Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • One night stay in Yorkshire – Whitby or Scarborough?
  • MrBlond
    Free Member

With some visiting friends from the US.

We’ll most likely visit both places, but as I’m driving, whichever one we stay in will be where we end up boozing.

Thanks

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Whitby every time – especially with Yanks in tow – they will love the cuteness of it.

lowey

Whitby. Love that place… stunning fish and chips too.

TooTall
    Free Member

Neither – York!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Definitely Whitby, proper quaint

MrBlond
    Free Member

Thanks, that was generally my thinking – have been to Whitby before, but not for about 15 years. (I remember the fish & chips tho)

Don’t really know much about Scarborough.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Whitby, no contest. Scarborough is nowhere near as atmospheric as Whitby with its Dracula stuff, the Abbey and the harbour. Hope they are untypical septics as the steps up to the Abbey are steep. 😯

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Whitby does def have interesting history for you to captivate them with, Cook, Dracula, er……….I’m sure there’s other stuff.

MrBlond
    Free Member

We’ll have to pass on the 199 steps as one of my mates is in a wheelchair.

Am anticipating a long, drunken push up a hill at the end of the night (it won’t be the first time)

chutney13
    Free Member

whitby’s lovely at this time of year, nice pubs with fires and all that sh1t.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It’s alright – the steps have wheelchair accessibility 😉

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

If you are planning on staying the night in Whitby, try the white horse and griffin – fantastic food and great rooms.

MrBlond
    Free Member

Oh dear.

I just *know* that’ll seem like a good idea when we’ve had a few 😉

midlifecrashes

Whitby and Staithes, bin Scarborough. I like Scarborough too, but only in the summer for fish and chips and wobbly biker girls.

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

We finished the C2C in Whitby then cycled to Scarborough. I definitely think that Whitby is better for more concentrated drinking. We camped near the town centre and often stopped at the Middle Earth pub on the way back – great real ales.
    We did not really find any good pubs in Scarborough but maybe that was because we camped and it was more out of town. As for fish and chips – I am surprised if a fish gets further than 30 yards from the sea before it is battered and fried in Whitby. There are 2 parts to Whitby, one side is all amusement arcades and chip shops and the other is art shops, old sweet shops and generally much quainter to wander round.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

That photo is the first 100yds of a bike ride that I’m leading next Saturday from the YH. 30 miles over Fylingdales and back along the Cleveland Way. Last year a few of the group sh@ themslves on that bit, it is steeper than it looks and falls away just before you get to the bottom.

edlong
    Free Member

Re. the fish ‘n’ chips thing – in Whitby I personally don’t rate the Magpie that highly (the famous one that has queues literally down the street in high season) – reckon the f’n’c’s much better from the “Quayside” just up the road.

Definitely Whitby, not Scarboro though, for the reasons everyone else said

MrsToast
    Free Member

Whitby. Enjoy the Pirate Adventure Golf!

MrBlond
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Am loving the comment “Whitby is better for more concentrated drinking”

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

NOT Scarborough, It’s a dump. Like Blackpool only on the East coast & not quite as bad.

matthewjb
    Free Member

NOT Scarborough, It’s a dump. Like Blackpool only on the East coast & not quite as bad.

Not quite as bad? It’s not in the same league as Blackpool for bad.

Scarborough has some nice bits. But Whitby is just great.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘One night stay in Yorkshire – Whitby or Scarborough?’ is closed to new replies.