionally being thrown roughly to the ground. Replacement pack required with following spec:
- 10-14 litres. Pref on the upper side of that range
- 3 litre bladder/easy fill/no slumping/easy to clean
- Well thought out interior, pump and tool pockets useful + side pockets for gels etc. Somewhere to stash phone/sunnies good
- Compressable (is that a word? It should be..), if there's a second compartment to take rain jacket/extra layer that's easy to get too, all the better but needs to be able to be packed down when not full
- Tough but not super heavy
- Long back preferred, don't like NV mules but non NV a possibility
- Some strapping to take occasional armour would be useful, as would a helmet specific bit.
- Good adjustment on harness as I'm a lanky so and so.
Raptor 14 looks good. Had a look at one tonight but was the s/m and I want the long back one so prob have to wait for 2013 packs and pay list. Mule XV also in the running but just a bit small and HAWG a bit big.
I already use a charge Octane LR for night/short rides so this is more a day pack to take butties/tubes/pumps/spare kit/emergency badger etc.
Also looked at dakine apex (bit big). I'm sure there's something perfect out there. Budget I suppose to £100 if it's going to last another 4 years.
Real world experiences/recommendations appreciated. Ta.